Old 16-04-2003, 03:09 PM
brimon

Default Anigozanthos

I have just acquired a well grown Anigozanthos in a 5in pot from a local
bring and buy.
The vendor said it had been grown from seed brought back from Australia and
gave
the local name as Kangaroos Paw. I have never met it before or even met a
Kangaroo.
I suspect it is not hardy here, from its place of origin. I believe the
flowers are spectacular.
Have any of you experts grown it in UK and any tips or comments please?

Brian

Old 16-04-2003, 03:45 PM
TheS

brimon wrote:
I have just acquired a well grown Anigozanthos in a 5in pot from a local
bring and buy.
The vendor said it had been grown from seed brought back from Australia and
gave
the local name as Kangaroos Paw. I have never met it before or even met a
Kangaroo.
I suspect it is not hardy here, from its place of origin. I believe the
flowers are spectacular.
Have any of you experts grown it in UK and any tips or comments please?

Brian

A quick Google (on anigozanth-U-s) revealed:

"Anigozanthos hybrids -- KANGAROO PAWS -- clumping evergreen plants with
grass-like foliage that bear tall stalks of fuzzy, unusual, tubular
flowers, often in striking colors. They can be used as focal point
specimens or massed in banks. All make excellent cut flowers or
container plants. Sun to part shade, average drainage (at least), little
summer watering when established. They do well in pots and are pretty
forgiving. I can't figure out what their flower initiation signal is,
they seem to be continuously in bloom. They may initiate at cool (not
cold) temperatures and so be everblooming along the coast. They will
survive 20°F by resprouting from below."

I like them a lot, and grew them when I lived in Sydney (Australia).
They're found all over the place, particularly inland arid areas which
get plenty of freezes, so it should do OK with the cold here. Probably
just need to make sure they're well drained, I expect.

Enjoy,
Thes.

Old 16-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Kate Morgan

snip
I like them a lot, and grew them when I lived in Sydney (Australia).
They're found all over the place, particularly inland arid areas which
get plenty of freezes, so it should do OK with the cold here. Probably
just need to make sure they're well drained, I expect.

Enjoy,
Thes.

I had one last summer but lost it in the winter :-( Like them very much
sorry to lose it
kate
Old 16-04-2003, 07:09 PM
JennyC

"brimon" wrote in message
I have just acquired a well grown Anigozanthos in a 5in pot from a

local
bring and buy.
The vendor said it had been grown from seed brought back from

Australia and
gave
the local name as Kangaroos Paw. I have never met it before or even

met a
Kangaroo.
I suspect it is not hardy here, from its place of origin. I believe

the
flowers are spectacular.
Have any of you experts grown it in UK and any tips or comments

please?

Brian

Wonderful exotic blooms used a lot in arty farty flower arrangements
:~))
Probably not at all hardy in the UK
Jenny

Old 17-04-2003, 07:08 PM
brimon

Many thanks for all your helpful advice, folk.
It appears that the plant is not hardy and likes good drainage. I will take
due precautions and
hope I can persuade it to flower.
I wonder why "Kangaroos Paw" - what could possibly be the resemblance?
Plant common names are often obscure. I could never see why Acanthus is
called
"Bears Britches", for instance. I have grown it, scrutinised the flowers but
remain
puzzled - wierd, but all part of the fascination of gardening.

Thanks again - Brian