Old 29-01-2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Default For fox sake.

In article , Alan Holmes
wrote:

I fairly frequently kill mice, using a spring trap, which does not always
kill immediately, does that make me cruel?

It might if that was your intention but it's more likely that you've not
been setting them efficiently.

Rats & mice with breakback traps: Find a run close to a vertical
obstruction - eg. wall. If you cannot find one assume one runs along the
base of walls close to site of rodent damage.

Site the trap at right angles to the run with the bait tray about one
rodent's length away from it. The bait tray must be nearest the run. Bait
the trap with something sticky or firmly glued on. I find milk chocolate
buttons melted onto the tray are good.

For mice, set the trap from the start. For rats bait the trap but do not
set it. Replace the bait as it is eaten and then set it after the second
day. Once catching clear and rebait frequently. When catching stops leave
the trap baited but unset for at least a week, checking the bait and
replacing and resetting if it's taken.

This way the rodent approaches at from the end of the trap and has to pause
to take a tug at the bait. The arm is travelling at maximum velocity and
will catch it in the neck/thorax rather than flinging it across the floor or
gripping its abdomen in the angle next the spring.

You should find it rare not to get a clean kill.

Hth, Cheerio,

--

http://www.farm-direct.co.uk/

Old 30-01-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
wrote:

I fairly frequently kill mice, using a spring trap, which does not always
kill immediately, does that make me cruel?

It might if that was your intention but it's more likely that you've not
been setting them efficiently.

Rats & mice with breakback traps: Find a run close to a vertical
obstruction - eg. wall. If you cannot find one assume one runs along the
base of walls close to site of rodent damage.

I always do that!

Site the trap at right angles to the run with the bait tray about one
rodent's length away from it. The bait tray must be nearest the run. Bait
the trap with something sticky or firmly glued on. I find milk chocolate
buttons melted onto the tray are good.

I always do that, except that I use peanut butter!

For mice, set the trap from the start. For rats bait the trap but do not
set it. Replace the bait as it is eaten and then set it after the second
day. Once catching clear and rebait frequently. When catching stops
leave
the trap baited but unset for at least a week, checking the bait and
replacing and resetting if it's taken.

Don't seem to have any trouble with rats, perhaps they keep out of my way!

This way the rodent approaches at from the end of the trap and has to
pause
to take a tug at the bait. The arm is travelling at maximum velocity and
will catch it in the neck/thorax rather than flinging it across the floor
or
gripping its abdomen in the angle next the spring.

Mice, as far as I know, do not tug at the bait, but stand on the trap to
eat, thus setting it off.

You should find it rare not to get a clean kill.

Hth, Cheerio,

I wonder if you have been following this thread, it was in response to a
lady, and I use the term losely, who felt it was cruel to breed birds for
the shooting parties!

--

http://www.farm-direct.co.uk/