GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Inverted snobbery.... yawn. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/153269-inverted-snobbery-yawn.html)

Keith \(Dorset\) 04-02-2007 03:55 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

Good afternoon all,

What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with junk?

I'm talking about: old baths and tyres, half rotten roof battens, plastic
bottles and discarded carpet.... then there's the 'Blue Peter' greenhouse?

Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying out new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?

Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money...... yet the only crap I can stand
in our garden comes from the local stables - and the veg. grows all the
same.

Have fun whatever. ;-)

Keith

[email protected] 04-02-2007 03:58 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

On Feb 4, 3:55 pm, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:
Good afternoon all,

What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with junk?

I'm talking about: old baths and tyres, half rotten roof battens, plastic
bottles and discarded carpet.... then there's the 'Blue Peter' greenhouse?

Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying out new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?

Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money...... yet the only crap I can stand
in our garden comes from the local stables - and the veg. grows all the
same.

Have fun whatever. ;-)

Keith

I'm certainly not a snob and I'm with you Keith, some peoples' gardens
look like something from Steptoe & Son and what with all the recycling
rubbish littered everywhere, their plots or gardens look shabby.

JudithL at home

June Hughes 04-02-2007 04:18 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

In message , "Keith (Dorset)"
writes
Good afternoon all,

What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with junk?

I'm talking about: old baths and tyres, half rotten roof battens, plastic
bottles and discarded carpet.... then there's the 'Blue Peter' greenhouse?

Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying out new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?

Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money...... yet the only crap I can stand
in our garden comes from the local stables - and the veg. grows all the
same.

Have fun whatever. ;-)

Oh dear! Guilty as charged, although to my knowledge, I have never
admitted it here eight or so years of subscribing. No old baths or
tyres but old weighing scales, watering cans, discarded but whole pot
ornaments, shelves, tennis rackets, candles etc etc . Junk by anyone's
standards but I like it:)
--
June Hughes

June Hughes 04-02-2007 04:20 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

In message .com,
" writes
On Feb 4, 3:55 pm, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:
Good afternoon all,

What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with junk?

I'm talking about: old baths and tyres, half rotten roof battens, plastic
bottles and discarded carpet.... then there's the 'Blue Peter' greenhouse?

Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying out new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?

Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money...... yet the only crap I can stand
in our garden comes from the local stables - and the veg. grows all the
same.

Have fun whatever. ;-)

Keith

I'm certainly not a snob and I'm with you Keith, some peoples' gardens
look like something from Steptoe & Son and what with all the recycling
rubbish littered everywhere, their plots or gardens look shabby.

Well, Judith, my garden has old junk in it but doesn't look a bit
shabby. However, it does not have items such as old baths or tyres. I
do admit to having a Belfast sink, ancient chimney pots etc but it's my
garden and I shall do as I please with it. If people don't like it (and
all our friends do, than goodness) they know where the door is.
--
June Hughes

adder1969 04-02-2007 04:27 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

On Feb 4, 3:58 pm, "
wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:55 pm, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

Good afternoon all,

What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with junk?

I'm talking about: old baths and tyres, half rotten roof battens, plastic
bottles and discarded carpet.... then there's the 'Blue Peter' greenhouse?

Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying out new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?

Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money...... yet the only crap I can stand
in our garden comes from the local stables - and the veg. grows all the
same.

Have fun whatever. ;-)

Keith

I'm certainly not a snob and I'm with you Keith, some peoples' gardens
look like something from Steptoe & Son and what with all the recycling
rubbish littered everywhere, their plots or gardens look shabby.

JudithL at home- Hide quoted text -

I haven't used my going-to-the-tip-car all over the winter and now
it's become a raised bed for maple saplings and various fungal life.
I think I might take the wheels off for planters and leave the car on
bricks ;-)

JennyC 04-02-2007 04:32 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
Good afternoon all,

What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with junk?

I'm talking about: old baths and tyres, half rotten roof battens, plastic
bottles and discarded carpet.... then there's the 'Blue Peter' greenhouse?

Probably so that we don't stick out to much in our old cardies :~))

Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying out new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?

No - you have a tidy mind :~))

Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money...... yet the only crap I can
stand in our garden comes from the local stables - and the veg. grows all
the same.
Have fun whatever. ;-)
Keith

jenny

Bob Hobden 04-02-2007 04:33 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote
What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with junk?

I'm talking about: old baths and tyres, half rotten roof battens, plastic
bottles and discarded carpet.... then there's the 'Blue Peter' greenhouse?

Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying out new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?

Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money...... yet the only crap I can
stand in our garden comes from the local stables - and the veg. grows all
the same.

It's even worse on some allotment sites.
We have today finished putting down ex-Council 2ftx3ft paving slabs (bloody
heavy they were too!) along all our paths on our plot to cut down on the mud
and so it looks nice.

--
Regards
Bob H

La Puce 04-02-2007 04:47 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

On 4 Feb, 15:55, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:
Good afternoon all,
What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with junk?
I'm talking about: old baths and tyres, half rotten roof battens, plastic
bottles and discarded carpet.... then there's the 'Blue Peter' greenhouse?
Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying out new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?
Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money...... yet the only crap I can stand
in our garden comes from the local stables - and the veg. grows all the
same.
Have fun whatever. ;-)

In winter I must say I see lots more 'rubbish' as you call it than in
the summer. The grass usually in the summer covers it and stuff
sprouts out of all those empty containers which I'm sure the gardener
had intended to use for something but didn't get around to it. It's a
bit of a contradiction to recognise that recycling is important and at
the same time criticise those who 'collect' rubbish for another
usefull life again, isn't it Keith?! ;o)

But I'm with you with 'untidy' look of it all. I collect, I'm a crazy
collector, but I'm arty (I think) with it all and I have two sheds and
I try to keep everything in order. I'm not yet a bag lady, but the joy
I get when I find an old container, a bottle, an old waterring can,
whatever, makes me feel so good! I was given a fancy cahoutchouc vase,
very popular a few years ago. I didn't like the colour, and I felt it
unsafe with water and flowers in it. I instead used it to grow some
cucumber. I only got praised for it as it look fun and the container
was perfect to keep the moisture needed for the plant ...

http://cjoint.com/?cerBKzGfji

And then there's the little views you can create with an old window
frame ....

http://cjoint.com/?cerHXyYtjq

Old bikes for climbers, metal sculptures to sunbathe on (if you're a
butterfly) and old park benches ....

http://cjoint.com/?cerSf5Vtok
http://cjoint.com/?cerS5RFF3p
http://cjoint.com/?cerTEx2l8R

There's a use for everything. That's only the house, you haven't yet
seen my lotty ;o)

JennyC 04-02-2007 04:54 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
But I'm with you with 'untidy' look of it all. I collect, I'm a crazy
collector, but I'm arty (I think) with it all and I have two sheds and
I try to keep everything in order. I'm not yet a bag lady, but the joy
I get when I find an old container, a bottle, an old waterring can,
whatever, makes me feel so good!

I've several plants in huge grey plastic container that came from as kip
outside a Chinese restaurant....they have nice chinese writing on them -
even though it probably says "salted fish best before...."

I was given a fancy cahoutchouc vase,
very popular a few years ago. I didn't like the colour, and I felt it
unsafe with water and flowers in it. I instead used it to grow some
cucumber. I only got praised for it as it look fun and the container
was perfect to keep the moisture needed for the plant ...

http://cjoint.com/?cerBKzGfji

WOWeeeeeeeee!
Jenny

Bob Hobden 04-02-2007 05:23 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

"Martin" wrote
after"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote
[...]

We use crushed seashells.

Last year, the first on this plot, we put down fresh bark chippings which
did the job except that this winter the mud has come up through, hardy
surprising considering the amount of rain.
Won't have that problem again now.

--
Regards
Bob H

cineman 04-02-2007 09:16 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
Good afternoon all,

What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with junk?

I'm talking about: old baths and tyres, half rotten roof battens, plastic
bottles and discarded carpet.... then there's the 'Blue Peter' greenhouse?

Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying out new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?

Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money...... yet the only crap I can
stand in our garden comes from the local stables - and the veg. grows all
the same.

Have fun whatever. ;-)

Keith

Hi,

I have a planted toilet at the bottom (sic ) of my garden, complete with
backdrop of raised toilet seat.
Also old electric fire, quite ornate, which i planted last year, imitatation
black lead and brass.
I have several black plastic buckets which I purchased for 10p each from a
local florist which normally have gardeners delight and other sundry plants
in during summer.
Not got any tyres yet but thats a thought. Could get grandaughter to paint
them different colours, she would have fun with that.
Have sweet pea seedlings in toilet roll cardboard tubes, they rot down but
initially keep the moisture in well.
Grandaughter and wife are making me bird feeders out of margarine containers
next week, saw that on cbeebies today.
grandaughter is 6 yrs old by the way.

I am not a snob but find gardening enjoyable and fun, my garden is not for
show but for the family, includes 2 dogs as family.
regards
Cineman
P.S. each to his/her own.

June Hughes 04-02-2007 09:37 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

In message , cineman
writes

[...]

I agree entirely.

--
June Hughes

La Puce 04-02-2007 09:38 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

On 4 Feb, 21:16, "cineman"
wrote:
I have a planted toilet at the bottom (sic ) of my garden, complete with
backdrop of raised toilet seat.

Our toilet sink and roll ...

http://cjoint.com/?cewIcRfdNd
http://cjoint.com/?cewIFGGdWv

And kid's harvest, including picnic on an old bit of carpet tee hee

http://cjoint.com/?cewLckNS4N

Sacha 04-02-2007 10:54 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

On 4/2/07 21:16, in article ,
"cineman" wrote:

snip

[...]

If you can't express yourself in your own house or garden......well! It's
not MY kind of gardening but mine wouldn't be everyone else's, either. I
cannot bear gardens where things are planted in tidy rows and don't dare
flag in case they're ripped out and chucked on the bonfire - to others,
those are the perfect gardens. I don't like plants tucked into redundant
wellies and wheelbarrows, others love that. I suspect it's the same with
homes - we are of average untidiness which some would find chaotic. I've
never had a kitchen that didn't have a 'chaos corner'. OTOH, I have friends
who cannot bear to have a book put down on a table even while it's being
read. It has to go back into the book case to be taken out again for future
reading. That drives *me* mad but my 'untidiness' in leaving a book open
and face down on a table, drove them mad when I stayed with them! I knew
people who had silk flowers in hanging baskets because they couldn't stand
the 'mess' of fallen leaves and petals.......
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Farm1 04-02-2007 11:15 PM

Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message

What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with

junk?

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

I'm talking about: old baths and tyres,

Old baths make ideal worm farms (and they even have a drainage hole
under which to put a bucket for worm liquid) and tyres are very good
containers in which to grow potatoes. They can be stacked as the
potatoes grow and thus take into account the ability of spuds to keep
sending out roots right up the stem as they are buried.

half rotten roof battens,

encourages microflora in the breakdaown process.

plastic bottles

Hmmph! Have you never seen the water spikes that are stuck into the
ground and then have an inverted plastic bottle full of water stuck
into the water spike?

Probably not, but it can make the difference between having a live
plant or a dead one. You must live in a climate where it still rains.

and discarded carpet

Wonderful material for putting under mulched paths as it stops weeds
in their tracks (but it must be either a pure wool carpet or an old
fashioned underfelt that is of the real felt variety)

.... then there's the 'Blue Peter' greenhouse?

Don't know what this thing is.

Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying

out new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?

Gardens that incorporate old baths, old carpet, rotting roof battens
and plastic bottles can be just as neat in appearance as any other.
It's probably more to do with design and size than any real claim to
being neat. Any tiny garden can be as neat as a cutlery drawer as can
any garden that is properly designed with designated work areas for
all tasks. What is harder to achieve is to have a neat garden when it
is still in the development phase or that is struggling for some
reason.

My garden couldn't currently be descrided as "neat" as it's in full
blown drought and the dead grass where there once was a lawn is not a
pretty sight for neatnicks. Others who are also gardening in drought
would know just how good my garden currently is, given the conditions.

Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money......

Perhaps you just need to look at some things in a different way? For
example, having had cancer treatment last year, my veg garden got
right on top of me. I had a huge pile of weeds that needed to be got
rid of, but then I realised that if I could grow spuds under straw, I
could grow spuds under weeds. I now have a thriving extra patch of
spuds under weeds (in addition to the spuds under straw).

By doing this I'm effectively turning the weeds into compost by sheet
mulching. It works and works well, but then I have a big garden and
another garden on another farm and I have to do things that work
within the time constraints. Live is too short for me to run anal
gardens.