Old 17-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Rene Blom

Default Smilacina sp. CLD 0383. and other woodlanders

Hello,

In 1996 I Bought a plant called Smilacina sp. CLD 0383.( The collectors
number) at Washfield Nursery.

Now am I a collector of Woodlanders and I try to search for the origin of
that plant, so i can find out if they have the true name of that plant???

There are more plants who have a collector's number, is there a way to find
out were the plants come from???

Is there somebody who already collect woodlanders and want to exchance
plants???

Old 18-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Rene Blom" contains these words:

Hello,

In 1996 I Bought a plant called Smilacina sp. CLD 0383.( The collectors
number) at Washfield Nursery.

Now am I a collector of Woodlanders and I try to search for the origin of
that plant, so i can find out if they have the true name of that plant???

There are more plants who have a collector's number, is there a way to find
out were the plants come from???

Is there somebody who already collect woodlanders and want to exchance
plants???

CLD refers to the 1990 Kew, Edinburgh and RHS expedition to Zhongdian
(Chuntien), Lijang & Dali in China. Any one of the three organisation,
especially the RHS, might be able to give you details. Presumably it
wasn't identified at the time or hadn't previously been collected, so I
guess it may be a question of whether it's been identified in the
meantime.
Another possibility would be to look in the on-line version of Flora of
China to see whether it covers Convallariaceae yet and try to identify
it that way.
Interestingly, in my ancient 1997 - 1998 edition of The Plant Finder
there are only four species of Smilacina listed but in the current
on-line version there are about eighteen. There has obviously been a lot
of activity in the Smilacina collecting world in the last few years.

Good luck with your research.

Janet G