GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winter Squash (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/153987-winter-squash.html)

Bob Hobden 09-02-2007 04:53 PM

Winter Squash

Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

--
Regards
Bob H

Nick Maclaren 09-02-2007 05:13 PM

Winter Squash

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
| Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to grow
| something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin shaped,
| squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but have
| forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the seed?
| We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

Queensland Blue?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

La Puce 09-02-2007 05:18 PM

Winter Squash

On 9 Feb, 16:53, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

Blue Hubbard. And no, I haven't made it up ;o)

JennyC 09-02-2007 05:33 PM

Winter Squash

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 9 Feb, 16:53, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to
grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin
shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but
have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the
seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

Blue Hubbard. And no, I haven't made it up ;o)

ROTFL :~)))))))
Jenny

Farm1 09-02-2007 09:51 PM

Winter Squash

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and

Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want

to grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin

shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup

but have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the

seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

If you were in Australia, I'd recommend Queensland Blue or Ironbark.
(The Ironbark is well named - to cut it, an axe is probably the best
implement)

Bob Hobden 09-02-2007 11:09 PM

Winter Squash

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" asked
| Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
| Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to
grow
| something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin
shaped,
| squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but
have
| forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the
seed?
| We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

Queensland Blue?

Thanks but no, it was more like a large Blue Kuri.

--
Regards
Bob H

Bob Hobden 09-02-2007 11:10 PM

Winter Squash

"La Puce" wrote after
Bob Hobden asked
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to
grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin
shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but
have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the
seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

Blue Hubbard. And no, I haven't made it up ;o)

No wrong shape, as I've just replied to Nick it was more like a large Blue
Kuri.

--
Regards
Bob H

Bob Hobden 09-02-2007 11:12 PM

Winter Squash

"Farm1" replied after..
"Bob Hobden" asked
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and

Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want

to grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin

shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup

but have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the

seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

If you were in Australia, I'd recommend Queensland Blue or Ironbark.
(The Ironbark is well named - to cut it, an axe is probably the best
implement)

Well two of you have recommended QB so it must be OK. However it is not the
one I'm thinking about that was more like a large Blue Kuri. I'll have to
have a word with my friend that works at Wisley and see if he can ask the
veg man.

--
Regards
Bob H

Farm1 10-02-2007 12:45 AM

Winter Squash

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Farm1" replied after..
"Bob Hobden" asked
[...]

Sorry, I've only now realised on rereadin what you wrote that you
didn't want a recommendation. Dumb and sloppy of me!

I had a quick look at my Martin and Rix and there is a blue there
called "Crown Prince" which is more on the round side than the Qld
Blue but also less blue. If you know what I mean.

Rhiannon S 10-02-2007 12:50 PM

Winter Squash

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to

grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin

shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but

have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

There is an American heritage variety called Blue Lakota if that is any
help? I've googled, but can't find any pics though, sorry.

--
Tips for Evil Cult Members:
117. Never play strip Tarot.

Steve Harris 11-02-2007 11:32 AM

Winter Squash

In article , (Bob
Hobden) wrote:

instead we want to grow something to store and eat.
Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend

I would strongly recommend a winter squash called "Cobnut". It's not the
blue thing you saw but:

- Tastes like a superior "Butternut" squash
- Supposedly bred to ripen well in the UK climate.
- Works well for me

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/