Old 09-02-2007, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter Squash

Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 09-02-2007, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
| Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to grow
| something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin shaped,
| squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but have
| forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the seed?
| We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

Queensland Blue?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Feb, 16:53, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

Blue Hubbard. And no, I haven't made it up ;o)

Old 09-02-2007, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 9 Feb, 16:53, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to
grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin
shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but
have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the
seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

Blue Hubbard. And no, I haven't made it up ;o)

ROTFL :~)))))))
Jenny

Old 09-02-2007, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and

Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want

to grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin

shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup

but have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the

seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

If you were in Australia, I'd recommend Queensland Blue or Ironbark.
(The Ironbark is well named - to cut it, an axe is probably the best
implement)

Old 09-02-2007, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" asked
| Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
| Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to
grow
| something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin
shaped,
| squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but
have
| forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the
seed?
| We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

Queensland Blue?

Thanks but no, it was more like a large Blue Kuri.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 09-02-2007, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote after
Bob Hobden asked
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to
grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin
shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but
have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the
seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

Blue Hubbard. And no, I haven't made it up ;o)

No wrong shape, as I've just replied to Nick it was more like a large Blue
Kuri.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 09-02-2007, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" replied after..
"Bob Hobden" asked
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and

Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want

to grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin

shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup

but have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the

seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

If you were in Australia, I'd recommend Queensland Blue or Ironbark.
(The Ironbark is well named - to cut it, an axe is probably the best
implement)

Well two of you have recommended QB so it must be OK. However it is not the
one I'm thinking about that was more like a large Blue Kuri. I'll have to
have a word with my friend that works at Wisley and see if he can ask the
veg man.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 10-02-2007, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Farm1" replied after..
"Bob Hobden" asked
[...]

Sorry, I've only now realised on rereadin what you wrote that you
didn't want a recommendation. Dumb and sloppy of me!

I had a quick look at my Martin and Rix and there is a blue there
called "Crown Prince" which is more on the round side than the Qld
Blue but also less blue. If you know what I mean.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Decided we won't grow our normal big Atlantic Giant pumpkins and Turks
Turbans for Halloween decoration this coming season, instead we want to

grow
something to store and eat. Saw a blue/grey coloured, round, pumpkin

shaped,
squash at the RHS Wisley apple weekend which made an excellent soup but

have
forgotten the name. Anyone any idea what it may be and who sells the seed?
We have looked at all the usual suspects without success.

There is an American heritage variety called Blue Lakota if that is any
help? I've googled, but can't find any pics though, sorry.

--
Tips for Evil Cult Members:
117. Never play strip Tarot.

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Winter squash Dave Edible Gardening 1 08-09-2004 01:11 PM
Winter squash Dave Edible Gardening 0 07-09-2004 11:17 PM
winter squash not maturing Orin Hargraves Edible Gardening 4 26-06-2004 05:04 PM
Winter Squash Harvest George Edible Gardening 2 05-08-2003 05:12 AM