Old 10-02-2007, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone tell me what size heater for an 8x4 greenhouse?

Hi,

I have an 8ft x 4ft greenhouse and would like to add a heater to keep
out the cold.
I thought it best to get an OIL filled one rather than the electric
fan type.

I see they go in W rating from 1000w, 1500w, 2000w & 2500w.

Can anyone advise me what size is best?

I'm growing peas, tomatoes & carrots.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
Hi,

I have an 8ft x 4ft greenhouse and would like to add a heater to keep
out the cold.
I thought it best to get an OIL filled one rather than the electric
fan type.

I see they go in W rating from 1000w, 1500w, 2000w & 2500w.

Can anyone advise me what size is best?

I'm growing peas, tomatoes & carrots.

Thanks

A 1200W oil filled heater warms our conservatory satisfactorily which is 5
metres square. It is insulated with double glazing and thermal blinds so
this is an advantage.

I would have thought the 1000W or 1500W would be adequate for your needs.
This said many come with dual control whereby some reduction/increase in
heat can be applied. It may be wise to get a higher rated unit with this
control then at least you can increase/decrease as required.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
Hi,

I have an 8ft x 4ft greenhouse and would like to add a heater to keep
out the cold.
I thought it best to get an OIL filled one rather than the electric
fan type.

I see they go in W rating from 1000w, 1500w, 2000w & 2500w.

Can anyone advise me what size is best?

I'm growing peas, tomatoes & carrots.

Thanks

I do not heat mine but I am confident that if you google for greenhouse
heaters one of the sites you hit will have a table for working out what you
need (there are several variables - i.e. lean too or free standing what
temperature above outside you wish to maintain and whether there is any
insulation).

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
Hi,

I have an 8ft x 4ft greenhouse and would like to add a heater to keep
out the cold.
I thought it best to get an OIL filled one rather than the electric
fan type.

I see they go in W rating from 1000w, 1500w, 2000w & 2500w.

Can anyone advise me what size is best?

I'm growing peas, tomatoes & carrots.

Thanks

Tina
I have heated various greenhouses for 30plus years - I have used paraffin,
butane & electricity.
Electricity may be more expensive but it is so much better & easier to use.
For the last 20 years I have used fan heaters.
My current set-up is a Bio Green Nevada 3kw fan heater which has a
distribution pipe with holes at intervals which allows even distribution of
heat. The greenhouse is 8x10 and is currently kept at 63f due to the very
accurate thermostat on the heater.
The advantage of a fan heater is that it will circulate the air eliminating
any cold spots & keeping down the mildew & fungus diseases - it can also be
used as a fan only to cool in the summer.
Parasene do good fan heaters for starters - usually available at the DIY
warehouses & garden centres.
Whilst you ask which size heater - this is not terribly relevant if the
heater has a thermostat - for the size you state I would have thought 1.5k
of greater.

Steve

Old 12-02-2007, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tina wrote:

Hi,

I have an 8ft x 4ft greenhouse and would like to add a heater to keep
out the cold.
I thought it best to get an OIL filled one rather than the electric
fan type.

I see they go in W rating from 1000w, 1500w, 2000w & 2500w.

Can anyone advise me what size is best?

I'm growing peas, tomatoes & carrots.

Thanks

I use a parafin heater in an 8x6 greenhouse, and it can maintain the
greenhouse frost free without insulation, or keep it 5+C nearly all winter
with bubblewrap. The heater has two chimneys with two wicks in each chimney
and cost about £30 a few years ago. This has proved to be very economical
to run, and very effective. I've got a greenhouse full of lemon/citrus
trees, pineapples, bananas, aloes, and a few other exotics.

All seem quite happy, and have been for many years, in fact me only bought
citrus is growing both calamondin oranges above the graft and lemons below
the graft, a most amusing plant, esp. considering the GC was throwing it
out about 5 years ago because they hadn't bothered to water it :-)

Duncan