GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What a grey day... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154254-what-grey-day.html)

Sacha 18-02-2007 02:09 PM

What a grey day...

I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have a
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind to
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Broadback 18-02-2007 02:58 PM

What a grey day...

Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have a
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind to
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!

It has been a lovely day here in Staffordshire. Peeps tend to forget
that the West Country is one of the wettest areas of England, bless it.

'Mike' 18-02-2007 03:13 PM

What a grey day...

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley
full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!

It has been a lovely day here in Staffordshire. Peeps tend to forget that
the West Country is one of the wettest areas of England, bless it.

:-))

Not tooooo bad here on the Isle of Wight. Cut the lawn :-)

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Kate Morgan 18-02-2007 03:34 PM

What a grey day...

Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley
full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!

It has been a lovely day here in Staffordshire. Peeps tend to forget that
the West Country is one of the wettest areas of England, bless it.

:-))

Not tooooo bad here on the Isle of Wight. Cut the lawn :-)

Mike

Fog yesterday just grey murk today but much warmer

forest of dean.

Muddymike 18-02-2007 03:46 PM

What a grey day...

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind
blow it away.

Glorious sunny weekend here in N Yorkshire, been busy tidying up in the
garden, having a bonfire, servicing the grass cutters, and digging out some
of the best compost I have ever made.

Mike

Sacha 18-02-2007 04:00 PM

What a grey day...

On 18/2/07 15:46, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind
blow it away.

Glorious sunny weekend here in N Yorkshire, been busy tidying up in the
garden, having a bonfire, servicing the grass cutters, and digging out some
of the best compost I have ever made.

Grrrrr. Give it back, it's ours!

Sacha 18-02-2007 04:02 PM

What a grey day...

On 18/2/07 14:58, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have a
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind to
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!

It has been a lovely day here in Staffordshire. Peeps tend to forget
that the West Country is one of the wettest areas of England, bless it.

And don't we know it! I suppose it's what gives us 'this green and pleasant
land' but I'd like a dash of sunshine to go with it just for a bit more than
one day! Instead of gardening we've 'enjoyed' ourselves filling a couple of
wheeled 'trucks' with stuff from the boiler room which is to be painted
tomorrow. The accumulation of years of near junk!

Draven 18-02-2007 04:48 PM

What a grey day...

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley
full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!

It has been a lovely day here in Staffordshire. Peeps tend to forget that
the West Country is one of the wettest areas of England, bless it.

It's been a grey day in Bristol.
No wind and a bit cold.

It's come to light some one has been trying to get into my shed via the roof
so now I have to fix that this week.

Isn't gardening fun? Well it would be if all the dole scum stealing chavs
would just die.

'Mike' 18-02-2007 04:59 PM

What a grey day...

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

It's come to light some one has been trying to get into my shed via the
roof so now I have to fix that this week.

Isn't gardening fun? Well it would be if all the dole scum stealing chavs
would just die.

Thank God for good neighbours who keep an eye on things for you. :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Sacha 18-02-2007 05:49 PM

What a grey day...

On 18/2/07 16:48, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley
full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!

It has been a lovely day here in Staffordshire. Peeps tend to forget that
the West Country is one of the wettest areas of England, bless it.

It's been a grey day in Bristol.
No wind and a bit cold.

It's come to light some one has been trying to get into my shed via the roof
so now I have to fix that this week.

That's bad luck and a horrible thing to discover, too. Having been burgled
a couple of times, I know how intrusive it is into your private life and how
angry it can make you, too. The only good thing about it is that you've
found out before they got in.

Isn't gardening fun? Well it would be if all the dole scum stealing chavs
would just die.

Could just as well be school children simply 'having fun' because they're
'bored'? I wasn't allowed to utter the word 'bored' when I was a teenager!
Not sure it had been invented then, either...... ;-))

Alan Holmes 18-02-2007 06:56 PM

What a grey day...

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 14:58, in article ,
"Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

How can you possibly describe this valuable material as 'near junk'?

There is no such thing as 'junk' which you have carefully collected over the
years!

Alan

Draven 18-02-2007 08:08 PM

What a grey day...

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

It's come to light some one has been trying to get into my shed via the
roof so now I have to fix that this week.

Isn't gardening fun? Well it would be if all the dole scum stealing chavs
would just die.

Thank God for good neighbours who keep an eye on things for you. :-))

Mike

It was my next door neighbours son who actually alerted me to my side gate
being open, and banging in the wind.
He closed the gate and left a note on my front door.
He's only 10yrs.
Bless him.

Draven 18-02-2007 08:11 PM

What a grey day...

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 16:48, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
[...]

There have been a couple of sheds broken into in the area and the police
have been doing a door to door patrol.
If they were made to work they wouldn't have time to break in to sheds ;O)

Sacha 18-02-2007 08:29 PM

What a grey day...

On 18/2/07 18:56, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip Instead of gardening we've 'enjoyed' ourselves filling a couple
of
wheeled 'trucks' with stuff from the boiler room which is to be painted
tomorrow. The accumulation of years of near junk!

How can you possibly describe this valuable material as 'near junk'?

There is no such thing as 'junk' which you have carefully collected over the
years!

I'd love to attribute 'carefully collected' but shoved in until the door is
bursting open doesn't quite do it. ;-)

Sacha 18-02-2007 08:30 PM

What a grey day...

On 18/2/07 20:11, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 16:48, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:

snip

Isn't gardening fun? Well it would be if all the dole scum stealing chavs
would just die.

Could just as well be school children simply 'having fun' because they're
'bored'? I wasn't allowed to utter the word 'bored' when I was a
teenager!
Not sure it had been invented then, either...... ;-))
--

There have been a couple of sheds broken into in the area and the police
have been doing a door to door patrol.
If they were made to work they wouldn't have time to break in to sheds ;O)

Children on half term?! ;-))

'Mike' 18-02-2007 08:31 PM

What a grey day...

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

It's come to light some one has been trying to get into my shed via the
roof so now I have to fix that this week.

Isn't gardening fun? Well it would be if all the dole scum stealing
chavs would just die.

Thank God for good neighbours who keep an eye on things for you. :-))

Mike

It was my next door neighbours son who actually alerted me to my side gate
being open, and banging in the wind.
He closed the gate and left a note on my front door.
He's only 10yrs.
Bless him.

Like I said, thank God for good neighbours.

BUT, neighbours are only as good as you are to them :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Alan Holmes 18-02-2007 11:20 PM

What a grey day...

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 18:56, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip Instead of gardening we've 'enjoyed' ourselves filling a couple
of
wheeled 'trucks' with stuff from the boiler room which is to be painted
tomorrow. The accumulation of years of near junk!

How can you possibly describe this valuable material as 'near junk'?

There is no such thing as 'junk' which you have carefully collected over
the
years!

I'd love to attribute 'carefully collected' but shoved in until the door
is
bursting open doesn't quite do it. ;-)

But that is exactly what 'carefully collected' means!

Alan

Sacha 18-02-2007 11:29 PM

What a grey day...

On 18/2/07 23:20, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 18:56, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip Instead of gardening we've 'enjoyed' ourselves filling a couple
of
wheeled 'trucks' with stuff from the boiler room which is to be painted
tomorrow. The accumulation of years of near junk!

How can you possibly describe this valuable material as 'near junk'?

There is no such thing as 'junk' which you have carefully collected over
the
years!

I'd love to attribute 'carefully collected' but shoved in until the door
is
bursting open doesn't quite do it. ;-)

But that is exactly what 'carefully collected' means!

No, Alan, that's squirrelling! ;-)

Draven 19-02-2007 09:38 AM

What a grey day...

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 20:11, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 16:48, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:

snip

Isn't gardening fun? Well it would be if all the dole scum stealing
chavs
would just die.

Could just as well be school children simply 'having fun' because
they're
'bored'? I wasn't allowed to utter the word 'bored' when I was a
teenager!
Not sure it had been invented then, either...... ;-))
--

There have been a couple of sheds broken into in the area and the police
have been doing a door to door patrol.
If they were made to work they wouldn't have time to break in to sheds
;O)

Children on half term?! ;-))
--
Sacha

They are on half term this week in my area.
We've had sheds being broken into over the last few weeks.
They've been at mine during the day time.

Looking on the bright side I've actually got a Margaret Merril rose in
flower.
Going to have a sniff of it now. ;O)

Broadback 19-02-2007 10:22 AM

What a grey day...

Sacha wrote:
On 18/2/07 23:20, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 18:56, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
snip Instead of gardening we've 'enjoyed' ourselves filling a couple
of
wheeled 'trucks' with stuff from the boiler room which is to be painted
tomorrow. The accumulation of years of near junk!
How can you possibly describe this valuable material as 'near junk'?

There is no such thing as 'junk' which you have carefully collected over
the
years!

I'd love to attribute 'carefully collected' but shoved in until the door
is
bursting open doesn't quite do it. ;-)

But that is exactly what 'carefully collected' means!

No, Alan, that's squirrelling! ;-)

Junk is what you throw away today and find a use for tomorrow!

Sacha 19-02-2007 10:22 AM

What a grey day...

On 19/2/07 09:38, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

Children on half term?! ;-))
--
Sacha

They are on half term this week in my area.
We've had sheds being broken into over the last few weeks.
They've been at mine during the day time.

It's half term here this week but our local school is a primary and the
adolescent hormones haven't kicked in yet. I'm touching wood as I write
this!

Looking on the bright side I've actually got a Margaret Merril rose in
flower.
Going to have a sniff of it now. ;O)

Little lift of the spirits!

Sacha 19-02-2007 10:27 AM

What a grey day...

On 19/2/07 10:22, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 18/2/07 23:20, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 18:56, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
snip Instead of gardening we've 'enjoyed' ourselves filling a couple
of
wheeled 'trucks' with stuff from the boiler room which is to be painted
tomorrow. The accumulation of years of near junk!
How can you possibly describe this valuable material as 'near junk'?

There is no such thing as 'junk' which you have carefully collected over
the
years!

I'd love to attribute 'carefully collected' but shoved in until the door
is
bursting open doesn't quite do it. ;-)
But that is exactly what 'carefully collected' means!

No, Alan, that's squirrelling! ;-)

Junk is what you throw away today and find a use for tomorrow!

I became horribly aware of that as I saw the bonfire starting....

La Puce 19-02-2007 01:20 PM

What a grey day...

On 19 Feb, 09:38, "Draven" wrote:
They are on half term this week in my area.
We've had sheds being broken into over the last few weeks.
They've been at mine during the day time.
Looking on the bright side I've actually got a Margaret Merril rose in
flower.
Going to have a sniff of it now. ;O)

Old Tony yesterday told me quite a good idea - he has never had his
shed broken into. He told me that's because he puts his buckets of
salty slugs/snails by the door, comfrey mix and fag mix as well. The
stench is so formidable, kids run from it. I usually manage to clear
it all by november and sometimes mine don't smell until you move them
about - but am going to try it and see (and perhaps hang the bones
which I find when digging on the doors of my sheds, with feathers etc.
- hoping that would be scary?! (Though my kids would be curious and
would like to see inside ... and I would have been too as a kid ;o)

Draven 19-02-2007 05:00 PM

What a grey day...

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Feb, 09:38, "Draven" wrote:
[...]

Good idea.
But my shed has a fire door with a 5 lever insurance approved lock.
It's not the door that's at risk it's the roof. Which they have been having
a go at on a daily basis.

Sacha 19-02-2007 05:19 PM

What a grey day...

On 19/2/07 17:00, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

snip
Good idea.
But my shed has a fire door with a 5 lever insurance approved lock.
It's not the door that's at risk it's the roof. Which they have been having
a go at on a daily basis.

Is it illegal to cover it with barbed wire? How about a CCTV camera (or
even a fake one) perched where they can't reach it? A blinding light? Some
kind of trembler device that sets off an ear-splitting siren such as used in
South African burglar alarms?!

Broadback 19-02-2007 05:20 PM

What a grey day...

Draven wrote:
"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Feb, 09:38, "Draven" wrote:
[...]

Having a go from the roof or from below? If from the roof how about
fixing carpet gripper to it, or anti vandal paint?

Draven 19-02-2007 05:52 PM

What a grey day...

"Broadback" wrote in message
Draven wrote:
"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Feb, 09:38, "Draven" wrote:
[...]

They have been coming over the back fence which my neighbour erected last
year.
He removed the impenetrable privet to do it.

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Thing is where do you get barbed wire from?
B&Q don't seem to have any.

Sacha 19-02-2007 06:01 PM

What a grey day...

On 19/2/07 17:52, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

snip

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Thing is where do you get barbed wire from?
B&Q don't seem to have any.

Farmer's merchant, that sort of place or look online for some to be
delivered to you, perhaps?
Careful with the spike thing. I replaced an old iron fence which had spikes
on top and was told I couldn't put spikes onto the new one, only blunt
pencil shaped things with no point at all.

Draven 20-02-2007 09:42 AM

What a grey day...

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 19/2/07 17:52, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

snip

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs
and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Thing is where do you get barbed wire from?
B&Q don't seem to have any.

Farmer's merchant, that sort of place or look online for some to be
delivered to you, perhaps?
Careful with the spike thing. I replaced an old iron fence which had
spikes
on top and was told I couldn't put spikes onto the new one, only blunt
pencil shaped things with no point at all.
--

Who told you you couldn't put spikes on your fence?

As I see it as long as I put a sign up stating of anti-climb measures on the
fence I shouldn't have a problem.
Why are they climbing over my 7 foot fence anyway?

Mike in Spain 20-02-2007 10:23 AM

What a grey day...

On 18 Feb, 15:09, Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have a
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind to
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

glorious sunshine and blue skies here, the freesias are a picture in
the garden and the ranunculus just coming out. Have just bought a
Hardenbergia for its beautiful flowers at this time of the year, going
to grow it along my front fence, alos coming out is a wonderfully
scented jasmine, even smell it while the buds are waiting to open,
that will join the Hardenbergia along the fence, so it will be a
mixture as there is already a purple bourgainvillia there, hopefully
giving colour throughout the year.

Draven 20-02-2007 11:23 AM

What a grey day...

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:42:20 GMT, "Draven" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 19/2/07 17:52, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

snip

[...]

You will if somebody is injured.

Why are they climbing over my 7 foot fence anyway?

To get to the other side?
--

Martin

Being my garden.
What are they doing in my garden?
I say you should have a right to protect your property from intruders and
intruders should have no rights in such a case.

Sacha 20-02-2007 11:44 AM

What a grey day...

On 20/2/07 09:42, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 19/2/07 17:52, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

snip

[...]

The blacksmith who made it for me. He told me it's against the law to have
spiky spikes in case Burglar Bill hurts himself.

As I see it as long as I put a sign up stating of anti-climb measures on the
fence I shouldn't have a problem.
Why are they climbing over my 7 foot fence anyway?

I sympathise with your pov but it would be worth checking your situation
first.

Sacha 20-02-2007 11:44 AM

What a grey day...

On 20/2/07 10:23, in article
, "Mike in Spain"
wrote:

On 18 Feb, 15:09, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Bah humbug!

Janet Tweedy 21-02-2007 01:06 PM

What a grey day...

In article , Draven
writes

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Wouldn't lightweight trellis on top of the fence be better? it doesn't
take the weight of hefty burglars and might be a deterrent. They often
cite this as a useful security tip on police programmes.

Why not grow a nice thorny rose over the shed, or Pyracantha up the side
of the fence? ?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

[email protected] 21-02-2007 03:04 PM

What a grey day...

On 18 Feb, 14:09, Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have a
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind to
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Today, it is beautiful at Norwich. I have just been to my parents'
grave and the churchyard is in bloom with thousands of snowdrops. The
crocus that I planted on the grave are in bloom and I can also see
tete a tete are just about to flower. On my way home, I bought some
tomato seeds and I shall sow these now in the greenhouse where it is
surprising warm inside.

Judith at home

Draven 21-02-2007 03:40 PM

What a grey day...

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Draven
writes

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs
and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Wouldn't lightweight trellis on top of the fence be better? it doesn't
take the weight of hefty burglars and might be a deterrent. They often
cite this as a useful security tip on police programmes.

Why not grow a nice thorny rose over the shed, or Pyracantha up the side
of the fence? ?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I was thinking along those lines and was going to go for prickly holly in
the gap between my shed and the fence.

[email protected] 21-02-2007 03:47 PM

What a grey day...

On Feb 21, 3:13 pm, Martin wrote:
In Zuid Holland it has rained all day, the garden is water logged again.
The sun is struggling to come out.

It's 21C (Lidl scale) inside and 12 C (Lidl scale) outside.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

We are only 40 minutes from Amsterdam, by air, so the distance is not
so great.

Last night it poured and poured, the river has, yet again, broke it's
banks and flooded the road and the surrounding fields. When this
happens, instead of it taking me 6 minutes to get to my office, I have
to go twice the distance as I have to go to a village that is not en
route and then double back by a main road.

I passed Lidl today on my way to the churchyard and I saw 2 big
posters in their windows but I was going too fast to read them except,
it said special offers and I am sure it said "garden" so I shall look
online to see if it's anything worthwhile. Is Lidl in Holland the
same as Lidl here? In that, do they have the same offers, just in a
different language.

Judith at home

Sacha 21-02-2007 04:47 PM

What a grey day...

On 21/2/07 15:04, in article
,
" wrote:

On 18 Feb, 14:09, Sacha wrote:
[...]

We woke to the most beautiful morning but it had rained in the night so the
drops on the naked branches of the trees, sparkled like diamonds in the
early sunlight - it was a most enchanting sight. Then, as the day has gone
on, it has clouded over and we've had intermittent rain and wind. But at
least I can *see*! The most distant fields and hills are visible whereas
when I posted the original in this thread, they were totally disguised by
low cloud.

[email protected] 21-02-2007 05:01 PM

What a grey day...

On Feb 21, 4:51 pm, Martin wrote:
On 21 Feb 2007 07:47:03 -0800, "

wrote:
On Feb 21, 3:13 pm, Martin wrote:
In Zuid Holland it has rained all day, the garden is water logged again.
The sun is struggling to come out.

It's 21C (Lidl scale) inside and 12 C (Lidl scale) outside.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

We are only 40 minutes from Amsterdam, by air, so the distance is not
so great.

Last night it poured and poured, the river has,

The same here. It's cleared up and the sun is shining now.

yet again, broke it's
banks and flooded the road and the surrounding fields. When this
happens, instead of it taking me 6 minutes to get to my office, I have
to go twice the distance as I have to go to a village that is not en
route and then double back by a main road.

I passed Lidl today on my way to the churchyard and I saw 2 big
posters in their windows but I was going too fast to read them except,
it said special offers and I am sure it said "garden" so I shall look
online to see if it's anything worthwhile.

Garden week starts on 26-2-07 in Germanyhttp://www.lidl.de/de/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070226.index.ar5

Is Lidl in Holland the
same as Lidl here?

Yes Lidl and Aldi are German. They are all over Europe, even in France.

In that, do they have the same offers, just in a
different language.

They have the same or similar offers, but not at the same time.
Often you are offered better stuff in UK than us, although we get offered their
Strong Beer more often. In Lidl Netherlands it is satellite receivers this week.http://www.lidl.nl/nl/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070222.index

In Aldi it is Italian week.

Lidl's ABM flour is good and so was their Bordeaux wine last year.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Martin, I have told my husband about the flour as he is
experimenting at the moment to get a balance between white and brown.

JudithL at home

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 21-02-2007 06:09 PM

What a grey day...

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

A plant which does a good impression of razor wire is COLLETIA hystrix
(armata) .