GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mushroom compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154286-mushroom-compost.html)

Sue 19-02-2007 08:57 PM

mushroom compost

Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

Sue

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

[email protected] 19-02-2007 10:03 PM

mushroom compost

On 19 Feb, 20:57, "Sue" wrote:
Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

Sue

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Sue, there is a mushroom farm near us that sells it to gardeners and a
friend, who lives down the road, has the most wonderful garden, it has
been featured in some gardening mags, she used it extensively and the
results speak for themselves.

Judith at home

Bob Hobden 19-02-2007 10:48 PM

mushroom compost

"Sue" wrote
Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

It's good stuff and works well as a soil improver with one proviso, it tends
to have a high pH so if your plants are strictly acid lovers don't use it.
Cabbages like it. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Sacha 19-02-2007 10:51 PM

mushroom compost

On 19/2/07 20:57, in article ,
"Sue" wrote:

Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

Definitely. If you're lucky you'll also get the odd mushroom!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Rod[_1_] 20-02-2007 01:25 PM

mushroom compost

"Sue" wrote in message
Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

Yes, subject to Bob's caveat about the pH. I've just had 15 tonnes
delivered this morning for my own private veg plot so I'm a happy and
busy bunny. - Well actually it's a cocktail of horse, mushroom and
chicken because that was what I could get easily, I would have been
happier if it was all mushroom compost because it's easier to handle
and better for the immediate soil conditioning that I need.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

len brauer 20-02-2007 07:05 PM

mushroom compost

g'day sue,

we think so and use it all the time it is by far our preffered growing
medium

check pic's and description on our site see what we achive and how.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:57:26 GMT, "Sue" wrote:

Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

Sue

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Martin[_3_] 21-02-2007 12:32 PM

mushroom compost

Hi Len

interesting pics of your bale garden.
how long do the straw bales last before replacements needed

Martin

len brauer 21-02-2007 06:29 PM

mushroom compost

g'day martin,

it was built as a temporary garden so the length of time was not a
factor for us but we diid this in the late autumn to early winter last
year and it is still going strong now, so if you wanted to use the
format for a permanenet bed then when the bales rot down too much rake
that material away and put down new bales, the rotting material can
then be used on top of the bed to keep the cycle going.

so once a year might be the average when using full bales.

snipped

dragonlady 22-06-2008 03:22 AM

do you live in derby? looking for compost for my allotment are you able to tell me where you get yours from and how much...thanks