Old 19-02-2007, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

Default mushroom compost

Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

Sue

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 19-02-2007, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Feb, 20:57, "Sue" wrote:
Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

Sue

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Sue, there is a mushroom farm near us that sells it to gardeners and a
friend, who lives down the road, has the most wonderful garden, it has
been featured in some gardening mags, she used it extensively and the
results speak for themselves.

Judith at home

Old 19-02-2007, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote
Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

It's good stuff and works well as a soil improver with one proviso, it tends
to have a high pH so if your plants are strictly acid lovers don't use it.
Cabbages like it. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 19-02-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/2/07 20:57, in article ,
"Sue" wrote:

Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

Definitely. If you're lucky you'll also get the odd mushroom!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-02-2007, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

Yes, subject to Bob's caveat about the pH. I've just had 15 tonnes
delivered this morning for my own private veg plot so I'm a happy and
busy bunny. - Well actually it's a cocktail of horse, mushroom and
chicken because that was what I could get easily, I would have been
happier if it was all mushroom compost because it's easier to handle
and better for the immediate soil conditioning that I need.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 20-02-2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day sue,

we think so and use it all the time it is by far our preffered growing
medium

check pic's and description on our site see what we achive and how.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:57:26 GMT, "Sue" wrote:

Is spent mushroom compost OK on a vegetable bed?

Sue

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 21-02-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Len

interesting pics of your bale garden.
how long do the straw bales last before replacements needed

Martin

Old 21-02-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day martin,

it was built as a temporary garden so the length of time was not a
factor for us but we diid this in the late autumn to early winter last
year and it is still going strong now, so if you wanted to use the
format for a permanenet bed then when the bales rot down too much rake
that material away and put down new bales, the rotting material can
then be used on top of the bed to keep the cycle going.

so once a year might be the average when using full bales.

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:32:36 GMT, "Martin"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Mushroom mushroom... Tim Watts[_3_] United Kingdom 19 09-11-2014 10:02 PM
mushroom compost Anton Jopko Gardening 2 03-09-2004 12:27 PM
Spent mushroom compost Bob United Kingdom 6 14-01-2004 07:02 PM
Spent mushroom compost Bob United Kingdom 0 06-01-2004 11:14 PM
mushroom compost good or bad? TheScullster United Kingdom 13 08-10-2003 04:23 PM