GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   And.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154607-a.html)

Sacha 27-02-2007 07:29 PM

And....

.......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

[email protected] 27-02-2007 09:11 PM

And....

On Feb 27, 7:29 pm, Sacha wrote:
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Today, I have had the enjoyable task of opening plants sent from
Charlie Pridham. What excitement - three Gillian Blades Clematis, I
am in 7th Heaven.

Charlie's plants arrived very well packed, in wonderful healthy
condition and with so many new shoots! For anyone considering mail
order from Charlie, I say go right ahead, I have total confidence in
him. He emailed me yesterday to let me know when they would be
arriving and at what time! Charlie, I have benefited from your good
advice over the years and whenever I need a plant, I will certainly
look to see if you have before ordering elsewhere, very many thanks.

Judith

Adrian 27-02-2007 09:28 PM

And....

Hi All

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:29:22 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

Windy & rainy here also (S/W Ireland) - but spend a happy couple of
hours with a borrowed rotovator getting some drainage into the soil
inside the new polytunnel.

Rotovators have moved on a bit, it seems - this one is a German 'AGRI'
- 6hp '2-wheeled tractor' - made short work of the somewhat claggy
soil. Have left it all to dry out some more before spreading some
peat-free compost on top and turning that in...

Looking forward to our first growing season here in the Emerald Isle !

Adrian

Muddymike 27-02-2007 09:44 PM

And....

On Feb 27, 7:29 pm, Sacha wrote:
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

I unblocked a drain, does that count?

Mike (the rod)

Sacha 27-02-2007 10:24 PM

And....

On 27/2/07 21:44, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

On Feb 27, 7:29 pm, Sacha wrote:
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

I unblocked a drain, does that count?

In the hundreds on a day like this!

Bob Hobden 27-02-2007 10:51 PM

And....

"Sacha" wrote
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

I picked some sprouts and got depressed about the waterlogged ground that
needs cultivating before it is planted but I dare not get on it until it's
dried out somewhat. Oh for some sunshine and a dry wind.

--
Regards
Bob H

Sacha 27-02-2007 11:23 PM

And....

On 27/2/07 22:51, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

I picked some sprouts and got depressed about the waterlogged ground that
needs cultivating before it is planted but I dare not get on it until it's
dried out somewhat. Oh for some sunshine and a dry wind.

Amen. We had that yesterday, sun and a breeze but then it was back to
square one. This is a really horrible night. The rain is lashing down with
the wind behind it. I had hoped we'd seen the last of the gales but ever
the optimist, I was bound to be disappointed. It is truly vile weather
here.

FarmI 28-02-2007 02:06 AM

And....

"Sacha" wrote in message

......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you.

The only thing I did was to harvest some tomatoes.

We've had big electric storms and have had 2 computers thoroughly fried in
the space of 2 weeks and I've spent the day trying to set up newsgroups and
kill off masses of old e-mails that built up at the ISP :-(( If I didn't
love computers so much, I'd hate my increasing reliance on the blasted
things.

Cerumen[_3_] 28-02-2007 09:12 AM

And....

wrote:

......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

Windy & rainy here also (S/W Ireland) - but spend a happy couple of
hours with a borrowed rotovator getting some drainage into the soil
inside the new polytunnel.

Rotovators have moved on a bit, it seems - this one is a German 'AGRI'
- 6hp '2-wheeled tractor' - made short work of the somewhat claggy
soil. Have left it all to dry out some more before spreading some
peat-free compost on top and turning that in...

Looking forward to our first growing season here in the Emerald Isle !

I wish you well and hope you grow as much as I was able to when gardening an
acre here with polytunnel, chooks, ducks and so on. These days I am on a
different acre here which is mostly what I call "natural".

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Cerumen[_3_] 28-02-2007 09:14 AM

And....

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/2/07 22:51, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

And even worse here than it was yesterday but it is at least mild, about 12
C right now but certainly not outdoor weather if another option is
available.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Adrian 28-02-2007 12:39 PM

And....

Hi Chris

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:12:54 -0000, "Cerumen"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the good wishes !

We're n 2 minds about chickens, ducks & so on.
Had hens at the last place (Suffolk, UK) - and while they were
great fun to watch, and produced lovely banty eggs, the were bit
of a problem on holidays (getting neighbours to look after them) and
with general ailments..... - I'd like ducks, but I guess they're
likely to be as much of a 'bind'.

We have about 1.5 acres - mostly 'natural' g at the moment -
but working on getting it tidy bit by bit... while still leaving some
parts 'natural'.....
Just purchased some windbreak netting to try and give a bit of
ground-level shelter to the more tender plants - the wind tends to
whip across here...

Keen to get things started in the tunnel - but a combination of some
rather claggy soil that was imported to sort out the levels, and the
relentless rainfall since Christmas has left everything a bit soggy !

Still - it's relatively mild......

Regards
Adrian

Sacha 28-02-2007 02:07 PM

And....

On 28/2/07 09:14, in article , "Cerumen"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/2/07 22:51, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

We've got gales again and sudden heavy downpours of rain. Sigh.....

Bob Hobden 28-02-2007 05:51 PM

And....

"Sacha" wrote after "Cerumen"wrote after
"Sacha" wrote in reply to "Bob
Hobden" who wrote after:
"Sacha" wrote
[...]

High winds and sudden heavy downpours today, just back from shopping in
Windsor, R.Thames looks dangerously high across Runnymede meadow.

--
Regards
Bob H

Carol Hague 28-02-2007 08:59 PM

And....

Sacha wrote:

......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

My compost daleks arrived, and it wasn't practical to store them in the
house and wait for better weather so I wrestled them down to the
allotment, which luckily is literally just around the corner from our
house.

Good thing I did too, because when I got there one of my green-tent
cloches had been blown over by the wind - the metal frame was upside
down in the broad beans and the cover fabric was almost in someone's
garden on the other side of the allotments. I retrieved it, repositioned
it and pegged it down as firmly as I could, supplementing the inadequate
pegs that came with it with some bits of paving slab and short garden
canes.

Not much else I could do of any use on the allotment, the ground was far
too soggy, although not quite as bad as a plot a bit further downslope
which appears have a moat.....

I got back home just in time to see the parcel delivery van driving off
and find the inevitable postcard through the letterbox. Bah!

I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"

Sacha 28-02-2007 10:50 PM

And....

On 28/2/07 20:59, in article , "Carol
Hague" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

I take my hat off to you for even attempting to wrestle with such a
situation!

Not much else I could do of any use on the allotment, the ground was far
too soggy, although not quite as bad as a plot a bit further downslope
which appears have a moat.....

I got back home just in time to see the parcel delivery van driving off
and find the inevitable postcard through the letterbox. Bah!

I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?

My Godson swears he received a packet of peanuts on a plane trip which said
"open packet. Eat peanuts". I still don't believe him but nowadays, I do
wonder!

Carol Hague 01-03-2007 07:18 AM

And....

Hague" wrote:

Good thing I did too, because when I got there one of my green-tent
cloches had been blown over by the wind - the metal frame was upside
down in the broad beans and the cover fabric was almost in someone's
garden on the other side of the allotments. I retrieved it, repositioned
it and pegged it down as firmly as I could, supplementing the inadequate
pegs that came with it with some bits of paving slab and short garden
canes.

I take my hat off to you for even attempting to wrestle with such a
situation!

Thanks - but there really wasn't much choice - it was that or leave it
to be blown away again :-(

Seems moderately secure at the moment, but I foresee a trip to a camping
shop and the purchase of some rather stouter tentpegs in the near
future.....

At least the peas planted underneath it hadn't come up yet, so there was
nothing to be damaged there.

For some idea of the size of the thing, here's a picture of the three
cloches in the snow a couple of weeks ago :-

http://www.wrhpv.com/temp/monopoly_howses.jpg

Although two of them have been moved since then, so they don't look
quite so much like they're waiting for a large red version of themselves
to arrive :-)

The bench in the picture was apparently built by the father of the
previous allotment holder who had had the plot before him. I feel like
I'm taking over a piece of history....

I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?

My Godson swears he received a packet of peanuts on a plane trip which said
"open packet. Eat peanuts". I still don't believe him but nowadays, I do
wonder!

We've been offered peanuts on a plane before and when they arrived they
were actually broad beans! Quite nice really - I think the the Swiss
flight attendants had been taught "peanuts" as the generic name for any
small crunchy things in packets :-)

Muddymike 01-03-2007 07:39 AM

And....

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/2/07 20:59, in article ,
"Carol
Hague" wrote:
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?

My Godson swears he received a packet of peanuts on a plane trip which
said
"open packet. Eat peanuts". I still don't believe him but nowadays, I do
wonder!

I bet it also said "Warning this product may contain nuts"

Mike (the nutty one)

JennyC 01-03-2007 07:46 AM

And....

"Carol Hague" wrote
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?
Carol

Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual :~))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek
Jenny

Dave Poole 01-03-2007 08:08 AM

And....

Bob Hobden wrote:

High winds and sudden heavy downpours today, just back from shopping in
Windsor, R.Thames looks dangerously high across Runnymede meadow.

We got much the same here for most of the day after a fine sunny
start, but I prefer it warmer, wet and windy to dry and cold - it
keeps my stuff in the garden much happier. I've just worked out the
averages here for the 3 months of 'winter' (Dec. Jan & Feb) and it
comes as no surprise that temperatures were higher. However, the
amount by which they increased compared to last year was a bit of an
eye-opener:

Average max Dec - Feb 2006/07 : 11.3C
Average min Dec - Feb 2006/07 : 7.6C

Nights when temps fell below 0C : 0
Days when temps failed to exceed 5C : 0

Average max Dec - Feb 2005/06 : 8.7C (about 1C.lower than the average
in previous 5 years)
Average min Dec - Feb 2005/06 : 4.9C (about 0.7C lower than the
average in previous 5 years)

Nights when temps fell below 0C : 5
Days when temps failed to exceed 5C : 8

This winter has allowed near continuous growth on many plants that
normally shut down as temperatures fall and has even enabled limequats
(lime x kumquat) to continue ripening. A few surprises for me were
Bauhinia yunnanense - still in almost full leaf, Ipomoea indica -
holding about 20% of its foliage and already starting to shoot,
Begonia luxurians - not only continued growth, but carried on
flowering throughout, even if the rain did spoil them. The latter is
now well over 7 feet tall and will have to be pruned back by half
within the next few weeks. Roll on summer!

Klara 01-03-2007 08:23 AM

And....

In message , JennyC
writes

"Carol Hague" wrote
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?
Carol

Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual :~))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek
Jenny

.... Love it! Have passed it on to my colleagues in "dead tree
publishing" :-)

Klara

Carol Hague 01-03-2007 08:36 AM

And....

JennyC wrote:

"Carol Hague" wrote
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?
Carol

Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual :~))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek

giggle

I shall show this to my husband, who's a software engineer. I have a
feeling it may strike a chord :-) Thank you!

Sacha 01-03-2007 09:17 AM

And....

On 1/3/07 07:39, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/2/07 20:59, in article ,
"Carol
Hague" wrote:
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?

My Godson swears he received a packet of peanuts on a plane trip which
said
"open packet. Eat peanuts". I still don't believe him but nowadays, I do
wonder!

I bet it also said "Warning this product may contain nuts"

Mike (the nutty one)

;-)

Sally Thompson 01-03-2007 10:04 AM

And....

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:46:31 +0000, JennyC wrote
(in article ):

"Carol Hague" wrote
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?
Carol

Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual :~))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek
Jenny

Oh yes, I've seen that one before, and think it's priceless! My favourite
sign on foodstuffs was a container of milk which said Contents: Contains
Milk.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

La Puce 01-03-2007 11:39 AM

And....

On 1 Mar, 07:46, "JennyC" wrote:
Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual :~))http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek

ROFL!!! Simply brilliant, thank you very much. Just loved the bit:
"... 'the 'book', or however you pronounce it" :o)))

Do this again please, but on Monday morning. Dank je wel.

JennyC 01-03-2007 03:58 PM

And....

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 1 Mar, 07:46, "JennyC" wrote:
Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual
:~))http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek

ROFL!!! Simply brilliant, thank you very much. Just loved the bit:
"... 'the 'book', or however you pronounce it" :o)))

Do this again please, but on Monday morning. Dank je wel.

Thanks to Martin actually :~))
Jenny

La Puce 01-03-2007 04:20 PM

And....

On 1 Mar, 15:58, "JennyC" wrote:
Thanks to Martin actually :~))

Lets cut the middle woman then. Martin, put me on your mailing
list ;o)

Alan Holmes 01-03-2007 11:07 PM

And....

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

My Godson swears he received a packet of peanuts on a plane trip which
said
"open packet. Eat peanuts". I still don't believe him but nowadays, I do
wonder!

My son had a peice of clothing that had a label on it which read, 'part
cotton, part other stuff' and 'wash when dirty'!

I didn't believe him until he showed me it!

Alan

Mike in Spain 02-03-2007 09:33 AM

And....

On 27 Feb, 20:29, Sacha wrote:
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Admired my potatoes now through, swept the leaves and dead flowers
from my patio, enjoyed the scent of true orange blossom and jasmine,
cut last years bizzy lizzy back to about 4 inches ready for new
flowers and growth, cut back my poinsettias watered all my nice new
outdoor seedlings. My hibiscus is just about to open in flower, then
sat on my terrace with a nice long cold beer. :-)

Sacha 02-03-2007 10:06 AM

And....

On 2/3/07 09:33, in article
, "Mike in Spain"
wrote:

On 27 Feb, 20:29, Sacha wrote:
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

Admired my potatoes now through, swept the leaves and dead flowers
from my patio, enjoyed the scent of true orange blossom and jasmine,
cut last years bizzy lizzy back to about 4 inches ready for new
flowers and growth, cut back my poinsettias watered all my nice new
outdoor seedlings. My hibiscus is just about to open in flower, then
sat on my terrace with a nice long cold beer. :-)

You do this deliberately, don't you - there's a cruel streak in there
somewhere! ;-)

Alan Holmes 02-03-2007 08:00 PM

And....

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 2/3/07 09:33, in article
, "Mike in Spain"
wrote:

On 27 Feb, 20:29, Sacha wrote:
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you.
We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then
it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory
time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

Admired my potatoes now through, swept the leaves and dead flowers
from my patio, enjoyed the scent of true orange blossom and jasmine,
cut last years bizzy lizzy back to about 4 inches ready for new
flowers and growth, cut back my poinsettias watered all my nice new
outdoor seedlings. My hibiscus is just about to open in flower, then
sat on my terrace with a nice long cold beer. :-)

You do this deliberately, don't you - there's a cruel streak in there
somewhere! ;-)

Those were my thoughts as well, just didn't know quite how to put it!(:-)

Alan

Janet Tweedy 03-03-2007 12:47 AM

And....

In article .com,
" writes

Today, I have had the enjoyable task of opening plants sent from
Charlie Pridham. What excitement - three Gillian Blades Clematis, I
am in 7th Heaven.

A lovely clematis by the look of it Judith. Why three?
I loved the Clematis fasiculifolia which looks really good but more
importantly has a fragrance.

I keep meaning to furnish my pergola and the front wall and you've
convince me to go back and look at Charlie's site again. Thanks!

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association

Janet Tweedy 03-03-2007 12:35 PM

And....

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

My son had a peice of clothing that had a label on it which read, 'part
cotton, part other stuff' and 'wash when dirty'!

I didn't believe him until he showed me it!

Alan

I once had to take back a tee-shirt to the shop as it shrank in the wash
and the assistant manager actually argues that though the label said
"washable" it meant the label not the tee-shirt!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

La Puce 03-03-2007 12:53 PM

And....

On 3 Mar, 12:43, Martin wrote:
Maybe that explains why shrink proof Viyella shirts shrink, since they are no
longer made in UK, and why I no longer buy them.

http://cjoint.com/?ddn0TKMU80