Old 27-02-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default And....

.......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-02-2007, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 27, 7:29 pm, Sacha wrote:
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Today, I have had the enjoyable task of opening plants sent from
Charlie Pridham. What excitement - three Gillian Blades Clematis, I
am in 7th Heaven.

Charlie's plants arrived very well packed, in wonderful healthy
condition and with so many new shoots! For anyone considering mail
order from Charlie, I say go right ahead, I have total confidence in
him. He emailed me yesterday to let me know when they would be
arriving and at what time! Charlie, I have benefited from your good
advice over the years and whenever I need a plant, I will certainly
look to see if you have before ordering elsewhere, very many thanks.

Judith

Old 27-02-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi All

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:29:22 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

Windy & rainy here also (S/W Ireland) - but spend a happy couple of
hours with a borrowed rotovator getting some drainage into the soil
inside the new polytunnel.

Rotovators have moved on a bit, it seems - this one is a German 'AGRI'
- 6hp '2-wheeled tractor' - made short work of the somewhat claggy
soil. Have left it all to dry out some more before spreading some
peat-free compost on top and turning that in...

Looking forward to our first growing season here in the Emerald Isle !

Adrian
Old 27-02-2007, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 27, 7:29 pm, Sacha wrote:
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

I unblocked a drain, does that count?

Mike (the rod)

Old 27-02-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

I picked some sprouts and got depressed about the waterlogged ground that
needs cultivating before it is planted but I dare not get on it until it's
dried out somewhat. Oh for some sunshine and a dry wind.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 28-02-2007, 02:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you.

The only thing I did was to harvest some tomatoes.

We've had big electric storms and have had 2 computers thoroughly fried in
the space of 2 weeks and I've spent the day trying to set up newsgroups and
kill off masses of old e-mails that built up at the ISP :-(( If I didn't
love computers so much, I'd hate my increasing reliance on the blasted
things.

Old 28-02-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

Windy & rainy here also (S/W Ireland) - but spend a happy couple of
hours with a borrowed rotovator getting some drainage into the soil
inside the new polytunnel.

Rotovators have moved on a bit, it seems - this one is a German 'AGRI'
- 6hp '2-wheeled tractor' - made short work of the somewhat claggy
soil. Have left it all to dry out some more before spreading some
peat-free compost on top and turning that in...

Looking forward to our first growing season here in the Emerald Isle !

I wish you well and hope you grow as much as I was able to when gardening an
acre here with polytunnel, chooks, ducks and so on. These days I am on a
different acre here which is mostly what I call "natural".

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 28-02-2007, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Chris

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:12:54 -0000, "Cerumen"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the good wishes !

We're n 2 minds about chickens, ducks & so on.
Had hens at the last place (Suffolk, UK) - and while they were
great fun to watch, and produced lovely banty eggs, the were bit
of a problem on holidays (getting neighbours to look after them) and
with general ailments..... - I'd like ducks, but I guess they're
likely to be as much of a 'bind'.

We have about 1.5 acres - mostly 'natural' g at the moment -
but working on getting it tidy bit by bit... while still leaving some
parts 'natural'.....
Just purchased some windbreak netting to try and give a bit of
ground-level shelter to the more tender plants - the wind tends to
whip across here...

Keen to get things started in the tunnel - but a combination of some
rather claggy soil that was imported to sort out the levels, and the
relentless rainfall since Christmas has left everything a bit soggy !

Still - it's relatively mild......

Regards
Adrian
Old 28-02-2007, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/2/07 09:14, in article , "Cerumen"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/2/07 22:51, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you.
We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then
it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory
time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

I picked some sprouts and got depressed about the waterlogged ground that
needs cultivating before it is planted but I dare not get on it until
it's
dried out somewhat. Oh for some sunshine and a dry wind.

Amen. We had that yesterday, sun and a breeze but then it was back to
square one. This is a really horrible night. The rain is lashing down
with
the wind behind it. I had hoped we'd seen the last of the gales but ever
the optimist, I was bound to be disappointed. It is truly vile weather
here.

And even worse here than it was yesterday but it is at least mild, about 12
C right now but certainly not outdoor weather if another option is
available.

We've got gales again and sudden heavy downpours of rain. Sigh.....

Old 28-02-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote after "Cerumen"wrote after
"Sacha" wrote in reply to "Bob
Hobden" who wrote after:
"Sacha" wrote
[...]

High winds and sudden heavy downpours today, just back from shopping in
Windsor, R.Thames looks dangerously high across Runnymede meadow.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 28-02-2007, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

My compost daleks arrived, and it wasn't practical to store them in the
house and wait for better weather so I wrestled them down to the
allotment, which luckily is literally just around the corner from our
house.

Good thing I did too, because when I got there one of my green-tent
cloches had been blown over by the wind - the metal frame was upside
down in the broad beans and the cover fabric was almost in someone's
garden on the other side of the allotments. I retrieved it, repositioned
it and pegged it down as firmly as I could, supplementing the inadequate
pegs that came with it with some bits of paving slab and short garden
canes.

Not much else I could do of any use on the allotment, the ground was far
too soggy, although not quite as bad as a plot a bit further downslope
which appears have a moat.....

I got back home just in time to see the parcel delivery van driving off
and find the inevitable postcard through the letterbox. Bah!

I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"

Old 28-02-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/2/07 20:59, in article , "Carol
Hague" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

I take my hat off to you for even attempting to wrestle with such a
situation!

Not much else I could do of any use on the allotment, the ground was far
too soggy, although not quite as bad as a plot a bit further downslope
which appears have a moat.....

I got back home just in time to see the parcel delivery van driving off
and find the inevitable postcard through the letterbox. Bah!

I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?

My Godson swears he received a packet of peanuts on a plane trip which said
"open packet. Eat peanuts". I still don't believe him but nowadays, I do
wonder!