GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Squash (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/155208-squash.html)

[email protected] 14-03-2007 09:38 AM

Squash

I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.
Anyone got any experience with cobnut ? Is it vine or bush ? How much
space will each plant take up ?

[email protected] 14-03-2007 10:23 AM

Squash

On 14 Mar, 09:38, wrote:
I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.
Anyone got any experience with cobnut ? Is it vine or bush ? How much
space will each plant take up ?

or can someone recommend a good bush variety for growing in the East
Anglia climate in a faily sunny spot.

Dave Hill 14-03-2007 04:07 PM

Squash

On 14 Mar, 10:23, wrote:
On 14 Mar, 09:38, wrote:

I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.
Anyone got any experience with cobnut ? Is it vine or bush ? How much
space will each plant take up ?

or can someone recommend a good bush variety for growing in the East
Anglia climate in a faily sunny spot.

For cob nuts try http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Bob Hobden 14-03-2007 05:04 PM

Squash

ginger wrote ...
I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.
Anyone got any experience with cobnut ? Is it vine or bush ? How much
space will each plant take up ?

Butternut Squash are vines and do run about quite a bit, grew them years ago
with great success, trying them again this year. Take up about the same
space as a normal sized pumpkin.

--
Regards
Bob H

[email protected] 14-03-2007 05:08 PM

Squash

On Mar 14, 5:04 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
ginger wrote ...I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.
Anyone got any experience with cobnut ? Is it vine or bush ? How much
space will each plant take up ?

Butternut Squash are vines and do run about quite a bit, grew them years ago
with great success, trying them again this year. Take up about the same
space as a normal sized pumpkin.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

I grew them last year, also in East Angia, Norfolk. They were a great
success. I kept some seeds and I have planted these in the greenhouse
today.

My favourite way of cooking them is to roast them, like parsnips,
delicious. I wanted a squash soup recipe and I found one yesterday on
another group.

Judith

Tom 15-03-2007 12:46 PM

Squash

wrote:

My favourite way of cooking them is to roast them, like parsnips,
delicious. I wanted a squash soup recipe and I found one yesterday on
another group.

I make butternut squash soup regularly. Here's my recipe:

1 pint of chicken stock (I just simmer the bare carcass of a roast chicken
for an hour for this)
3 large carrots
2 cloves of garlic mashed or chopped up small
A quarter of a large squash (or a third of a smaller one) You can roast
this first if you like but it doesn't make that much difference. Try it both
ways to see which you prefer.
1 good sized onion
1 heaped teaspoon of cumin (this is important, it really makes the
difference)
2 teaspoons of a good vegetable bouillon
salt and black pepper to taste
A quarter of a teaspoon of ginger or mixed spice if you like it.

Simmer everything together until the vegetables are tender, then I use a
hand held whizzer thingy to make it smooth and thick.

It's the best home made soup I've ever had. It freezes well too

Tom

sam 16-03-2007 08:27 PM

Squash

wrote:
I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.

A belated reply, sorry, but if your veggie plot is small
you should know that squash takes up a lot of room.
Last year I put up some canes and got them to grow
vertically. They have tendrils and will climb with a
little persuasion, taking up much less room.