GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blackbird chicks (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/155220-blackbird-chicks.html)

Sacha 14-03-2007 05:52 PM

Blackbird chicks

The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

[email protected] 14-03-2007 05:55 PM

Blackbird chicks

On Mar 14, 5:52 pm, Sacha wrote:
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I don't know anything about birds, but there is a nest above our front
door with little blue eggs in it. The mother or father goes mad when
I climb on a pot to take a look and dive bombs me!!

Judith

Sacha 14-03-2007 06:06 PM

Blackbird chicks

On 14/3/07 17:55, in article
,
" wrote:

On Mar 14, 5:52 pm, Sacha wrote:
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--

I don't know anything about birds, but there is a nest above our front
door with little blue eggs in it. The mother or father goes mad when
I climb on a pot to take a look and dive bombs me!!

Sounds like a blackbird but you'd know, of course. Ours don't seem to be
nesting yet but we had two males going hammer and tongs in a greenhouse
today - they're incredibly fierce when they get going!

shazzbat 14-03-2007 07:36 PM

Blackbird chicks

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 14/3/07 17:55, in article
,
" wrote:

On Mar 14, 5:52 pm, Sacha wrote:
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other
places he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--

I don't know anything about birds, but there is a nest above our front
door with little blue eggs in it. The mother or father goes mad when
I climb on a pot to take a look and dive bombs me!!

Sounds like a blackbird but you'd know, of course. Ours don't seem to be
nesting yet but we had two males going hammer and tongs in a greenhouse
today - they're incredibly fierce when they get going!
--

I saw a blackbird collecting twigs today, I assume this means nest building,
and therefore no eggs yet, let alone chicks.

Steve

Sacha 14-03-2007 07:41 PM

Blackbird chicks

On 14/3/07 19:36, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 14/3/07 17:55, in article
,
" wrote:

On Mar 14, 5:52 pm, Sacha wrote:
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other
places he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--

I don't know anything about birds, but there is a nest above our front
door with little blue eggs in it. The mother or father goes mad when
I climb on a pot to take a look and dive bombs me!!

Sounds like a blackbird but you'd know, of course. Ours don't seem to be
nesting yet but we had two males going hammer and tongs in a greenhouse
today - they're incredibly fierce when they get going!
--

I saw a blackbird collecting twigs today, I assume this means nest building,
and therefore no eggs yet, let alone chicks.

Steve

I know. It sounds extraordinary but this man is working in gardens all the
time and is a countryman. If he says blackbird chicks I'm inclined to
believe him. Whether the poor little things get through the next few weeks
is another matter. ;-(

Bevan Price 15-03-2007 06:55 PM

Blackbird chicks

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places
he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Sadly, I have a blackbird nest in one of my conifers. Three eggs, but the
nest seems to have been abandoned by the parents.
(St. Helens, Lancs). One blackbird gathering nesting materials, but taking
them to a different part of the garden.

Bevan

Sacha 16-03-2007 12:30 AM

Blackbird chicks

On 15/3/07 18:55, in article ,
"Bevan Price" meVIAfreeukFULLSTOPcom wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places
he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Sadly, I have a blackbird nest in one of my conifers. Three eggs, but the
nest seems to have been abandoned by the parents.
(St. Helens, Lancs). One blackbird gathering nesting materials, but taking
them to a different part of the garden.

Received wisdom seems to be that when birds do that, they know something we
don't. Infertile eggs, eggs too cold etc. We once had a duck that hatched
16 eggs and couldn't possible cover all of them. So she abandoned those,
hatched about 6 and successfully reared all of them.

Janet Tweedy 16-03-2007 12:41 PM

Blackbird chicks

In article , Sacha
writes
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places
he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!

When we went to Coton Manor about two years ago there was a nest of
blackbirds in amongst the plants for sale on the tables in the yard as
you walk in. the gardeners had put a notice up warning people to be
aware but the parents of the baby birds were happily flying to and from
feeding them at about 3 - 4 foot off the ground between three shrubs in
pots!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Sacha 16-03-2007 02:26 PM

Blackbird chicks

On 16/3/07 12:41, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places
he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!

When we went to Coton Manor about two years ago there was a nest of
blackbirds in amongst the plants for sale on the tables in the yard as
you walk in. the gardeners had put a notice up warning people to be
aware but the parents of the baby birds were happily flying to and from
feeding them at about 3 - 4 foot off the ground between three shrubs in
pots!

Happens here sometimes. This morning we noticed a blackbird nest-building
in a pot among the climbers so we'll have to put up a 'do not disturb' sign.
They sometimes nest in hanging baskets, too!