Old 14-03-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blackbird chicks

The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-03-2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 14, 5:52 pm, Sacha wrote:
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I don't know anything about birds, but there is a nest above our front
door with little blue eggs in it. The mother or father goes mad when
I climb on a pot to take a look and dive bombs me!!

Judith

Old 15-03-2007, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places
he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Sadly, I have a blackbird nest in one of my conifers. Three eggs, but the
nest seems to have been abandoned by the parents.
(St. Helens, Lancs). One blackbird gathering nesting materials, but taking
them to a different part of the garden.

Bevan

Old 16-03-2007, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/3/07 18:55, in article ,
"Bevan Price" meVIAfreeukFULLSTOPcom wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places
he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Sadly, I have a blackbird nest in one of my conifers. Three eggs, but the
nest seems to have been abandoned by the parents.
(St. Helens, Lancs). One blackbird gathering nesting materials, but taking
them to a different part of the garden.

Received wisdom seems to be that when birds do that, they know something we
don't. Infertile eggs, eggs too cold etc. We once had a duck that hatched
16 eggs and couldn't possible cover all of them. So she abandoned those,
hatched about 6 and successfully reared all of them.

Old 16-03-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places
he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!

When we went to Coton Manor about two years ago there was a nest of
blackbirds in amongst the plants for sale on the tables in the yard as
you walk in. the gardeners had put a notice up warning people to be
aware but the parents of the baby birds were happily flying to and from
feeding them at about 3 - 4 foot off the ground between three shrubs in
pots!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-03-2007, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/3/07 12:41, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
The man who cuts our grass told us today that, in one of the other places
he
goes to, he has found a blackbird nest with hatched chicks in it!

When we went to Coton Manor about two years ago there was a nest of
blackbirds in amongst the plants for sale on the tables in the yard as
you walk in. the gardeners had put a notice up warning people to be
aware but the parents of the baby birds were happily flying to and from
feeding them at about 3 - 4 foot off the ground between three shrubs in
pots!

Happens here sometimes. This morning we noticed a blackbird nest-building
in a pot among the climbers so we'll have to put up a 'do not disturb' sign.
They sometimes nest in hanging baskets, too!

Female blackbird Padraig Garden Photos 0 05-01-2007 06:09 AM
Blackbird problem ken1956 Gardening 4 25-05-2005 04:23 PM
Newbie: Help !! Magpie ate my blackbird chicks !! john.morgan United Kingdom 3 22-07-2004 06:18 PM
OT - Blackbird seems to be sunbathing! Chris United Kingdom 1 23-05-2004 08:06 PM
followup on Blackbird posting John Savage Australia 8 05-04-2003 06:36 AM