Old 15-03-2007, 02:42 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.rec.gardening,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.politics.misc

Default National Pig Association bullies try to silence VIVA and stopthe exposure of animal abuse !

Derek Moody wrote:
http://www.piggles.org.uk/

Saturday 17th March: Day of Action Against M&S’ Use of the Farrowing
Crate
Despite M&S’ assurances to their customers that: “We know it’s as
important to you as it is to us that our animal welfare standards are
second to none.”, this image conscious company still uses an
instrument of farmed animal torture so barbaric it should be condemned
to the history pages. The farrowing crate is a metal-barred cage in
which pregnant sows are locked a week before she gives birth and up to
four weeks afterwards – snip
For more information about factory farming or going vegetarian,
contact
Viva! 8 York Court, Wilder Street, Bristol BS2 8QH; T: 0117 944 1000;
E: ; www.viva.org.uk

I visited a breeding farm quite recently. It's true that things are bad
there. I went down an aisle where female pigs are kept together with
their young. At the time I went round the young pigs had just been taken
away and the mothers were kicking up blue murder. Alongside the females
was a male in another pen. They kept him there so that the females would
receive the scent and become fertile again. They were allowed to try to
become pregnant again twice within two weeks. If this didn't work they
were "sent off".
What I found most disturbing was another small box just across the aisle
from the females which contained one of the babies which "wasn't doing
very well". When the lid was lifted the baby pig was lying there under
heat to raise the temperature, and the box was full of black flies.
Presumably this animal could hear it's mother screaming. Some of the
young pigs had facial injuries from bites.
I think that it's inevitable in an industry which supplies animal
carcasses for food. I haven't eaten meat for twenty years so obviously I
see that as the way forward. I don't envisage any hope of redemption for
the meat industry. The very act of eating a dead animal dulls the
consciousness IMHO. The ridiculous thing is that in an advanced society
like ours it's completely unnecessary. Why do something that causes
suffering to sentient creatures when it's unnecessary? Why add suffering
to the world? The alternative choice is vast. The meat industry tells
you it's OK in order to maximise sales. That's what they're programmed
to do. I wish people could recognise the situation for themselves.

Viva Dahlia 093 No Name Garden Photos 0 02-05-2012 02:32 AM
The Dr Hadwen Trust is the UK's leading medical research charity that funds and promotes exclusively non-animal research techniques to replace animal experiments Cerumen[_3_] United Kingdom 1 23-08-2007 04:57 PM
One Day International Conference on the Relationship between Animal Abuse and Human Violence pearl United Kingdom 5 19-08-2007 02:36 PM
For Padraig: different kinds of gardens & folliage - Commemorative 2 Cent Stamps, National Parks Centennial, Cape Hatteras National Seashore.jpg 232672 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Garden Photos 0 11-05-2007 04:10 PM
Interested to be a part of National Event and International Exposure Ashok Plant Science 0 05-11-2004 06:47 AM