Old 27-03-2007, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Creosote in soil kills lilac tree

My next door neighbour painted our adjoining fence last year with
creosote and my well established lilac tree at 4 ft has died. My
neighbour is pleased because she did not want the tree there at her
fence but I do not know whether I can replant, or is the soil no
longer good for anything? Could I have a lilac in a pot so thet she
can do no more harm?

Old 27-03-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 27, 9:25 pm, "Snowflake" wrote:
My next door neighbour painted our adjoining fence last year with
creosote and my well established lilac tree at 4 ft has died. My
neighbour is pleased because she did not want the tree there at her
fence but I do not know whether I can replant, or is the soil no
longer good for anything? Could I have a lilac in a pot so thet she
can do no more harm?

I am really surprised that the fence could be responsible for your
tree loss do you think there could be another reason? Could the soil
have been drenched with something?

Judith

Old 27-03-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 27, 9:34 pm, "BoyPete" wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 27, 9:25 pm, "Snowflake" wrote:
My next door neighbour painted our adjoining fence last year with
creosote and my well established lilac tree at 4 ft has died. My
neighbour is pleased because she did not want the tree there at her
fence but I do not know whether I can replant, or is the soil no
longer good for anything? Could I have a lilac in a pot so thet she
can do no more harm?

I am really surprised that the fence could be responsible for your
tree loss do you think there could be another reason? Could the soil
have been drenched with something?

Judith

Mmm, creosote laced with arsenic? Time for Poirot?
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Non, Monsieur, time for soil analysis.

Old 28-03-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Mar, 21:25, "Snowflake" wrote:
My next door neighbour painted our adjoining fence last year with
creosote and my well established lilac tree at 4 ft has died. My
neighbour is pleased because she did not want the tree there at her
fence but I do not know whether I can replant, or is the soil no
longer good for anything? Could I have a lilac in a pot so thet she
can do no more harm?

That is so sad. I'm sorry. Lilacs are very strong growers and the
vulgaris ones espcially and I cannot imagine them in a pot. I've grown
lots of lilacs but never in pots. But you could grow the dwarf one
Syringa meyeri 'Palibin' in a pot (it is highly scented too which is
nice). It will be high maintenance though, especially at flowering
time when it will require lots of watering and feeding too. Couldn't
you move plant a new lilac on the other side of the garden?

Old 30-03-2007, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

Snowflake wrote:

My next door neighbour painted our adjoining fence last year with
creosote and my well established lilac tree at 4 ft has died. My
neighbour is pleased because she did not want the tree there at her
fence but I do not know whether I can replant, or is the soil no
longer good for anything? Could I have a lilac in a pot so thet she
can do no more harm?

Wasn't creosote banned last year ?
Duncan