Old 07-04-2007, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Feeding Broad Beans

Dear all,

I have never fed broad beans.

Ours are in flower but some leaves are a bit yellowish on the plants I
planted out last.

What should one use? Tomato food, a mulch of garden compost, or what?

Thanks for your help,

Keith

Old 12-04-2007, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
: Dear all,
:
: I have never fed broad beans.
:
: Ours are in flower but some leaves are a bit yellowish on the plants I
: planted out last.
:
: What should one use? Tomato food, a mulch of garden compost, or what?
:
: Thanks for your help,
:
: Keith
:
How about a drop of liquid seaweed extract. It may be that the dry spell has
just made them a bit sad and they'll pick up with a drop of nutrient rich
water

Old 12-04-2007, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 12, 1:47 pm, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
anonymity.com wrote:

: I have never fed broad beans.
: Ours are in flower but some leaves are a bit yellowish on the plants I
: planted out last.
: What should one use? Tomato food, a mulch of garden compost, or what?
: Thanks for your help,

How about a drop of liquid seaweed extract. It may be that the dry spell has
just made them a bit sad and they'll pick up with a drop of nutrient rich
water

That's what I thought about my onions. The dry spell is frightening
me. However, I use comfrey liquid on all my veg, but not yet as I
don't sow in the Autumn and therefore once I start sowing in the
spring, my comfrey is tiny (and I don't keep my potion over winter).
If I was you I would water well and then mulch well which would keep
the moisture around the flowering plants. I've started bringing straw
to the lotty. I've used newspaper to mulch my broadbeans in the past -
I water on top to make them soggy so they don't fly away. The
newspapers that is not the broadbeans ;o)