GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bay Tree loosing its leaves and going yellow ??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/156559-bay-tree-loosing-its-leaves-going-yellow.html)

luke58 09-04-2007 07:57 PM

Bay Tree loosing its leaves and going yellow ???

My bay tree (Ok its only 20cm tall) but its loosing its lower leaves
and the main top leaves are going yellow ???

What do I do.

Nick Maclaren 09-04-2007 08:41 PM

Bay Tree loosing its leaves and going yellow ???

In article ,
luke58 writes:
| My bay tree (Ok its only 20cm tall) but its loosing its lower leaves
| and the main top leaves are going yellow ???
|
| What do I do.

Did you keep it too wet?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Granity 09-04-2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luke58 (Post 703802)
My bay tree (Ok its only 20cm tall) but its loosing its lower leaves
and the main top leaves are going yellow ???

What do I do.

Feed it with a liquid feed then much it, worked for mine

Sacha 09-04-2007 10:30 PM

Bay Tree loosing its leaves and going yellow ???

On 9/4/07 19:57, in article ,
"luke58" wrote:

My bay tree (Ok its only 20cm tall) but its loosing its lower leaves
and the main top leaves are going yellow ???

What do I do.

Stop watering it. Let its compost dry out and water it only when it's bone
dry and can drain completely, then let it dry out etc.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Pam Moore 09-04-2007 10:33 PM

Bay Tree loosing its leaves and going yellow ???

On 9 Apr 2007 19:41:15 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
luke58 writes:
| My bay tree (Ok its only 20cm tall) but its loosing its lower leaves
| and the main top leaves are going yellow ???
|
| What do I do.

Did you keep it too wet?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Or if in a pot, has it dried out? I've had to water all my pots
thoroughly. Camellias losing leaves and buds; need TLC!

Pam in Bristol

Nick Maclaren 09-04-2007 10:49 PM

Pam Moore writes:
| In article ,
| luke58 writes:
|
| | My bay tree (Ok its only 20cm tall) but its loosing its lower leaves
| | and the main top leaves are going yellow ???
| |
| | What do I do.
|
| Did you keep it too wet?
|
| Or if in a pot, has it dried out? I've had to water all my pots
| thoroughly. Camellias losing leaves and buds; need TLC!

Bay leaves are unlikely to go yellow if it is underwatered. They
go dull and drop off.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

luke58 10-04-2007 04:57 PM

Bay Tree loosing its leaves and going yellow ???

So would you go along with using a loam based potting compost as
opposed to the 'peat' based composts, for potting bay trees up.

Nick Maclaren 10-04-2007 06:24 PM

luke58 writes:

| So would you go along with using a loam based potting compost as
| opposed to the 'peat' based composts, for potting bay trees up.

Yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha 10-04-2007 10:01 PM

Bay Tree loosing its leaves and going yellow ???

On 10/4/07 16:57, in article ,
"luke58" wrote:

So would you go along with using a loam based potting compost as
opposed to the 'peat' based composts, for potting bay trees up.

We use John Innes No 3 mixed with a Sinclair peat based (mixed for the
trade) and some slow release fertiliser. You could try a multi-purpose
compost in place of the Sinclair we use, perhaps, my husband suggests.