Old 09-04-2007, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sustainability Scam

Almost every day one reads about "sustainable development" and
"sustainability", especially in the construction of new buildings and
a host of so-called eco-activities, but is it all hot air contributing
to Global Warming? I fear the answer is yes!

A whole new industry of experts, consultants and educators has sprung
up on the back of these terms but when asked when sustainability can
be determined, they appear not to know. If they don't know
themselves, how can they convince others?

As a lay person, my view of sustainability is that it must show a
neutral or less than neutral impact on the natural environment in
terms of our human footprint and contribution to climate change, in a
world where we are already exceeding this impact. Any additional
impact whatsoever cannot be sustainable.

So when a new development or eco-activity is added to our
environmental impact it might possibly be less damaging than it could
have been, but it is certainly not sustainable unless at the same time
and in association, a greater impact is removed.

Indeed, in the present eco-crisis, the buzz-word "sustainability"
appears to be part of the "con" in conservation perpetrated against
the world's populations by fakes.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org