Old 16-04-2007, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Germination Times

Does anyone know where I can find out general germination times for
vegetable seeds so that I know whether or not I should re-sow? My carrots
are taking a long time to come through and I'm wondering if they've failed
and I need to re-sow.

Thanks.

Old 16-04-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It's in all Dr Hessayon's books.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 16-04-2007, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baal" wrote ...
It's in all Dr Hessayon's books.

Many thanks. I'll take a look at the book.

Old 16-04-2007, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baal wrote:
It's in all Dr Hessayon's books.

Or, if you'd rather not spend money ;-)

just look he

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/germination.html

Jeff
NE England
Old 16-04-2007, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nice to have it all in one place - thank you!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
"Jeff Taylor" wrote in message
. uk...

Old 16-04-2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Melanie" wrote in message
"Baal" wrote ...
It's in all Dr Hessayon's books.

Many thanks. I'll take a look at the book.

Carrots are one of the slower germinators. That's why many people sow
radishes and carrots together. The radishes come up first to show where the
row is, then the radishes are pulled conveniently when the carrots are
showing.

Steve

Old 16-04-2007, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote
Carrots are one of the slower germinators. That's why many people sow
radishes and carrots together. The radishes come up first to show where
the row is, then the radishes are pulled conveniently when the carrots are
showing.

They may be if you buy seed but that isn't the case if you sow your own
seed. We always had problems with carrot germination until we started to
keep our own seed (originally Long Red Surrey/Chertsey from
http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/ ) and now they germinate within a week or so.
I wonder if it's the way bought seed is treated, naturally it's furry but
the bought stuff is smooth so must have had the wiskers that make it stick
to clothing sanded off.
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 16-04-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Taylor" wrote...
Baal wrote:
It's in all Dr Hessayon's books.

Or, if you'd rather not spend money ;-)

just look he

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/germination.html

Thanks, Jeff, just what I wanted.

Old 17-04-2007, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Melanie" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can find out general germination times for
vegetable seeds so that I know whether or not I should re-sow? My carrots
are taking a long time to come through and I'm wondering if they've failed
and I need to re-sow.

Have a bit of patience, some seeds like carrots do take a long time!

Thanks.

Old 17-04-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote
Carrots are one of the slower germinators. That's why many people sow
radishes and carrots together. The radishes come up first to show where
the row is, then the radishes are pulled conveniently when the carrots
are showing.

They may be if you buy seed but that isn't the case if you sow your own
seed. We always had problems with carrot germination until we started to
keep our own seed (originally Long Red Surrey/Chertsey from
http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/ ) and now they germinate within a week or so.
I wonder if it's the way bought seed is treated, naturally it's furry but
the bought stuff is smooth so must have had the wiskers that make it stick
to clothing sanded off.

That's interesting. They say you learn something every day and I have today.
I've only ever seen carrot seeds in the packet as bought.

Trouble is I've now got this mental image of rows of people sanding down the
seeds with a sheet of sandpaper before they go in the packets :-))

Steve

Germination Times Ade United Kingdom 4 27-05-2006 11:47 PM
Hi, saw these thought Some Folks here might find them Usefull in these dry times (url) Root Watering Christopher Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Circulation Times BenignVanilla Ponds 4 05-02-2003 06:52 AM
Circulation Times BenignVanilla Ponds (alternative) 0 04-02-2003 04:28 PM
Old-Growth "War of Words" in New York Times Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 20-12-2002 02:50 PM