GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leyland Cypress (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/156972-leyland-cypress.html)

Rich[_5_] 17-04-2007 02:45 PM

Leyland Cypress

Hi,
I have bought a Leyland Cypress and planted it today about 3 foot from my
house. I'm not sure if this will be OK because I am now looking on the
internet and reading about roots and subsidence.
I bought this conifer because it is fast growing and I want to hide my
neighbours conservatory as quick as possible. Will this do any damage to my
house if I keep it trimmed to 8-10 foot tall and as wide as 1 fence panel or
is it best to buy something else?
Thanks

BoyPete 17-04-2007 08:55 PM

Leyland Cypress

Rich wrote:
Hi,
I have bought a Leyland Cypress and planted it today about 3 foot
from my house. I'm not sure if this will be OK because I am now
looking on the internet and reading about roots and subsidence.
I bought this conifer because it is fast growing and I want to hide my
neighbours conservatory as quick as possible. Will this do any damage
to my house if I keep it trimmed to 8-10 foot tall and as wide as 1
fence panel or is it best to buy something else?
Thanks

I'd be rather worried, not just about the spread of the root system, but
also the amount of water it will extract form below foundations. I'm sure
others here can be more informative.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Mike Lyle 17-04-2007 09:01 PM

Leyland Cypress

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Rich wrote:
Hi,
I have bought a Leyland Cypress and planted it today about 3 foot
from my house. I'm not sure if this will be OK because I am now
looking on the internet and reading about roots and subsidence.
I bought this conifer because it is fast growing and I want to hide

my
neighbours conservatory as quick as possible. Will this do any

damage
to my house if I keep it trimmed to 8-10 foot tall and as wide as 1
fence panel or is it best to buy something else?
Thanks

I'd be rather worried, not just about the spread of the root system,

but
also the amount of water it will extract form below foundations. I'm

sure
others here can be more informative.

And keeping it to 8-10 ft won't affect the roots, and will look horrible
(IMO).

--
Mike.

CWatters 20-04-2007 07:33 PM