Old 17-04-2007, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leyland Cypress

Hi,
I have bought a Leyland Cypress and planted it today about 3 foot from my
house. I'm not sure if this will be OK because I am now looking on the
internet and reading about roots and subsidence.
I bought this conifer because it is fast growing and I want to hide my
neighbours conservatory as quick as possible. Will this do any damage to my
house if I keep it trimmed to 8-10 foot tall and as wide as 1 fence panel or
is it best to buy something else?
Thanks

Old 17-04-2007, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rich wrote:
Hi,
I have bought a Leyland Cypress and planted it today about 3 foot
from my house. I'm not sure if this will be OK because I am now
looking on the internet and reading about roots and subsidence.
I bought this conifer because it is fast growing and I want to hide my
neighbours conservatory as quick as possible. Will this do any damage
to my house if I keep it trimmed to 8-10 foot tall and as wide as 1
fence panel or is it best to buy something else?
Thanks

I'd be rather worried, not just about the spread of the root system, but
also the amount of water it will extract form below foundations. I'm sure
others here can be more informative.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 17-04-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Rich wrote:
Hi,
I have bought a Leyland Cypress and planted it today about 3 foot
from my house. I'm not sure if this will be OK because I am now
looking on the internet and reading about roots and subsidence.
I bought this conifer because it is fast growing and I want to hide

my
neighbours conservatory as quick as possible. Will this do any

damage
to my house if I keep it trimmed to 8-10 foot tall and as wide as 1
fence panel or is it best to buy something else?
Thanks

I'd be rather worried, not just about the spread of the root system,

but
also the amount of water it will extract form below foundations. I'm

sure
others here can be more informative.

And keeping it to 8-10 ft won't affect the roots, and will look horrible
(IMO).

--
Mike.

Old 20-04-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Try beech hedging perhaps.

Leyland cypress turned brown-help! The Popovics Gardening 0 07-04-2003 02:08 AM
How do Leyland Cypress fare in Austin? Jer Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Propogating Leyland Cypress... TakeThisOut Gardening 2 02-04-2003 04:56 PM
leyland cypress HI HI- Gardening 0 24-03-2003 12:20 AM
leyland cypress Mark or Travis Gardening 13 23-03-2003 04:44 PM