GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   white leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/157373-white-leaves.html)

jsp 24-04-2007 08:33 PM

white leaves

What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

I can't name the plant affected, but it's a small tree which I'm informed
will climb against a fence. I was given it about a month ago and have
planted it in a pot with potting compost. Two leaves have turned white on
the upper face, the underside still being green.

What could be the cause of this, and what should I do in an attempt to fix
it?

Ta.

John

Serena Blanchflower 24-04-2007 08:46 PM

white leaves

* jsp wrote, On 24/04/2007 20:33:
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

I can't name the plant affected, but it's a small tree which I'm informed
will climb against a fence. I was given it about a month ago and have
planted it in a pot with potting compost. Two leaves have turned white on
the upper face, the underside still being green.

What could be the cause of this, and what should I do in an attempt to fix
it?

There's a good chance that all you have to do is enjoy it. Is it an
Actinidia Kolomikta
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/16.shtml)?
If so, this is absolutely normal and the leaves will shortly go pink
as well.

--
Cheers, Serena

Only the foolish visit the land of the cannibals (Maori proverb)

Charlie Pridham 25-04-2007 08:43 AM

white leaves

"jsp" wrote in message
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

I can't name the plant affected, but it's a small tree which I'm informed
will climb against a fence. I was given it about a month ago and have
planted it in a pot with potting compost. Two leaves have turned white on
the upper face, the underside still being green.

What could be the cause of this, and what should I do in an attempt to fix
it?

Ta.

John

Probably cold damage, nothing to do it will soon sort itself out.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Tunku 25-04-2007 10:03 AM

white leaves

"jsp" wrote in news:PXsXh.41$615.24@newsfe7-
win.ntli.net:

What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

Usually happens to me after I've painted the eaves...

--
Tunku

"Caution : traces of irony and other metallic objects may be present in the
above post"

Klara 25-04-2007 11:27 AM

white leaves

In message , jsp
writes
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

I can't name the plant affected, but it's a small tree which I'm informed
will climb against a fence. I was given it about a month ago and have
planted it in a pot with potting compost. Two leaves have turned white on
the upper face, the underside still being green.

What could be the cause of this, and what should I do in an attempt to fix
it?

Ta.

John

Does it have thorns, white flowers, and red or yellow or orange berries?
If so, it is pyracantha, and the white could be fireblight: someone else
may know how bad that is ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

jsp 25-04-2007 08:01 PM

white leaves

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message
* jsp wrote, On 24/04/2007 20:33:
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

There's a good chance that all you have to do is enjoy it. Is it an
Actinidia Kolomikta
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/16.shtml)?
If so, this is absolutely normal and the leaves will shortly go pink as
well.

Thanks. I followed the link and that looks just like it. I shall indeed
sit back and enjoy it :-)

John
(Feeling slightly foolish)

jsp 25-04-2007 08:03 PM

white leaves

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"jsp" wrote in message
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

Probably cold damage, nothing to do it will soon sort itself out.

That's one thing I was sure it wasn't: in all the time I've had it the
weather has been really rather warm...
Unusually...

Thanks anyway.

John

jsp 25-04-2007 08:04 PM

white leaves

"Tunku" wrote in message
. 109.145...
"jsp" wrote in news:PXsXh.41$615.24@newsfe7-
win.ntli.net:

What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

Usually happens to me after I've painted the eaves...

LOL

I just painted the fence, but then that was green....

John

jsp 25-04-2007 08:05 PM

white leaves

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , jsp
writes
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

Does it have thorns, white flowers, and red or yellow or orange berries?

Fortunately, no, but thanks anyway.

John

Serena Blanchflower 25-04-2007 08:25 PM

white leaves

* jsp wrote, On 24/04/2007 20:33:
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

There's a good chance that all you have to do is enjoy it. Is it an
Actinidia Kolomikta
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/16.shtml)?
If so, this is absolutely normal and the leaves will shortly go pink as
well.

Thanks. I followed the link and that looks just like it. I shall indeed
sit back and enjoy it :-)

John
(Feeling slightly foolish)

Don't feel foolish :) The reason I thought of that immediately is
that it isn't the first time I've been asked about this strange white
blight affecting a climber's leaves.

--
Cheers, Serena

Any society that surrenders a little bit of freedom for a little bit
of security, deserves neither and will lose both (Benjamin Franklin)

Serena Blanchflower 25-04-2007 08:27 PM

white leaves

"jsp" wrote in message
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

Probably cold damage, nothing to do it will soon sort itself out.

That's one thing I was sure it wasn't: in all the time I've had it the
weather has been really rather warm...
Unusually...

In fact, my actinidia suffered some cold damage this year, in the late
frosts, and rather than going white, the affected leaves just
shrivelled up. The remaining leaves now look as if they've been
nicely painted.

--
Cheers, Serena

It is far better to be alone than to wish you were.

jsp 26-04-2007 08:24 PM

white leaves

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message

Don't feel foolish :) The reason I thought of that immediately is that it
isn't the first time I've been asked about this strange white blight
affecting a climber's leaves.

Ah well, at least I'm not alone...

John

jsp 26-04-2007 08:26 PM

white leaves

* jsp wrote, On 25/04/2007 20:03:
That's one thing I was sure it wasn't: in all the time I've had it the
weather has been really rather warm...
Unusually...

In fact, my actinidia suffered some cold damage this year, in the late
frosts, and rather than going white, the affected leaves just shrivelled
up. The remaining leaves now look as if they've been nicely painted.

I've only had this plat for three or four weeks, so there haven't been any
frosts. Unless they were all warmed away before I got up, of course...

John