Old 24-04-2007, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jsp jsp is offline

Default white leaves

What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

I can't name the plant affected, but it's a small tree which I'm informed
will climb against a fence. I was given it about a month ago and have
planted it in a pot with potting compost. Two leaves have turned white on
the upper face, the underside still being green.

What could be the cause of this, and what should I do in an attempt to fix
it?

Ta.

John

Old 24-04-2007, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

* jsp wrote, On 24/04/2007 20:33:
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

I can't name the plant affected, but it's a small tree which I'm informed
will climb against a fence. I was given it about a month ago and have
planted it in a pot with potting compost. Two leaves have turned white on
the upper face, the underside still being green.

What could be the cause of this, and what should I do in an attempt to fix
it?

There's a good chance that all you have to do is enjoy it. Is it an
Actinidia Kolomikta
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/16.shtml)?
If so, this is absolutely normal and the leaves will shortly go pink
as well.

--
Cheers, Serena

Only the foolish visit the land of the cannibals (Maori proverb)
Old 25-04-2007, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jsp" wrote in message
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

I can't name the plant affected, but it's a small tree which I'm informed
will climb against a fence. I was given it about a month ago and have
planted it in a pot with potting compost. Two leaves have turned white on
the upper face, the underside still being green.

What could be the cause of this, and what should I do in an attempt to fix
it?

Ta.

John

Probably cold damage, nothing to do it will soon sort itself out.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-04-2007, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jsp" wrote in news:PXsXh.41$615.24@newsfe7-
win.ntli.net:

What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

Usually happens to me after I've painted the eaves...

--
Tunku

"Caution : traces of irony and other metallic objects may be present in the
above post"
Old 25-04-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , jsp
writes
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

I can't name the plant affected, but it's a small tree which I'm informed
will climb against a fence. I was given it about a month ago and have
planted it in a pot with potting compost. Two leaves have turned white on
the upper face, the underside still being green.

What could be the cause of this, and what should I do in an attempt to fix
it?

Ta.

John

Does it have thorns, white flowers, and red or yellow or orange berries?
If so, it is pyracantha, and the white could be fireblight: someone else
may know how bad that is ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 25-04-2007, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jsp jsp is offline

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message
* jsp wrote, On 24/04/2007 20:33:
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

There's a good chance that all you have to do is enjoy it. Is it an
Actinidia Kolomikta
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/16.shtml)?
If so, this is absolutely normal and the leaves will shortly go pink as
well.

Thanks. I followed the link and that looks just like it. I shall indeed
sit back and enjoy it :-)

John
(Feeling slightly foolish)

Old 25-04-2007, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jsp jsp is offline

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"jsp" wrote in message
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

Probably cold damage, nothing to do it will soon sort itself out.

That's one thing I was sure it wasn't: in all the time I've had it the
weather has been really rather warm...
Unusually...

Thanks anyway.

John

Old 25-04-2007, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jsp jsp is offline

"Tunku" wrote in message
. 109.145...
"jsp" wrote in news:PXsXh.41$615.24@newsfe7-
win.ntli.net:

What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

Usually happens to me after I've painted the eaves...

LOL

I just painted the fence, but then that was green....

John

Old 25-04-2007, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jsp jsp is offline

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , jsp
writes
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

Does it have thorns, white flowers, and red or yellow or orange berries?

Fortunately, no, but thanks anyway.

John

Old 25-04-2007, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

* jsp wrote, On 24/04/2007 20:33:
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

There's a good chance that all you have to do is enjoy it. Is it an
Actinidia Kolomikta
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/16.shtml)?
If so, this is absolutely normal and the leaves will shortly go pink as
well.

Thanks. I followed the link and that looks just like it. I shall indeed
sit back and enjoy it :-)

John
(Feeling slightly foolish)

Don't feel foolish The reason I thought of that immediately is
that it isn't the first time I've been asked about this strange white
blight affecting a climber's leaves.

--
Cheers, Serena

Any society that surrenders a little bit of freedom for a little bit
of security, deserves neither and will lose both (Benjamin Franklin)

Old 25-04-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jsp" wrote in message
What is the likely cause for leaves turning white?

Probably cold damage, nothing to do it will soon sort itself out.

That's one thing I was sure it wasn't: in all the time I've had it the
weather has been really rather warm...
Unusually...

In fact, my actinidia suffered some cold damage this year, in the late
frosts, and rather than going white, the affected leaves just
shrivelled up. The remaining leaves now look as if they've been
nicely painted.

--
Cheers, Serena

It is far better to be alone than to wish you were.
Old 26-04-2007, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jsp jsp is offline

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message

Don't feel foolish The reason I thought of that immediately is that it
isn't the first time I've been asked about this strange white blight
affecting a climber's leaves.

Ah well, at least I'm not alone...

John

Old 26-04-2007, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jsp jsp is offline

* jsp wrote, On 25/04/2007 20:03:
That's one thing I was sure it wasn't: in all the time I've had it the
weather has been really rather warm...
Unusually...

In fact, my actinidia suffered some cold damage this year, in the late
frosts, and rather than going white, the affected leaves just shrivelled
up. The remaining leaves now look as if they've been nicely painted.

I've only had this plat for three or four weeks, so there haven't been any
frosts. Unless they were all warmed away before I got up, of course...

John