Old 29-04-2007, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery shrub

Dear URGlers,

I've come across this pretty shrub in a garden I'm helping with :-

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...ryshrubdj7.jpg

Any ideas ?

5 petals, reddish foliage, so I'm thinking rose family ?

thanks..

Mike.

Old 29-04-2007, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Leptospermum scoparium - Burgundy Queen.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
ups.com...

Old 29-04-2007, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/4/07 13:31, in article
,
" wrote:

Dear URGlers,

I've come across this pretty shrub in a garden I'm helping with :-

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...ryshrubdj7.jpg

Any ideas ?

5 petals, reddish foliage, so I'm thinking rose family ?

thanks..

Mike.

Could it be Leptospermum scoparium 'Burgundy Queen'. If so, it's one of the
Myrtle family.
It's beautiful, whatever it is!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...

Dear URGlers,

I've come across this pretty shrub in a garden I'm helping with :-

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...ryshrubdj7.jpg

Any ideas ?

5 petals, reddish foliage, so I'm thinking rose family ?

thanks..

Mike.

I reckon it's a camellia

Old 29-04-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Apr, 14:44, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Dear URGlers,

I've come across this pretty shrub in a garden I'm helping with :-

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...ryshrubdj7.jpg

Any ideas ?

5 petals, reddish foliage, so I'm thinking rose family ?

thanks..

Mike.

I reckon it's a camellia

I reckon Sacha's right ... it apparently flowers all year .. I'd
guessed at Hebe for the leaves ...

http://www.smgrowers.com/info/images.asp?strLetter=L

Old 29-04-2007, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Apr 2007 05:31:09 -0700, wrote:

Dear URGlers,

I've come across this pretty shrub in a garden I'm helping with :-

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...ryshrubdj7.jpg

Any ideas ?

5 petals, reddish foliage, so I'm thinking rose family ?

thanks..

Mike.

There is one in my garden that has just finished flowering. I have
always thought it to be a variety of Camellia.

Steve

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com

Old 29-04-2007, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/4/07 15:12, in article ,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On 29 Apr 2007 05:31:09 -0700,
wrote:

Dear URGlers,

I've come across this pretty shrub in a garden I'm helping with :-

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...ryshrubdj7.jpg

Any ideas ?

5 petals, reddish foliage, so I'm thinking rose family ?

thanks..

Mike.

There is one in my garden that has just finished flowering. I have
always thought it to be a variety of Camellia.

Steve

If it IS Leptospermum, Steve, the flowers are a lot smaller than a Camellia.
Here's a link to a pic of another but different one:
http://tinyurl.com/ywgp2x

Old 29-04-2007, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/4/07 15:12, in article ,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On 29 Apr 2007 05:31:09 -0700,
wrote:

Dear URGlers,

I've come across this pretty shrub in a garden I'm helping with :-

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...ryshrubdj7.jpg

Any ideas ?

5 petals, reddish foliage, so I'm thinking rose family ?

thanks..

Mike.

There is one in my garden that has just finished flowering. I have
always thought it to be a variety of Camellia.

Steve

If it IS Leptospermum, Steve, the flowers are a lot smaller than a
Camellia.
Here's a link to a pic of another but different one:
http://tinyurl.com/ywgp2x
--
Sacha
(remove weeds from address)

Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
Join uk.rec.gardening instead.

That is http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk which Hubbard is advertising. Well
worth a look and full of lots of interesting information from lots of
sights.

Go and take a peek over the fence.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:17:04 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/4/07 15:12, in article ,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On 29 Apr 2007 05:31:09 -0700,
wrote:

Dear URGlers,

I've come across this pretty shrub in a garden I'm helping with :-

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...ryshrubdj7.jpg

Any ideas ?

5 petals, reddish foliage, so I'm thinking rose family ?

thanks..

Mike.

There is one in my garden that has just finished flowering. I have
always thought it to be a variety of Camellia.

Steve

If it IS Leptospermum, Steve, the flowers are a lot smaller than a Camellia.
Here's a link to a pic of another but different one:
http://tinyurl.com/ywgp2x

I was comparing the flower size with the leaf size. The leaves on mine
are about an inch long, the flowers are about 2.5 inches across.

Which plant is it?

Steve

Old 29-04-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com,
writes

Dear URGlers,

I've come across this pretty shrub in a garden I'm helping with :-

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...ryshrubdj7.jpg

Any ideas ?

5 petals, reddish foliage, so I'm thinking rose family ?

thanks..

Mike.

Are the petals fused or separate? They're looking fused to me, but that
could be the photograph, not reality. (The rose family doesn't have
fused petals.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-04-2007, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/4/07 16:30, in article ,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:17:04 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/4/07 15:12, in article
,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On 29 Apr 2007 05:31:09 -0700,
wrote:

Dear URGlers,

I've come across this pretty shrub in a garden I'm helping with :-

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...ryshrubdj7.jpg

Any ideas ?

5 petals, reddish foliage, so I'm thinking rose family ?

thanks..

Mike.

There is one in my garden that has just finished flowering. I have
always thought it to be a variety of Camellia.

Steve

If it IS Leptospermum, Steve, the flowers are a lot smaller than a Camellia.
Here's a link to a pic of another but different one:
http://tinyurl.com/ywgp2x

I was comparing the flower size with the leaf size. The leaves on mine
are about an inch long, the flowers are about 2.5 inches across.

Which plant is it?

Steve

It looks to me and others like Leptospermum scoparium 'Burgundy Queen'. If
you do a Google image search on that, you'll get some idea of what that
looks like.

Old 29-04-2007, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/4/07 16:30, in article ,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:17:04 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/4/07 15:12, in article
,

Old 29-04-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:37:40 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/4/07 16:30, in article ,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

There is one in my garden that has just finished flowering. I have
always thought it to be a variety of Camellia.

Steve

If it IS Leptospermum, Steve, the flowers are a lot smaller than a Camellia.
Here's a link to a pic of another but different one:
http://tinyurl.com/ywgp2x

I was comparing the flower size with the leaf size. The leaves on mine
are about an inch long, the flowers are about 2.5 inches across.

Which plant is it?

Steve

It looks to me and others like Leptospermum scoparium 'Burgundy Queen'. If
you do a Google image search on that, you'll get some idea of what that
looks like.

Yes, you're right, it looks like my plant is a Leptospermum scoparium.
I bought it as a red Camellia for my wife about ten years ago because
she always wanted something to brighten up the garden early.

How will I break the news?

Steve

Old 29-04-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Steve
Wolstenholme writes
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:37:40 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/4/07 16:30, in article ,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

[...]

I've checked my files and within the limits of the photograph I'd agree
with the identification as Leptospermum. In particular the flower looks
like one I have photographed as L. scoparium 'Ron Glory' (perhaps an
error for 'Crimson Glory').

However if your flowers are about 2.5 inches across it's not any
Leptospermum I've ever seen. (Leptospermum flowers are about 1.5-2 cm
acrooss. 2.5 inches would fit a Camellia.)

Leptospermum and Camellia don't look alike, but I'm struggling for a
form of words for an easy single character distinction. Single Camellia
have a cylindrical ring of stamens, often fused at the base. (18th
century botanists tended to lump them, and more so some of their
relatives like Stewartia, Gordonia and Malachodendron, with mallows
because of this character.) But single Leptospermums have a similar
feature (but with fewer stamens).

Camellias have large glossy leaves, comparable in size with the flowers.
Leptospermums have small leaves, even smaller than the relatively small
flowers. If your plant has 2.5 inch flowers and 1 inch leaves it may be
neither a Camellia nor a Leptospermum. It may be premature to break the
news (but if it does the desired job does its identity matter).

When does your plant flower? Nothing with red flowers that flowers early
other than Camellia and Rhododendron comes to mind (unless you could
Hamamelis).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Another Mystery Plant (Shrub) ID Please? Ian B[_2_] United Kingdom 11 03-05-2010 11:56 AM
mystery shrub cb Gardening 4 20-07-2007 12:20 AM
Mystery Weed Identified, new mystery weed, Central Ohio Ron Hardin Plant Science 5 21-04-2006 11:23 PM
Mystery shrub Anonny Moose Gardening 5 16-10-2004 02:22 PM
another mystery shrub Dawn Gardening 6 14-04-2004 12:02 AM