Old 30-04-2007, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frogs

When we moved to our present house there was a small (6ish X 8ish X 1.5 ft )
earth filled concrete pond in the garden. I removed the earth and found the
concrete was cracked so lined the pond with sheet liner held in place using
a mixture of grit, peat and cement to produce a tufa which extends to a few
inches below the water level and now looks the same as the rocks bedded into
it round the pond's edges.

The problem - if one can call it that - is the number of frogs in the pond
and on the fuchsia shaded ledges I left in the tufa - I counted ten this
morning but I expect some were hiding beneath lily pads. I often see them
climbing out to sunbathe for a while! With no worthwhile rain this April
they seem to be forced to stay near the pond.

"Problem"? Not really mine but the frogs must be starving for there's
little natural food in the pond and I've seen them trying to catch damsel
flies to no avail.

What and how can I supply the frogs with a meal now and then?

Lionel

Old 30-04-2007, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/4/07 10:24, in article , "Lionel"
lionel wrote:

[...]

They eat beetles and slugs and things of that sort, so they'd probably be
glad of mealworms, for example.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM