Old 01-05-2007, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default dying box

Hi there

A very novice gardener here.

We recently redid our garden and I salvaged some lovely mature box to
plant in pots. I did a really quick job in December, putting them in
some cheap plastic pots with a bit of peat-free compost. This was a
*really* quick job done in the middle of the night. I expected them to
die as the pots were small and they fell over a couple of times, but
they survived the winter in good health.

I then transferred two of them to some nice zinc tapered planters from
Homebase. These were much bigger. I put in some more peat-free compost
and gave them a fairly savage pruning.

For about 4 weeks they looked beautiful.

Let's just say that now they are looking awful. I water them pretty
often, probably twice a week. I hadn't realised just how badly they
were doing till I compared them to the third box which I trimmed but
left in its plastic pot. The one in the plastic pot is green and
healthy. The two which I have transferred are brown, slightly
dessicated and look very unwell.

My great gardening triumph is turning to disaster before my eyes.

Any thoughts?

My first thought is that the metal planters are heating up the roots
so they dry out. I know it's hot at the moment, but not that hot
surely? The box are in part sun part shade. Probably in sun 50% of the
day. Should I bin the zinc planters?

I also wonder whether it is worth standing the planters in a dish to
keep them wetter rather than letting excess water drain out?

I added some top soil to raise the level of the earth in the container
and to hopefully retain more moisture. Too soon to say if that has
helped.

Should I feed them?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Daniel

Old 01-05-2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Daniel

Snipped

Let's just say that now they are looking awful. I water them pretty
often, probably twice a week. I hadn't realised just how badly they
were doing till I compared them to the third box which I trimmed but
left in its plastic pot. The one in the plastic pot is green and
healthy. The two which I have transferred are brown, slightly
dessicated and look very unwell.

My great gardening triumph is turning to disaster before my eyes.

Any thoughts?

Whilst box don't like to be in dry soil, are you sure they have sufficient
drainage and aren't sitting in water? I'd be tempted to lift one of the
plants and see if the roots are wet, and whether there is any root growth.
You could also check that the roots have started to grow out into the
surrounding compost, and not in a spiral as they may have been in their old
pot.

My first thought is that the metal planters are heating up the roots
so they dry out. I know it's hot at the moment, but not that hot
surely? The box are in part sun part shade. Probably in sun 50% of the
day. Should I bin the zinc planters?

I doubt very much that it's the planters heating up (I'm assuming that they
are largish planters and not the small 5inch type zinc pots). Box don't mind
sun or partial shade so I don't think that's the problem either.

I also wonder whether it is worth standing the planters in a dish to
keep them wetter rather than letting excess water drain out?

I added some top soil to raise the level of the earth in the container
and to hopefully retain more moisture. Too soon to say if that has
helped.

Should I feed them?

Don't feed them - it sounds like they are stressed enough, feeding them will
only make them worse.

You could always take a few cuttings off the plant that is doing well. Take
4 inch cuttings, removing the bottom couple of pairs of leaves and push into
a pot of soil or compost, and leave in the shade.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 08-05-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 May, 16:57, "Nick Gray" wrote:
Hi Daniel

Snipped

[...]

A blatant bump here. Anyone else got any thoughts to help out my poor
desicated box? I guess I must have traumatised them by repotting and
pruning them at the same time.

Plant Selection at Big Box Stores [email protected] Gardening 4 12-04-2009 09:20 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Bee Box RichardS United Kingdom 1 08-04-2003 12:08 PM
English box, Japanese box growth. Which faster? Nick Cook Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM