GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broad Beans and Blackfly (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159161-broad-beans-blackfly.html)

White Van Man 26-05-2007 11:59 AM

Broad Beans and Blackfly

Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to reduce
the little buggers?

Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

Nick Maclaren 26-05-2007 12:13 PM

Broad Beans and Blackfly

In article ,
"White Van Man" writes:

| Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to reduce
| the little buggers?
|
| Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

Horticultural liquid soap (e.g. Savona), available from Green Gardener,
Tuckers etc.

Diluted washing up liquid with a squirt of methylated spirit.

In both cases, you can spray the plants until they are soaked, and do
it several times a week with no major harm.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

White Van Man 26-05-2007 12:18 PM

Broad Beans and Blackfly

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"White Van Man" writes:

| Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to
reduce
| the little buggers?
|
| Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

Horticultural liquid soap (e.g. Savona), available from Green Gardener,
Tuckers etc.

Diluted washing up liquid with a squirt of methylated spirit.

In both cases, you can spray the plants until they are soaked, and do
it several times a week with no major harm.

Blimey....quick response Nick..I'll try that many thanks...

Will Wilkinson 26-05-2007 01:15 PM

Broad Beans and Blackfly

In message , White Van Man
writes
Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to reduce
the little buggers?

Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

I use a 10% solution of Ecover washing up liquid - works a treat and is
plant based so pretty much an organic solution ;-)

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net

Brian Watson 26-05-2007 05:35 PM

Broad Beans and Blackfly

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Diluted washing up liquid with a squirt of methylated spirit.

In both cases, you can spray the plants until they are soaked, and do
it several times a week with no major harm.

That's what I use and it works a treat on greenfly and whitefly too.

--
Brian

Broadback 27-05-2007 10:29 AM

Broad Beans and Blackfly

Will Wilkinson wrote:
In message , White Van Man
writes
Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to
reduce
the little buggers?

Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

I use a 10% solution of Ecover washing up liquid - works a treat and is
plant based so pretty much an organic solution ;-)

Will

On the basis that prevention is better than cure I always remove the
tops of broad beans, this seems to stop blackfly. I then eat them, no,
no I mean the broad bean tops! ;-)

Alan McKenzie 28-05-2007 08:25 AM

Broad Beans and Blackfly

I,ve seen that advice about removing the tops to prevent black fly - but
when and how do you do it please?
many thanks in advance.

Alan north of Portsmouth
"Broadback" wrote in message
Will Wilkinson wrote:
In message , White Van Man
writes

K 28-05-2007 10:18 AM

Broad Beans and Blackfly

Alan McKenzie writes
I,ve seen that advice about removing the tops to prevent black fly - but
when and how do you do it please?
many thanks in advance.

When the beans are about the height they say on the packet, or when they
have a reasonable number of clusters of flowers or leave it till you see
the first one or two blackfly.

Just snap off the top 3 or 4 inches with your fingers.

Alan north of Portsmouth
"Broadback" wrote in message
Will Wilkinson wrote:
In message , White Van Man
writes
Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to
reduce
the little buggers?

Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

I use a 10% solution of Ecover washing up liquid - works a treat and is
plant based so pretty much an organic solution ;-)

Will

On the basis that prevention is better than cure I always remove the tops
of broad beans, this seems to stop blackfly. I then eat them, no, no I
mean the broad bean tops! ;-)

--
Kay