Old 26-05-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Broad Beans and Blackfly

Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to reduce
the little buggers?

Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

Old 26-05-2007, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"White Van Man" writes:

| Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to reduce
| the little buggers?
|
| Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

Horticultural liquid soap (e.g. Savona), available from Green Gardener,
Tuckers etc.

Diluted washing up liquid with a squirt of methylated spirit.

In both cases, you can spray the plants until they are soaked, and do
it several times a week with no major harm.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-05-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"White Van Man" writes:

| Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to
reduce
| the little buggers?
|
| Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

Horticultural liquid soap (e.g. Savona), available from Green Gardener,
Tuckers etc.

Diluted washing up liquid with a squirt of methylated spirit.

In both cases, you can spray the plants until they are soaked, and do
it several times a week with no major harm.

Blimey....quick response Nick..I'll try that many thanks...

Old 26-05-2007, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , White Van Man
writes
Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to reduce
the little buggers?

Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

I use a 10% solution of Ecover washing up liquid - works a treat and is
plant based so pretty much an organic solution ;-)

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net
Old 26-05-2007, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Diluted washing up liquid with a squirt of methylated spirit.

In both cases, you can spray the plants until they are soaked, and do
it several times a week with no major harm.

That's what I use and it works a treat on greenfly and whitefly too.

--
Brian

Old 27-05-2007, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Will Wilkinson wrote:
In message , White Van Man
writes
Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to
reduce
the little buggers?

Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

I use a 10% solution of Ecover washing up liquid - works a treat and is
plant based so pretty much an organic solution ;-)

Will

On the basis that prevention is better than cure I always remove the
tops of broad beans, this seems to stop blackfly. I then eat them, no,
no I mean the broad bean tops! ;-)
Old 28-05-2007, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I,ve seen that advice about removing the tops to prevent black fly - but
when and how do you do it please?
many thanks in advance.

Alan north of Portsmouth
"Broadback" wrote in message
Will Wilkinson wrote:
In message , White Van Man
writes

Old 28-05-2007, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan McKenzie writes
I,ve seen that advice about removing the tops to prevent black fly - but
when and how do you do it please?
many thanks in advance.

When the beans are about the height they say on the packet, or when they
have a reasonable number of clusters of flowers or leave it till you see
the first one or two blackfly.

Just snap off the top 3 or 4 inches with your fingers.

Alan north of Portsmouth
"Broadback" wrote in message
Will Wilkinson wrote:
In message , White Van Man
writes
Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to
reduce
the little buggers?

Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

I use a 10% solution of Ecover washing up liquid - works a treat and is
plant based so pretty much an organic solution ;-)

Will

On the basis that prevention is better than cure I always remove the tops
of broad beans, this seems to stop blackfly. I then eat them, no, no I
mean the broad bean tops! ;-)

--
Kay