GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomatoes - pollination (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159308-tomatoes-pollination.html)

judith[_2_] 29-05-2007 12:43 PM

tomatoes - pollination

is it worth helping them with say a small paint brush?

Geoff[_6_] 29-05-2007 01:46 PM

tomatoes - pollination

"judith" wrote in message
is it worth helping them with say a small paint brush?

I use a rabbit's tail - remove the rabbit first of course!!

Geoff

Emrys Davies 29-05-2007 03:38 PM

tomatoes - pollination

"Geoff" wrote in message

"judith" wrote in message
is it worth helping them with say a small paint brush?

I use a rabbit's tail - remove the rabbit first of course!!

Geoff

The most effective way I found was to trap some teased out cotton wool
in a split at the end of a thin cane and dab the open flowers with it.
The wool will gradually become yellow and this is an indication that the
pollen is being transferred satisfactorily.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ 29-05-2007 04:20 PM

tomatoes - pollination

On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:46:59 GMT, "Geoff" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

"judith" wrote in message
.. .
is it worth helping them with say a small paint brush?

I use a rabbit's tail - remove the rabbit first of course!!

I've grown tomatoes for years to my total satisfaction (mostly
greenhouse) and I have never, never, interfered with or assisted their
sex-life. At most I've given the cane a little tap occasionally to
jog the flowers.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
0

Kate Morgan 29-05-2007 05:51 PM

tomatoes - pollination

I've grown tomatoes for years to my total satisfaction (mostly
greenhouse) and I have never, never, interfered with or assisted their
sex-life. At most I've given the cane a little tap occasionally to
jog the flowers.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

I am glad that someone has said that,I have never done anything to aid
pollination either, maybe I have just been lucky :-)

Alan Holmes[_2_] 29-05-2007 06:35 PM

tomatoes - pollination

"judith" wrote in message
is it worth helping them with say a small paint brush?

I use a small watercolour paint brush. it has been very successful all the
time I have used it.

Please use a different 'email' address as a lot of use have
in our killfiles!

Alan Holmes[_2_] 29-05-2007 06:36 PM

tomatoes - pollination

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

I've grown tomatoes for years to my total satisfaction (mostly
greenhouse) and I have never, never, interfered with or assisted their
sex-life. At most I've given the cane a little tap occasionally to
jog the flowers.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

I am glad that someone has said that,I have never done anything to aid
pollination either, maybe I have just been lucky :-)

I like to be absolutely certain!(:-)

Jim Jackson 30-05-2007 12:36 PM

tomatoes - pollination

http://pollinator.com/self_pollinating_tomato.htm