Old 29-05-2007, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tomatoes - pollination

is it worth helping them with say a small paint brush?
Old 29-05-2007, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith" wrote in message
is it worth helping them with say a small paint brush?

I use a rabbit's tail - remove the rabbit first of course!!

Geoff

Old 29-05-2007, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Geoff" wrote in message

"judith" wrote in message
is it worth helping them with say a small paint brush?

I use a rabbit's tail - remove the rabbit first of course!!

Geoff

The most effective way I found was to trap some teased out cotton wool
in a split at the end of a thin cane and dab the open flowers with it.
The wool will gradually become yellow and this is an indication that the
pollen is being transferred satisfactorily.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 29-05-2007, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:46:59 GMT, "Geoff" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

"judith" wrote in message
.. .
is it worth helping them with say a small paint brush?

I use a rabbit's tail - remove the rabbit first of course!!

I've grown tomatoes for years to my total satisfaction (mostly
greenhouse) and I have never, never, interfered with or assisted their
sex-life. At most I've given the cane a little tap occasionally to
jog the flowers.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
0
Old 29-05-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've grown tomatoes for years to my total satisfaction (mostly
greenhouse) and I have never, never, interfered with or assisted their
sex-life. At most I've given the cane a little tap occasionally to
jog the flowers.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

I am glad that someone has said that,I have never done anything to aid
pollination either, maybe I have just been lucky :-)

Old 29-05-2007, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith" wrote in message
is it worth helping them with say a small paint brush?

I use a small watercolour paint brush. it has been very successful all the
time I have used it.

Please use a different 'email' address as a lot of use have
in our killfiles!

Old 29-05-2007, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

I've grown tomatoes for years to my total satisfaction (mostly
greenhouse) and I have never, never, interfered with or assisted their
sex-life. At most I've given the cane a little tap occasionally to
jog the flowers.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

I am glad that someone has said that,I have never done anything to aid
pollination either, maybe I have just been lucky :-)

I like to be absolutely certain!(:-)

Old 30-05-2007, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://pollinator.com/self_pollinating_tomato.htm

http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/vege016/vege016.htm