Old 30-05-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Centaurea

Beside calling this flower Centaurea (which I've always done or called
it Bleuet des champs) what do you call it?

http://cjoint.com/?fEs6lCTAwA

Old 30-05-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

* La Puce wrote, On 30/05/2007 18:02:
Beside calling this flower Centaurea (which I've always done or called
it Bleuet des champs) what do you call it?

http://cjoint.com/?fEs6lCTAwA

I've always known it as Cornflower.

--
Cheers, Serena
If you are going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
Old 30-05-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 May, 18:29, Serena Blanchflower
wrote:
Beside calling this flower Centaurea (which I've always done or called
it Bleuet des champs) what do you call it?
http://cjoint.com/?fEs6lCTAwA

I've always known it as Cornflower.

You see I'm very confused. There's Cornflower known as centaurea
cyanus, which has closed petals (my wedding flower) and there's the
Common Knapweed called centaurea nigra. There's also the Centaurea
nemoralis which almost look like a dandelions's head but in blue. I'm
asking this because I've always had to argue about the cornflower
known as centaurea cyanus and the C. nigra being the one being
confused with the former. God, I hope it makes sense. Different name
for different places I suppose. Now what would you call this:

http://cjoint.com/?fEuQMkTSxi

Old 30-05-2007, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

oups.com...
wrote:
Beside calling this flower Centaurea (which I've always done or called
it Bleuet des champs) what do you call it?
http://cjoint.com/?fEs6lCTAwA

I've always known it as Cornflower.

You see I'm very confused. There's Cornflower known as centaurea
cyanus, which has closed petals (my wedding flower) and there's the
Common Knapweed called centaurea nigra. There's also the Centaurea
nemoralis which almost look like a dandelions's head but in blue. I'm
asking this because I've always had to argue about the cornflower
known as centaurea cyanus and the C. nigra being the one being
confused with the former. God, I hope it makes sense. Different name
for different places I suppose. Now what would you call this:

http://cjoint.com/?fEuQMkTSxi

The first I would call perennial cornflower and the second a knapweed, but
it illustrates the short comings of "Common" names

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-05-2007, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie Pridham
writes

roups.com...
wrote:
[...]

For French and English names of various species of Centaurea see

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurea
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 31-05-2007, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 May, 20:36, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
The first I would call perennial cornflower and the second a knapweed, but
it illustrates the short comings of "Common" names

Thanks Charlie. I was making sure I wasn't making a mistake. It is so
easy to call all centaurea 'cornflowers'. The chap I was talking to
about this is not yet on line. Lets see what he says when he is ;o)

Old 31-05-2007, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Beside calling this flower Centaurea (which I've always done or called
it Bleuet des champs) what do you call it?
http://cjoint.com/?fEs6lCTAwA

I've always known it as Cornflower.

You see I'm very confused. There's Cornflower known as centaurea
cyanus, which has closed petals (my wedding flower) and there's the
Common Knapweed called centaurea nigra. There's also the Centaurea
nemoralis which almost look like a dandelions's head but in blue. I'm
asking this because I've always had to argue about the cornflower
known as centaurea cyanus and the C. nigra being the one being
confused with the former. God, I hope it makes sense. Different name
for different places I suppose. Now what would you call this:

http://cjoint.com/?fEuQMkTSxi

More often than not, I've also heard that one called cornflower but
also knapweed. If it was important to make it clear which one I
meant, I'd probably use its proper name.

--
Cheers, Serena
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Cornflower-6695 (Centaurea cyanus) BarbaraH[_2_] Garden Photos 1 08-11-2014 12:38 PM
Centaurea montana Willi Garden Photos 5 06-08-2013 08:38 PM
centaurea americana in UK HaaRoy United Kingdom 1 11-01-2003 01:26 PM