Old 01-06-2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Red bell flowering tree ID please

I found this small tree/shrub next to my bramble tonight.

http://i15.tinypic.com/4r2vtcp.jpg

any ideas please. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john smile" wrote in message
ps.com...
I found this small tree/shrub next to my bramble tonight.

http://i15.tinypic.com/4r2vtcp.jpg

any ideas please. Thank you in advance.

Have a look at Phygelius?on Google images

Old 02-06-2007, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you but that wasn't it. It was more like a small tree. I will
try again tomorrow with more pictures.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

"john smile" wrote in message
ups.com...
I found this small tree/shrub next to my bramble tonight.

http://i15.tinypic.com/4r2vtcp.jpg

any ideas please. Thank you in advance.

Have a look at Phygelius?on Google images

It's not Phygelius. I've got photographs of both species, and they don'
match. (Different shape of leaves, different number of calyx lobes,
etc.)

If I'm interpreting the photograph correctly it's choripetalous (unfused
petals), with the petals inserted on an hypanthium, rather than directly
on the floral axis. 5 stamens, 1 style.

I'm baffled as to what it actually is.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-06-2007, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, john
smile writes
Thank you but that wasn't it. It was more like a small tree. I will
try again tomorrow with more pictures.

I'm baffled.

What's the scale of the flowers and leaves?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, john
smile writes
Thank you but that wasn't it. It was more like a small tree. I will
try again tomorrow with more pictures.

I'm baffled.

What's the scale of the flowers and leaves?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I think its escallonia

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 02-06-2007, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Charlie Pridham wrote:

I think its escallonia

Yes it is. It looks very much like the variety 'Donard Radiance',
provided the colour in the pic is reasonably true.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for all the replies of the above flower. I am pretty sure it
is a type of Abelia. The one in my book was white but mine was very
pink hence i missed it.

thank you.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Jun 2, 11:02 pm, john smile wrote:
Thank you for all the replies of the above flower. I am pretty sure it
is a type of Abelia. The one in my book was white but mine was very
pink hence i missed it.

John, it is most definitely not an Abelia and most definitely is a
hybrid Escallonia. Abelias are related to the honeysuckles and share
the familial trait of having tubular or funnel-shaped flowers with
inequal length petals united at their bases and for part of their
length at least. In Abelia, the arrangement is such that there are
two slightly shorter upper and three slightly longer lower petals,
united into a tube for approximately 3/4 of their length with only the
free tips flaring. In Escallonia there is one upper petal, two upper
laterals and two lower laterals. They are not united and open more or
less flat. There is no true similarity in the foliage either apart
from both having glossy leaves, but the flowers alone are enough to
ensure identity. Your picture is that of an Escallonia.