GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Edging a path (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159612-edging-path.html)

Broadback 05-06-2007 12:28 PM

Edging a path

I would like to create quite a long gravel path in grass around circular
and oval beds. What would the team recommend to edge them with
economically?

Sacha 05-06-2007 06:07 PM

Edging a path

On 5/6/07 16:35, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from Broadback contains these words:

I would like to create quite a long gravel path in grass around circular
and oval beds. What would the team recommend to edge them with
economically?

I have several thousand old slates, with which I propose to edge beds,
but want to use them thus |||||| rather than _ _ _ _ _ thus, IYSWIM?
|_|_|_|_|_|

Isn't the edging - yours or Broadback's - going to make it more fiddly to
weed? Both the gravel and the beds, I mean. Anne, I've seen slates used as
you suggest but arranged more like overlapping teeth! It's very effective
as to appearance and a bit (tiny bit) more of a weed barrier.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 05-06-2007 11:42 PM

Edging a path

On 5/6/07 18:53, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from Sacha contains these
words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote:
The message from Broadback contains these words:

I would like to create quite a long gravel path in grass around circular
and oval beds. What would the team recommend to edge them with
economically?

I have several thousand old slates, with which I propose to edge beds,
but want to use them thus |||||| rather than _ _ _ _ _ thus, IYSWIM?
|_|_|_|_|_|

Isn't the edging - yours or Broadback's - going to make it more fiddly to
weed? Both the gravel and the beds, I mean. Anne, I've seen slates used as
you suggest but arranged more like overlapping teeth! It's very effective
as to appearance and a bit (tiny bit) more of a weed barrier.

I won't care, Sacha, 'cos by the time the weeds have grown I'll have made
a fortune, and I'll pay someone else to do the weeding... BG

Tsk......sometimes it's like pulling teeth.........

Rob Hamadi 06-06-2007 06:43 AM

Edging a path

On Jun 5, 12:28 pm, Broadback wrote:
I would like to create quite a long gravel path in grass around circular
and oval beds. What would the team recommend to edge them with
economically?

It's often worth looking out for manager's specials at the local
sheds. I laid a 100' path at the weekend, using buff flagstones.
Popped in to Homebase to pick up some timber for another job (as I
happened to be passing) and got a pallet of buff Bradstone walling
blocks, usually £150, for a tenner. Perfect match and just the right
amount to edge the path.
--
Rob

Sacha 06-06-2007 08:08 AM

Edging a path

On 6/6/07 00:37, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

snip

I won't care, Sacha, 'cos by the time the weeds have grown I'll have made
a fortune, and I'll pay someone else to do the weeding... BG

Tsk......sometimes it's like pulling teeth.........

That's the second post, where you've mentioned 'teeth'! Are you having
problems, or are you thinking of taking up dentistry? G

Yes, it's my subconscious at work. I have to make an appointment with the
dentist and I keep forgetting - which is undoubtedly more subconscious at
work! ;-)

Or are you hinting that I haven't yet told you about my newly acquired
companies?
I'll e-mail you the 'yet to be updated' webpages, if you'd like?
I would welcome your comments, but not on the webpages, as I said
they are to be updated; they're pretty dire at the moment...

I'd love to see them.

Pam Moore 06-06-2007 10:12 AM

Edging a path

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:35:19 +0100, Anne Jackson
wrote:

The message from Broadback contains these words:

I would like to create quite a long gravel path in grass around circular
and oval beds. What would the team recommend to edge them with
economically?

I have several thousand old slates, with which I propose to edge beds,
but want to use them thus |||||| rather than _ _ _ _ _ thus, IYSWIM?
|_|_|_|_|_|

I saw a novel idea at a Yellow Book garden at the weekend. A narrow
raised bed containing a row of strawberry plants had been edged with
green wine bottles. (green bottles, not green wine!) The bottles were
pushed, neck down, to about 1/3 of their height, in rows either side.
Ok for something not too permanent. Unfortunately several of the
bottles had weeds growing in them. I guess corking the bottles would
have stopped that.

Pam in Bristol

JennyC 06-06-2007 06:23 PM

Edging a path

wrote:
[...]

I can second that :~) We saw bottles being used in as edging in out local
Arboretum. We have used them all round our front garden. They were placed
there at least 10 years ago and I've only ever had one break, and that was
mine own fault for trying to get a big plant out and forcing my trowel to
hard! Picture at http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenfront.htm (bottom of
the page)

Some more people had the same idea:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenfront.htm (looks better if you soak of
the labels first...)

Jenny

Broadback 07-06-2007 01:09 PM

Edging a path

Rob Hamadi wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:28 pm, Broadback wrote:
I would like to create quite a long gravel path in grass around circular
and oval beds. What would the team recommend to edge them with
economically?

It's often worth looking out for manager's specials at the local
sheds. I laid a 100' path at the weekend, using buff flagstones.
Popped in to Homebase to pick up some timber for another job (as I
happened to be passing) and got a pallet of buff Bradstone walling
blocks, usually £150, for a tenner. Perfect match and just the right
amount to edge the path.
--
Rob

Some people get all the luck! memo to self: Must keep eyes open.

Rob Hamadi 08-06-2007 09:21 AM

Edging a path

On Jun 7, 1:09 pm, Broadback wrote:

Some people get all the luck! memo to self: Must keep eyes open.

Ah, but Karma was restored when I whacked my finger with a mallet! ;-)
--
Rob