Old 05-06-2007, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Edging a path

I would like to create quite a long gravel path in grass around circular
and oval beds. What would the team recommend to edge them with
economically?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 5, 12:28 pm, Broadback wrote:
I would like to create quite a long gravel path in grass around circular
and oval beds. What would the team recommend to edge them with
economically?

It's often worth looking out for manager's specials at the local
sheds. I laid a 100' path at the weekend, using buff flagstones.
Popped in to Homebase to pick up some timber for another job (as I
happened to be passing) and got a pallet of buff Bradstone walling
blocks, usually £150, for a tenner. Perfect match and just the right
amount to edge the path.
--
Rob

Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:35:19 +0100, Anne Jackson
wrote:

The message from Broadback contains these words:

I would like to create quite a long gravel path in grass around circular
and oval beds. What would the team recommend to edge them with
economically?

I have several thousand old slates, with which I propose to edge beds,
but want to use them thus |||||| rather than _ _ _ _ _ thus, IYSWIM?
|_|_|_|_|_|

I saw a novel idea at a Yellow Book garden at the weekend. A narrow
raised bed containing a row of strawberry plants had been edged with
green wine bottles. (green bottles, not green wine!) The bottles were
pushed, neck down, to about 1/3 of their height, in rows either side.
Ok for something not too permanent. Unfortunately several of the
bottles had weeds growing in them. I guess corking the bottles would
have stopped that.

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-06-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

I can second that :~) We saw bottles being used in as edging in out local
Arboretum. We have used them all round our front garden. They were placed
there at least 10 years ago and I've only ever had one break, and that was
mine own fault for trying to get a big plant out and forcing my trowel to
hard! Picture at http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenfront.htm (bottom of
the page)

Some more people had the same idea:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenfront.htm (looks better if you soak of
the labels first...)

Jenny

Old 07-06-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob Hamadi wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:28 pm, Broadback wrote:
I would like to create quite a long gravel path in grass around circular
and oval beds. What would the team recommend to edge them with
economically?

It's often worth looking out for manager's specials at the local
sheds. I laid a 100' path at the weekend, using buff flagstones.
Popped in to Homebase to pick up some timber for another job (as I
happened to be passing) and got a pallet of buff Bradstone walling
blocks, usually £150, for a tenner. Perfect match and just the right
amount to edge the path.
--
Rob

Some people get all the luck! memo to self: Must keep eyes open.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 7, 1:09 pm, Broadback wrote:

Some people get all the luck! memo to self: Must keep eyes open.

Ah, but Karma was restored when I whacked my finger with a mallet! ;-)
--
Rob

Path Edging Ed Gardening 15 13-02-2009 06:20 PM
Path Edging Bob Hobden Edible Gardening 0 13-02-2009 06:20 PM
Path Edging Bob Hobden United Kingdom 0 13-02-2009 06:20 PM
Path Edging Ed Edible Gardening 5 11-02-2009 10:12 PM
Path Edging Ed United Kingdom 5 11-02-2009 10:12 PM