GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cleaning old flagstones (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159613-cleaning-old-flagstones.html)

Barb[_2_] 05-06-2007 12:54 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

Hi, I have a garden which consists of beds, flagstones (the red brick design
and the conventional ones) and paths, having been a showhouse a few years
ago.

The flagstones are now very grimy and discoloured and look about fifty years
old and very dowdy! I have cleaned them a couple of times since I moved in
with conventional patio cleaner, which helped a bit, but it now seems a bit
beyond that - possibly partly because patio cleaners from the garden centre
seem to be fairly innocuous because of polution etc (?).

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Barb

Nick Maclaren 05-06-2007 01:13 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

In article ,
"Barb" writes:

| I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
| good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
| they're expensive for just occasional use.
|
| Does anyone have any ideas?

A stiff garden broom, a handful of sharp sand, and some water with
washing up liquid in it. And some elbow grease.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

adder1969 05-06-2007 02:05 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

On Jun 5, 12:54 pm, "Barb" wrote:
Hi, I have a garden which consists of beds, flagstones (the red brick design
and the conventional ones) and paths, having been a showhouse a few years
ago.

The flagstones are now very grimy and discoloured and look about fifty years
old and very dowdy! I have cleaned them a couple of times since I moved in
with conventional patio cleaner, which helped a bit, but it now seems a bit
beyond that - possibly partly because patio cleaners from the garden centre
seem to be fairly innocuous because of polution etc (?).

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

You can get them for less than 30 pounds which doesn't seem all that
expensive to me.

Broadback 05-06-2007 02:11 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

adder1969 wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:54 pm, "Barb" wrote:
Hi, I have a garden which consists of beds, flagstones (the red brick design
and the conventional ones) and paths, having been a showhouse a few years
ago.

The flagstones are now very grimy and discoloured and look about fifty years
old and very dowdy! I have cleaned them a couple of times since I moved in
with conventional patio cleaner, which helped a bit, but it now seems a bit
beyond that - possibly partly because patio cleaners from the garden centre
seem to be fairly innocuous because of polution etc (?).

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

You can get them for less than 30 pounds which doesn't seem all that
expensive to me.

There's me spraying mine with liquid manure to age them! Takes all
sorts, see "when garden style collide thread.

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ 05-06-2007 03:00 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:54:26 +0100, "Barb"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

The flagstones are now very grimy and discoloured and look about fifty years
old and very dowdy! I have cleaned them a couple of times since I moved in
with conventional patio cleaner, which helped a bit, but it now seems a bit
beyond that - possibly partly because patio cleaners from the garden centre
seem to be fairly innocuous because of polution etc (?).

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Borrow the pressure jet again.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Sacha 05-06-2007 03:07 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

On 5/6/07 12:54, in article ,
"Barb" wrote:

Hi, I have a garden which consists of beds, flagstones (the red brick design
and the conventional ones) and paths, having been a showhouse a few years
ago.

The flagstones are now very grimy and discoloured and look about fifty years
old and very dowdy! I have cleaned them a couple of times since I moved in
with conventional patio cleaner, which helped a bit, but it now seems a bit
beyond that - possibly partly because patio cleaners from the garden centre
seem to be fairly innocuous because of polution etc (?).

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Personally, I like stone when it ages and in your shoes would probably throw
yoghurt on it to encourage mosses and lichen to grow! But most towns have a
hire shop where you could hire a pressure washer once every couple of years.
If it's a real bother to you, could you replace it with gravel, leaving just
enough flags to make a level surface for table and chairs?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Kate Morgan 05-06-2007 03:47 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was
quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Borrow the pressure jet again.

We invested in one and use it often, worth its weight in gold

kate

adder1969 05-06-2007 04:01 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

On Jun 5, 3:47 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was
quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Borrow the pressure jet again.

We invested in one and use it often, worth its weight in gold

kate

Not quite sure about that ;-)

Kate Morgan 05-06-2007 04:53 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

Borrow the pressure jet again.

We invested in one and use it often, worth its weight in gold

kate

Not quite sure about that ;-)

Fair comment, I just like playing with it :-))

Barb[_2_] 05-06-2007 05:05 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

Thanks for all the replies, folks, and so quickly!

I didn't realise reasonable washers were so cheap - I might go that route.
I'll try the sand, scrubbing and detergent idea first - I'm retired and I've
got the time, and could use the exercise!

I know in a lot of cases a brand new look is not good for many houses. But
mine is a little modern, boring end-terrace and it just looks tatty now.
The house I lived in 15 years ago - as Broadback and Sacha, I'd have wanted
to age them!

Thnx again.

Barb

CWatters 05-06-2007 09:08 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

"Barb" wrote in message
I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was

quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Rent one?

http://www.hss.com/index.php?s=pressure+washer

adder1969 06-06-2007 01:45 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

On Jun 5, 5:05 pm, "Barb" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, folks, and so quickly!

I didn't realise reasonable washers were so cheap - I might go that route.
I'll try the sand, scrubbing and detergent idea first - I'm retired and I've
got the time, and could use the exercise!

If you're anything like me you'll quickly think stuff this and head of
down the shops.

Barb[_2_] 06-06-2007 02:36 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

Yep, you're probably right. But I'll give it a go anyway - it's lovely
weather, and I'll put the old earphones on with an audiobook or something

Barb

"adder1969" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nick Maclaren 06-06-2007 02:49 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

In article ,
"Barb" writes:
| Yep, you're probably right. But I'll give it a go anyway - it's lovely
| weather, and I'll put the old earphones on with an audiobook or something

Do that. It's the youngsters that are such wimps! :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Barb[_2_] 06-06-2007 03:32 PM

Cleaning old flagstones

Yes, I'm a tough old bird anyway .....main reason I'm gonna try it the hard
way is because I'm retired, mean and don't want to spend any more money than
I have to!!! I even have a bit of sharp sand in the garage somewhere among
the spiders!

When my back aches and I have blisters I may, of course, decide that
discretion is the better part of valour ....

Barb