Old 05-06-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cleaning old flagstones

Hi, I have a garden which consists of beds, flagstones (the red brick design
and the conventional ones) and paths, having been a showhouse a few years
ago.

The flagstones are now very grimy and discoloured and look about fifty years
old and very dowdy! I have cleaned them a couple of times since I moved in
with conventional patio cleaner, which helped a bit, but it now seems a bit
beyond that - possibly partly because patio cleaners from the garden centre
seem to be fairly innocuous because of polution etc (?).

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Barb

Old 05-06-2007, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Barb" writes:

| I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
| good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
| they're expensive for just occasional use.
|
| Does anyone have any ideas?

A stiff garden broom, a handful of sharp sand, and some water with
washing up liquid in it. And some elbow grease.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 5, 12:54 pm, "Barb" wrote:
Hi, I have a garden which consists of beds, flagstones (the red brick design
and the conventional ones) and paths, having been a showhouse a few years
ago.

The flagstones are now very grimy and discoloured and look about fifty years
old and very dowdy! I have cleaned them a couple of times since I moved in
with conventional patio cleaner, which helped a bit, but it now seems a bit
beyond that - possibly partly because patio cleaners from the garden centre
seem to be fairly innocuous because of polution etc (?).

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

You can get them for less than 30 pounds which doesn't seem all that
expensive to me.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

adder1969 wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:54 pm, "Barb" wrote:
Hi, I have a garden which consists of beds, flagstones (the red brick design
and the conventional ones) and paths, having been a showhouse a few years
ago.

The flagstones are now very grimy and discoloured and look about fifty years
old and very dowdy! I have cleaned them a couple of times since I moved in
with conventional patio cleaner, which helped a bit, but it now seems a bit
beyond that - possibly partly because patio cleaners from the garden centre
seem to be fairly innocuous because of polution etc (?).

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

You can get them for less than 30 pounds which doesn't seem all that
expensive to me.

There's me spraying mine with liquid manure to age them! Takes all
sorts, see "when garden style collide thread.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:54:26 +0100, "Barb"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

The flagstones are now very grimy and discoloured and look about fifty years
old and very dowdy! I have cleaned them a couple of times since I moved in
with conventional patio cleaner, which helped a bit, but it now seems a bit
beyond that - possibly partly because patio cleaners from the garden centre
seem to be fairly innocuous because of polution etc (?).

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Borrow the pressure jet again.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Old 05-06-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was
quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Borrow the pressure jet again.

We invested in one and use it often, worth its weight in gold

kate

Old 05-06-2007, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 5, 3:47 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was
quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Borrow the pressure jet again.

We invested in one and use it often, worth its weight in gold

kate

Not quite sure about that ;-)

Old 05-06-2007, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Borrow the pressure jet again.

We invested in one and use it often, worth its weight in gold

kate

Not quite sure about that ;-)

Fair comment, I just like playing with it :-))
Old 05-06-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for all the replies, folks, and so quickly!

I didn't realise reasonable washers were so cheap - I might go that route.
I'll try the sand, scrubbing and detergent idea first - I'm retired and I've
got the time, and could use the exercise!

I know in a lot of cases a brand new look is not good for many houses. But
mine is a little modern, boring end-terrace and it just looks tatty now.
The house I lived in 15 years ago - as Broadback and Sacha, I'd have wanted
to age them!

Thnx again.

Barb

Old 05-06-2007, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote in message
I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was

quite
good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to 'cos
they're expensive for just occasional use.

Rent one?

http://www.hss.com/index.php?s=pressure+washer

Old 06-06-2007, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 5, 5:05 pm, "Barb" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, folks, and so quickly!

I didn't realise reasonable washers were so cheap - I might go that route.
I'll try the sand, scrubbing and detergent idea first - I'm retired and I've
got the time, and could use the exercise!

If you're anything like me you'll quickly think stuff this and head of
down the shops.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Barb" writes:
| Yep, you're probably right. But I'll give it a go anyway - it's lovely
| weather, and I'll put the old earphones on with an audiobook or something

Do that. It's the youngsters that are such wimps! :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, I'm a tough old bird anyway .....main reason I'm gonna try it the hard
way is because I'm retired, mean and don't want to spend any more money than
I have to!!! I even have a bit of sharp sand in the garage somewhere among
the spiders!

When my back aches and I have blisters I may, of course, decide that
discretion is the better part of valour ....

Barb