Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is This a Weed?

Hi,

can anybody tell me what this is please. It pops through the fence from
my neighbour's garden every year and I'm not sure whether to encourage
it or not.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...edornot_11.jpg

Thaks

Steve
Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Steve
writes
Hi,

can anybody tell me what this is please. It pops through the fence
from my neighbour's garden every year and I'm not sure whether to
encourage it or not.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...edornot_11.jpg

Thaks

Steve

Centranthus ruber (Red Valerian), a garden plant often naturalised,
especially, I think, in coastal areas.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-06-2007, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think it is "valerian" do a google on the word

David

Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Steve
writes
Hi,

can anybody tell me what this is please. It pops through the fence
from my neighbour's garden every year and I'm not sure whether to
encourage it or not.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...edornot_11.jpg

Looks very much like Centranthus ruber - Red valarian
http://www.botanicalkeys.co.uk/flora...ecies.asp?1323

--
Robert
Old 09-06-2007, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Steve
writes
Hi,

can anybody tell me what this is please. It pops through the fence from
my neighbour's garden every year and I'm not sure whether to encourage it
or not.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...edornot_11.jpg

Thaks

Steve

Centranthus ruber (Red Valerian), a garden plant often naturalised,
especially, I think, in coastal areas.
--

Here in Dublin it grows freely as a (non0native) weed and is quite showy in
some spots. There are 3 colour forms (red, white and pink) and you usualy

Des in HOT HOT HOT Dublin.

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 09-06-2007, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote:
Centranthus ruber (Red Valerian), a garden plant often naturalised,
especially, I think, in coastal areas.

---
Don't we have the Romans to thank for bringing it in originally? We have
loads of it, both red and white, flowering around Peterborough and near-
by villages. Makes a nice change from field upon field of oil seed rape
flowers from which there is no escape.

MikeCT

Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/6/07 09:36, in article ,
"Steve" wrote:

Hi,

can anybody tell me what this is please. It pops through the fence from
my neighbour's garden every year and I'm not sure whether to encourage
it or not.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...edornot_11.jpg

Thaks

Steve

It's Valerian, which grows in great masses in all the walls around here
except ours! We'd love to have it because butterflies love it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 Jun, 17:58, Sacha wrote:
On 9/6/07 09:36, in article ,

"Steve" wrote:
Hi,

can anybody tell me what this is please. It pops through the fence from
my neighbour's garden every year and I'm not sure whether to encourage
it or not.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...edornot_11.jpg

Thaks

Steve

It's Valerian, which grows in great masses in all the walls around here
except ours! We'd love to have it because butterflies love it.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)

A weed is any plant growing where you don't want it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Certainly is Valerian, we have masses of it, red pink and white and it is
beautiful, all over the front of the house, I love it

kate

A weed is any plant growing where you don't want it. Quite right David