Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Death of tree?

My son has just phoned me concerned that a tree in a public space
outside his flat in London has been vandalised. The bark has been
stripped from just above the ground to about five feet up. The trunk is
about 8" in diameter and the tree is about ten feet tall. He's not sure
of the species but is going to try to identify it tonight.

He was asking me whether this definitely means the death of the tree. I
know that with younger trees complete ringing is supposed to be fatal
but wasn't completely sure whether it's so with older trees. I also
found I wasn't sure exactly why removal of the bark is so harmful to the
tree or whether anything can be done to save it.

Any information or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Janet G
Old 12-06-2007, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
My son has just phoned me concerned that a tree in a public space
outside his flat in London has been vandalised. The bark has been
stripped from just above the ground to about five feet up. The trunk is
about 8" in diameter and the tree is about ten feet tall. He's not sure
of the species but is going to try to identify it tonight.

He was asking me whether this definitely means the death of the tree. I
know that with younger trees complete ringing is supposed to be fatal
but wasn't completely sure whether it's so with older trees. I also
found I wasn't sure exactly why removal of the bark is so harmful to the
tree or whether anything can be done to save it.

Any information or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Janet G

It usually does, depending on the depth of the wound.

The reason is that the phloem is immediately under the bark, and the food
from the leaves can't reach the roots, so the roots die and stop
transferring water up to the top of the tree.

John

Old 12-06-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John E wrote:
[...]

I suggest that he contact the council concerned, they will have tree
experts, and if it is possible to be saved then they will do so, or
maybe replant. Sad to say it is often used way of getting rid of them by
people who live near and don't want the tree there. :-(
Old 12-06-2007, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
John E wrote:
[...]

Good point. Thanks.

John.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John E" wrote in message
"Broadback" wrote in message
John E wrote:
[...]

That's so true :-(

But if a tree is killed it should be replaced.

Mary