Old 14-06-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Garden Hymn to a Bright Fuchsia

Found this when browsing, and the only name associated with it is that
of Ted Killick:- dont know if he wrote it or had found it, but thought
it worth passing on.

Garden Hymn to a Bright Fuchsia

All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful, The Lord God made them all.
But things they never mention, though gardeners know its true
Is when He made the goodies, He made the baddies too.
All things spray and swattable, disasters great and small,
All things paraquattable, the Lord God made them all.
The greenfly on the roses, the clubroot on the greens,
The slugs that eat the lettuce, and chew the aubergines.
The drought that kills the fuchsias the frost that nips the buds
The rain that drowns the seedlings, the blight that hits the spuds.
The midges and mosquitoes, the nettles and the weeds,
The pigeons in the green stuff, the sparrows on the seeds.
The flies that get the carrots, the wasp that eats the plums,
How black the gardeners outlook, though green may be his thumbs.
But still we gardeners labour, midst vegetables and flowers,
And pray what hits our neighbours, may somehow bypass ours.

Old 14-06-2007, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:

All things spray and swattable, disasters great and small,
All things paraquattable, the Lord God made them all.

It was my grandmother's favorite hymn, and now whenever I here it or see
the TV series, I think of the Monty Python parody. "All things foul and
horrible..."

Your post is less nasty and more gardening apropos.