GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When is it too late to sow seeds outside? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160170-when-too-late-sow-seeds-outside.html)

[email protected] 15-06-2007 08:58 PM

When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening. I
want to sow some seeds outside: squash, french beans, peas, broccoli
and courgette. On the back of the packets it tells me that I can sow
them directly into the ground in June at the latest but I still need
to get my plot sorted out (dig it and add compost). It's raining cats
and dogs and I've heard it's not good for the soil to dig/cultivate it
when it's wet. So should I wait, plant the seeds in some pots to get
them going or get my act together and get the plot sorted asap?

David \(Normandy\) 15-06-2007 09:09 PM

When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening. I
want to sow some seeds outside: squash, french beans, peas, broccoli
and courgette. On the back of the packets it tells me that I can sow
them directly into the ground in June at the latest but I still need
to get my plot sorted out (dig it and add compost). It's raining cats
and dogs and I've heard it's not good for the soil to dig/cultivate it
when it's wet. So should I wait, plant the seeds in some pots to get
them going or get my act together and get the plot sorted asap?

If I were you I'd get them going in seed trays / small pots in some seed
compost on a window sill or two and wait until the ground is dry enough to
work or you will just create a sludgy mess.

David.

K 15-06-2007 09:32 PM

When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

writes
I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening. I
want to sow some seeds outside: squash, french beans, peas, broccoli
and courgette. On the back of the packets it tells me that I can sow
them directly into the ground in June at the latest but I still need
to get my plot sorted out (dig it and add compost). It's raining cats
and dogs and I've heard it's not good for the soil to dig/cultivate it
when it's wet. So should I wait, plant the seeds in some pots to get
them going or get my act together and get the plot sorted asap?

Get them going in pots. If you sow them too late, you will run out of
growing season.
--
Kay

Baal 15-06-2007 09:45 PM

When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

Now is fine. All mine are in (and have been for weeks) but you will be
limited in later months by not having a temperature high enough for
germination.

Start them off under glass now or direct into soil.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
ups.com...

steve auvache 16-06-2007 12:53 AM

When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

In article . com,
writes
I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening.

Welcome to the Tastier Side.

I've heard it's not good for the soil to dig/cultivate it
when it's wet.

This is not an ideal world and yours is a new plot and there isn't much
you can do about the timing so get digging.

So should I wait, plant the seeds in some pots to get
them going or get my act together and get the plot sorted asap?

No, yes, yes and yes.

It will take a week or four before the seeds sown in pots will need to
be put in the ground so you might as well use this time preparing the
ground as best you can.

If you are able, sow the peas directly into the ground rather than pots
as this is A Good Thing. They have deep roots and aren't that fond of
the shallowness of a pot.

Good luck with it.

--
steve auvache
Sunny Essex

Bazza 16-06-2007 08:43 AM

When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

steve auvache wrote:
In article . com,
writes
I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening.

Welcome to the Tastier Side.

I've heard it's not good for the soil to dig/cultivate it
when it's wet.

This is not an ideal world and yours is a new plot and there isn't much
you can do about the timing so get digging.

So should I wait, plant the seeds in some pots to get
them going or get my act together and get the plot sorted asap?

No, yes, yes and yes.

It will take a week or four before the seeds sown in pots will need to
be put in the ground so you might as well use this time preparing the
ground as best you can.

If you are able, sow the peas directly into the ground rather than pots
as this is A Good Thing. They have deep roots and aren't that fond of
the shallowness of a pot.

Good luck with it.

I sow my peas in the greenhouse in old toilet roll tubes, this gives
enough depth to grow and brings them on quickly, as the roots start to
show at the base I transplant the whole lot without root disturbance.

Bazza

steve auvache 16-06-2007 02:16 PM

When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

In article , Bazza
writes
steve auvache wrote:
In article . com,
writes
I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening.

If you are able, sow the peas directly into the ground rather than pots
as this is A Good Thing. They have deep roots and aren't that fond of
the shallowness of a pot.

Good luck with it.

I sow my peas in the greenhouse in old toilet roll tubes, this gives
enough depth to grow and brings them on quickly, as the roots start to
show at the base I transplant the whole lot without root disturbance.

A variation on the 2 foot long tubes of rolled up newspaper my
Grandfather used to use to start his prize winning exhibition sweet
peas. Far too much messing around for my tastes but effective
certainly.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features

Bazza 16-06-2007 03:28 PM

When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

steve auvache wrote:
In article , Bazza
writes
steve auvache wrote:
In article . com,
writes
I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening.

If you are able, sow the peas directly into the ground rather than pots
as this is A Good Thing. They have deep roots and aren't that fond of
the shallowness of a pot.

Good luck with it.

I sow my peas in the greenhouse in old toilet roll tubes, this gives
enough depth to grow and brings them on quickly, as the roots start to
show at the base I transplant the whole lot without root disturbance.

A variation on the 2 foot long tubes of rolled up newspaper my
Grandfather used to use to start his prize winning exhibition sweet
peas. Far too much messing around for my tastes but effective
certainly.

Ah the memories, I used that method way back in the 60's when I was 15,
My grandfather showed me.
Don't buy newspapers nowadays, get all the info I need from the TV and
t'internet. Always plenty of bog and kitchen roll tubes in our house and
as we drink a lot of flavoured bottled water there is a plentiful supply
of bottles with the bottoms cut off to put over the seedlings and keep
the snails at bay until they get established

[email protected] 18-06-2007 04:31 PM

When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm waiting on a delivery of
compost but will get some stuff going in some pots in the meantime.