GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can someone tell me what tree this is? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160287-can-someone-tell-me-what-tree.html)

MrsDavis 18-06-2007 01:18 PM

Can someone tell me what tree this is?

can anyone tell me what tree this is at all please??
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/albu...hoto=100211117

MrsDavis 18-06-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsDavis (Post 722325)

Rachel Aitch 18-06-2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsDavis (Post 722326)

Looks like an Ash tree to me...... any chance of getting a closer photo of it, please?

Rachel

MrsDavis 18-06-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel Aitch (Post 722380)

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/albu...hoto=100219366 this is a small branch. thanks

Rachel Aitch 25-06-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsDavis (Post 722453)

Hi Mrs D, sorry about the delay, I don't log in every day, and I thought that someone more knowledgeable would have been along!

I'm not certain, but I still think it looks like Ash. Can you remember back a couple of months, before the leaves came out, if the buds were matt charcoal black, then it's definitely Ash.

If it appeared from nowhere, then it's probably Ash.

Are there any Ash trees near to your garden? It's sometimes a help to walk around your area looking at what's growing in the street and in the adjacent gardens, you can compare your leaves with what you can see nearby.

Hope this helps!

Rachel

AncientGardener 25-06-2007 11:53 AM

I would agree from the tree shape and the leaves that its an ash - a similar leafed tree is the Mountain Ash (or Rowan). The Mountain Ash is very similar when young but its generally finer in shape and the leaves are more serated around the edge. Here is a good site for recognition of native trees:

http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/bri...guide/home.htm

Click on Ash and Rowan to compare the two.