GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   flowers for a 2 year old... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160726-flowers-2-year-old.html)

dj[_2_] 25-06-2007 09:49 AM

flowers for a 2 year old...

My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

She also loves flowers. Picking them that is.

I thought the best plant for her would be something which grows fast,
and has lots of tiny flowers. Preferably in a pot.

Being a bit of a useless gardener, does anyone have a suggestion?

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel

Uncle Marvo 25-06-2007 09:51 AM

flowers for a 2 year old...

, I, Marvo, say :

My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

She also loves flowers. Picking them that is.

I thought the best plant for her would be something which grows fast,
and has lots of tiny flowers. Preferably in a pot.

Being a bit of a useless gardener, does anyone have a suggestion?

Mine grows sweet peas, she did them from seed. She's 6 though. Maybe more
patient. And sweet peas *need* picking. You can also use the Tomorite that
you were going to use on your tomatoes, sweet peas like it.

:-)

Sacha 25-06-2007 10:03 AM

flowers for a 2 year old...

On 25/6/07 09:49, in article
, "dj"
wrote:

My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

She also loves flowers. Picking them that is.

I thought the best plant for her would be something which grows fast,
and has lots of tiny flowers. Preferably in a pot.

Being a bit of a useless gardener, does anyone have a suggestion?

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel

Nasturtiums are good and if you plant mustard and cress she - or you - can
eat that, too. Bizzie Lizzies can be bought as little plants and with three
or four in a biggish pot you'll have loads of colour right now.
Another thing that helps deal with the lack-of-patience factor is if you
have grandparents that she visits. Plant something with her at their house
and when she visits it will have had time to grow! But it will be her
special bit of the grandparent garden.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Amethyst Deceiver 25-06-2007 03:18 PM

flowers for a 2 year old...

dj wrote:
My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

She also loves flowers. Picking them that is.

I thought the best plant for her would be something which grows fast,
and has lots of tiny flowers. Preferably in a pot.

Alyssum, or however it's spelt. That's what my dad started us off with.
Alyssum and nasturtiums.

Kate Morgan 25-06-2007 04:15 PM

flowers for a 2 year old...

"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
dj wrote:
My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

My 7 year old grandson only wanted to grow veg, carrots mostly, still does.
Teddy Bear sunflowers would be good maybe too late for this year but might
be worth a go.

kate

Wane Smooth 25-06-2007 04:17 PM

flowers for a 2 year old...

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 01:49:19 -0700, dj wrote:

My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

She also loves flowers. Picking them that is.

I thought the best plant for her would be something which grows fast,
and has lots of tiny flowers. Preferably in a pot.

Being a bit of a useless gardener, does anyone have a suggestion?

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,not a flower I know but,carrot tops in a saucer of water are good
one for kids. Quick,easy and could even be described as pretty to a two
year old.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

K 25-06-2007 08:43 PM

flowers for a 2 year old...

Wane Smooth writes
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 01:49:19 -0700, dj wrote:

My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

She also loves flowers. Picking them that is.

I thought the best plant for her would be something which grows fast,
and has lots of tiny flowers. Preferably in a pot.

Being a bit of a useless gardener, does anyone have a suggestion?

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,not a flower I know but,carrot tops in a saucer of water are good
one for kids. Quick,easy and could even be described as pretty to a two
year old.

Add parsnip tops, runner beans, mustard and cress and a couple of
plastic dinosaurs.
--
Kay

Gardener[_2_] 20-07-2007 08:24 PM

flowers for a 2 year old...

"dj" wrote in message
oups.com...
My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

She also loves flowers. Picking them that is.

I thought the best plant for her would be something which grows fast,
and has lots of tiny flowers. Preferably in a pot.

Being a bit of a useless gardener, does anyone have a suggestion?

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel

My 2 year old granddaughter loves to 'pinch' the petunias. She knows which
ones are supposed to be and leaves the living ones alone. In our town the
'square' has pots and pots of them also and she was so sad the last time we
went because they had already been done! Visit her Kylie's Garden he
lovemyskincare.com

A VERY proud Mamaw

Space[_2_] 20-07-2007 08:30 PM

flowers for a 2 year old...

"Gardener" wrote in message
et...

"dj" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I can't find the original post.
Might be a vista - mail thingy

anyway how about .....(help needed from the group).... the daisy like
flowers. you can get them in all colours. it begins with Oest......

Wane Smooth 20-07-2007 08:40 PM

flowers for a 2 year old...

Space explained :
"Gardener" wrote in message
et...

"dj" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Osteospermum

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

[email protected] 20-07-2007 09:43 PM

flowers for a 2 year old...

On Jun 25, 9:49 am, dj wrote:
My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

My two year old grandson loves snap dragons, he picks just one and
opens and shuts it, just like a mouth.

Judith

Sally Thompson 20-07-2007 10:04 PM

flowers for a 2 year old...

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:43:19 +0100, wrote
(in article . com):

On Jun 25, 9:49 am, dj wrote:
My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

My two year old grandson loves snap dragons, he picks just one and
opens and shuts it, just like a mouth.

I remember doing that as a child! Also making "poppy ladies" where you pull
the poppy petals downwards and tie them with a piece of grass to make a
skirt.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Klara 21-07-2007 05:04 PM

flowers for a 2 year old...

In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

On Jun 25, 9:49 am, dj wrote:
My darling 2 year old is loving gardening at the moment. She loves
watering plants and watching them grow. (She also loved pulling up the
tomato plants we had planted together and running around the garden
with them...)

My two year old grandson loves snap dragons, he picks just one and
opens and shuts it, just like a mouth.

I remember doing that as a child! Also making "poppy ladies" where you pull
the poppy petals downwards and tie them with a piece of grass to make a
skirt.

And petunia ballerinas - much the same way...!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin