GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Goldfinch weed ID please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/161517-goldfinch-weed-id-please.html)

Wane Smooth 10-07-2007 03:34 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please

Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one type
that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are covered
in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Uncle Marvo 10-07-2007 03:39 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please

, I, Marvo, say :

"Wane Smooth" wrote in message
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one
type that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are
covered in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Thistles??
Chris S

A goldfinch's favourite food is thistle seed, so I reckon you're right.

Wane Smooth 10-07-2007 03:46 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please

Uncle Marvo laid this down on his screen :
, I, Marvo, say :

"Wane Smooth" wrote in message
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one
type that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are
covered in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Thistles??
Chris S

A goldfinch's favourite food is thistle seed, so I reckon you're right.

Hi thanks for the quick replies. There are thistles in that area but
they have their spines along the edge of the leaf,is there a variety of
thistle that is as I described above?
Unfortunately with exquisite timing I've just run the mower over
them,so no pic!

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Wane Smooth 10-07-2007 04:30 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please-Anchusa arvensis

It happens that Wane Smooth formulated :
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one type that
the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of those)but
the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are covered in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

OK, think I got it.
Anchusa arvensis.
Thanks for the replies.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

K 10-07-2007 05:29 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please-Anchusa arvensis

Wane Smooth writes
It happens that Wane Smooth formulated :
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one
type that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are
covered in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

OK, think I got it.
Anchusa arvensis.
Thanks for the replies.

I'd be very surprised - it's a plant of bare sandy places rather than
lawns.
--
Kay

K 10-07-2007 05:29 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please

Wane Smooth writes
Uncle Marvo laid this down on his screen :
this in , I, Marvo, say :

[...]

Ox-tongue, Picris echiodes. Not a thistle, but in the daisy family, as
are dandelions and thistles. It has rough leaves with spines growing
from pimples on the surface of the leaf - very characteristic.
--
Kay

Wane Smooth 10-07-2007 06:10 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please-Anchusa arvensis

K was thinking very hard :
Wane Smooth writes
It happens that Wane Smooth formulated :
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one type
that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are covered in
sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

OK, think I got it.
Anchusa arvensis.
Thanks for the replies.

I'd be very surprised - it's a plant of bare sandy places rather than lawns.

Yep, I agree after reading up on it.
It's not just in the lawn though,its was everywhere.
We do sow pkts.of wildflower seeds,and about 3 years ago we set off
traveling.The kids did a wonderful job of ignoring the garden so it was
a jungle on our return this year,and the only bit I havn't weeded is
the lawn,then enter the goldfinches,hence my original question.
I'll have to let some flower and see.Whatever it is,if the goldfinches
like it,I like it.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Wane Smooth 10-07-2007 07:49 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please-some pics

After serious thinking K wrote :
Wane Smooth writes
[...]

Sounds right here are some pics,the larger plant was amongst my
beetroot.
Picris echiodes?

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Wane Smooth 10-07-2007 07:53 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please-some pics

Wane Smooth explained on 10/07/2007 :
After serious thinking K wrote :
Wane Smooth writes
Uncle Marvo laid this down on his screen :
in , I, Marvo, say :

[...]

Bugger,*here* are some pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8760537@N06/
:/

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

K 10-07-2007 09:48 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please-some pics

Wane Smooth writes
Wane Smooth explained on 10/07/2007 :
After serious thinking K wrote :

Ox-tongue, Picris echiodes. Not a thistle, but in the daisy family,
as are dandelions and thistles. It has rough leaves with spines
growing from pimples on the surface of the leaf - very characteristic.

Sounds right here are some pics,the larger plant was amongst my beetroot.
Picris echiodes?

Bugger,*here* are some pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8760537@N06/
:/

Looks about right. Do a Google images search on Picris and see what you
think - not easy to find pics showing the leaves, though.
--
Kay

Barb[_3_] 10-07-2007 10:13 PM

Goldfinch weed ID please

"Wane Smooth" wrote in message
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one type
that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.

Could it be teasel. I have lots of those in my wildlife area and the
goldfinches love them particularly when the seed heads appear in the autumn.
There is a picture here
http://www.co.stevens.wa.us/weedboar...weeds/tsl1.jpg

--
Barb