Old 10-07-2007, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Goldfinch weed ID please

Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one type
that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are covered
in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Old 10-07-2007, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Wane Smooth" wrote in message
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one
type that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are
covered in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Thistles??
Chris S

A goldfinch's favourite food is thistle seed, so I reckon you're right.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo laid this down on his screen :
, I, Marvo, say :

"Wane Smooth" wrote in message
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one
type that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are
covered in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Thistles??
Chris S

A goldfinch's favourite food is thistle seed, so I reckon you're right.

Hi thanks for the quick replies. There are thistles in that area but
they have their spines along the edge of the leaf,is there a variety of
thistle that is as I described above?
Unfortunately with exquisite timing I've just run the mower over
them,so no pic!

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Old 10-07-2007, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Goldfinch weed ID please-Anchusa arvensis

It happens that Wane Smooth formulated :
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one type that
the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of those)but
the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are covered in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

OK, think I got it.
Anchusa arvensis.
Thanks for the replies.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Old 10-07-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Wane Smooth writes
It happens that Wane Smooth formulated :
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one
type that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are
covered in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

OK, think I got it.
Anchusa arvensis.
Thanks for the replies.

I'd be very surprised - it's a plant of bare sandy places rather than
lawns.
--
Kay
Old 10-07-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Wane Smooth writes
Uncle Marvo laid this down on his screen :
this in , I, Marvo, say :

[...]

Ox-tongue, Picris echiodes. Not a thistle, but in the daisy family, as
are dandelions and thistles. It has rough leaves with spines growing
from pimples on the surface of the leaf - very characteristic.
--
Kay
Old 10-07-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K was thinking very hard :
Wane Smooth writes
It happens that Wane Smooth formulated :
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one type
that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are covered in
sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

OK, think I got it.
Anchusa arvensis.
Thanks for the replies.

I'd be very surprised - it's a plant of bare sandy places rather than lawns.

Yep, I agree after reading up on it.
It's not just in the lawn though,its was everywhere.
We do sow pkts.of wildflower seeds,and about 3 years ago we set off
traveling.The kids did a wonderful job of ignoring the garden so it was
a jungle on our return this year,and the only bit I havn't weeded is
the lawn,then enter the goldfinches,hence my original question.
I'll have to let some flower and see.Whatever it is,if the goldfinches
like it,I like it.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Old 10-07-2007, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Goldfinch weed ID please-some pics

After serious thinking K wrote :
Wane Smooth writes
[...]

Sounds right here are some pics,the larger plant was amongst my
beetroot.
Picris echiodes?

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wane Smooth explained on 10/07/2007 :
After serious thinking K wrote :
Wane Smooth writes
Uncle Marvo laid this down on his screen :
in , I, Marvo, say :

[...]

Bugger,*here* are some pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8760537@N06/
:/

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Old 10-07-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Wane Smooth writes
Wane Smooth explained on 10/07/2007 :
After serious thinking K wrote :

Ox-tongue, Picris echiodes. Not a thistle, but in the daisy family,
as are dandelions and thistles. It has rough leaves with spines
growing from pimples on the surface of the leaf - very characteristic.

Sounds right here are some pics,the larger plant was amongst my beetroot.
Picris echiodes?

Bugger,*here* are some pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8760537@N06/
:/

Looks about right. Do a Google images search on Picris and see what you
think - not easy to find pics showing the leaves, though.
--
Kay
Old 10-07-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wane Smooth" wrote in message
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one type
that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.

Could it be teasel. I have lots of those in my wildlife area and the
goldfinches love them particularly when the seed heads appear in the autumn.
There is a picture here
http://www.co.stevens.wa.us/weedboar...weeds/tsl1.jpg

--
Barb

Goldfinch landing Padraig Garden Photos 0 10-01-2007 03:00 AM
Goldfinch in my olive tree Padraig Garden Photos 0 10-01-2007 12:11 AM
goldfinch NAearthMOM Gardening 16 12-08-2003 02:32 AM
goldfinch - house finch B & J Gardening 2 09-08-2003 09:02 PM
goldfinch attacking windows [email protected] Gardening 3 04-07-2003 05:08 AM