Old 17-07-2007, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Puya venusta

Ours is flowering outside in the bed above the tea room door. It's a fairly
steeply sloping bed so we hope the wet weather won't affect the plant but
right now it has two flower spikes on it and looks very happy, if a little
weird and other-worldly.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-07-2007, 04:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:
Ours is flowering outside in the bed above the tea room door. It's a fairly
steeply sloping bed so we hope the wet weather won't affect the plant but
right now it has two flower spikes on it and looks very happy, if a little
weird and other-worldly.

Oh well done! The flowering of Puyas is always an 'event' even in
much warmer climates where they do so with greater regularity. I can't
remember ever having seen the plant, although I must have passed it
countless times. How far advanced are the flower spikes? I must pop
over and see. It's a very fine species with 4 foot high, dense,
branched spikes of pink bracted, intense blue flowers. That 'other-
worldly' description is very apt for many species of Puya. When they
flower they are so very different to any other plant.

I've had P. alpestris flower a couple of times here and every time it
performs, I spent hours looking at their extraordinary form. The only
drawback with most Puyas is that their leaves are absolutely lethal
and designed to rip into your skin. I got 'hammered' by mine 10 days
ago and it looks as though I'll get a nice scar on my forearm as a
reminder. I'd have more if I had more space, but it's already a bit
of an obstacle course getting around here and I can't risk having too
many plants that bite!

Old 19-07-2007, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/7/07 04:38, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Ours is flowering outside in the bed above the tea room door. It's a fairly
steeply sloping bed so we hope the wet weather won't affect the plant but
right now it has two flower spikes on it and looks very happy, if a little
weird and other-worldly.

Oh well done! The flowering of Puyas is always an 'event' even in
much warmer climates where they do so with greater regularity. I can't
remember ever having seen the plant, although I must have passed it
countless times. How far advanced are the flower spikes? I must pop
over and see. It's a very fine species with 4 foot high, dense,
branched spikes of pink bracted, intense blue flowers. That 'other-
worldly' description is very apt for many species of Puya. When they
flower they are so very different to any other plant.

The spikes are fully developed and the flowers are starting to open. These
two sunny days should help that a lot. In fact, you've reminded me that I
must go and photograph it. We'd love you to confirm our ID of it because,
naturally, Ray can't remember where he got it from. ;-) It's on the side
of the path that runs behind the little conservatory greenhouse, towards
Matthew's cottage.

I've had P. alpestris flower a couple of times here and every time it
performs, I spent hours looking at their extraordinary form. The only
drawback with most Puyas is that their leaves are absolutely lethal
and designed to rip into your skin. I got 'hammered' by mine 10 days
ago and it looks as though I'll get a nice scar on my forearm as a
reminder. I'd have more if I had more space, but it's already a bit
of an obstacle course getting around here and I can't risk having too
many plants that bite!

Lethal is right. Don't they snare animals which then die and fertilise the
ground for them?! Our P. venusta is nothing like as showy as P.alpestris -
the colours are much 'quieter' and it isn't as tall. I'm thinking we
should try both those and perhaps some Leucodendrons (if they come from the
saved seed from Tresco) in one of the car park borders. It gets very windy
there but it could be the wet that will be the problem. We want to try to
push the boundaries a bit and see what of those types things will survive
with us if we can find time to make a raised bed for them, perhaps.

Old 19-07-2007, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 19/7/07 04:38, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

If you can't push the boundaries down South then what chance do I have in
wet and windy Yorkshi-) I've got several Puya growing in a raised bed
and they survived the winter OK (what winter?). I can't remember the names,
nor can I get a decent photo because they are all still clothed in dead
beech leaves. Much to the amusement of the local rif-raf ,I tried to vac the
leaves out -but no success.
Are these things monocarpic and just Kark it:-)

Old 19-07-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/7/07 11:03, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip

If you can't push the boundaries down South then what chance do I have in
wet and windy Yorkshi-) I've got several Puya growing in a raised bed
and they survived the winter OK (what winter?). I can't remember the names,
nor can I get a decent photo because they are all still clothed in dead
beech leaves. Much to the amusement of the local rif-raf ,I tried to vac the
leaves out -but no success.
Are these things monocarpic and just Kark it:-)

I think they're monocarpic but send out several suckers. According to the
books it will take -6C but I think our problem would be wet more than cold.
-6 happens here but not often and not for long, usually. Your raised beds
seem to be a very good idea and just what we're hoping to be able to do here
for one or two more tender things.