Old 27-07-2007, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default In the hedgerows...

Well, a park and Sainsbury's car park to be honest. No photos but I'll try a
description and see if we're going to die or not...

Tree, approx 20ft. Dark green smallish leaves. Fruits either ripen to a dark
cherry red or a very splendid yellow. Much like a small plum about the size
of a cherry tomato. Taste like plums but not as strong... Small stone
inside.

These seem to be everywhere at the moment with little piles of fruit below
as no one else seems to be eating them. Seen them on roadsides driving about
as well as the aforementioned places..

Any ideas?

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their bodies
and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 27-07-2007, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Russel Sprout writes

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message

Well, a park and Sainsbury's car park to be honest. No photos but I'll try
a description and see if we're going to die or not...

Tree, approx 20ft. Dark green smallish leaves. Fruits either ripen to a
dark cherry red or a very splendid yellow. Much like a small plum about
the size of a cherry tomato. Taste like plums but not as strong... Small
stone inside.

These seem to be everywhere at the moment with little piles of fruit below
as no one else seems to be eating them. Seen them on roadsides driving
about as well as the aforementioned places..

Any ideas?

Les

Damson or Bullace

Damsons are usually purple.

What shape? Plum shape or rounder? Could be cherry plum - myrobalan

--
Kay
Old 27-07-2007, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Damson or Bullace

Damsons are usually purple.

What shape? Plum shape or rounder? Could be cherry plum - myrobalan

Very round... red, not purple and bigger than Damsons. The yellow ones are
very striking.

Les

Old 27-07-2007, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

What shape? Plum shape or rounder? Could be cherry plum - myrobalan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_plum

Sure this is it. Nice one K. They are used as a hedging / tree locally and
no one eats them. So much fruit that branches droop and piles appear on the
floor. We're doing our best but there is only so much you can eat, jam,
freeze etc.

Les

Old 27-07-2007, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.biglittlefruit.co.uk/cherryplums.htm )

Old 27-07-2007, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Les Hemmings writes
K wrote:

What shape? Plum shape or rounder? Could be cherry plum - myrobalan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_plum

Sure this is it. Nice one K. They are used as a hedging / tree locally and
no one eats them. So much fruit that branches droop and piles appear on the
floor. We're doing our best but there is only so much you can eat, jam,
freeze etc.

I'd have thought cherry plums were smaller than damsons. But they are
used as hedging.
--
Kay
Old 27-07-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/07 22:32, in article , "K"
wrote:

Les Hemmings writes
K wrote:

What shape? Plum shape or rounder? Could be cherry plum - myrobalan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_plum

Sure this is it. Nice one K. They are used as a hedging / tree locally and
no one eats them. So much fruit that branches droop and piles appear on the
floor. We're doing our best but there is only so much you can eat, jam,
freeze etc.

I'd have thought cherry plums were smaller than damsons. But they are
used as hedging.

Which reminds me....a week or so ago we were in our local hardware shop and
the owner produced a fruit and asked us to ID it. It was two or three times
the size of a cherry and cherry coloured. It didn't have the line around it
that damson fruits have but was perfectly round and according to the owners,
its tree is very thorny. Does anyone have any ideas?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-07-2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
news
Russel Sprout writes

[...]

I am sure someone posted a really good link about Bullaces and plums last
year and it turned out they were different colours in different parts of the
country.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-07-2007, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Les Hemmings writes
K wrote:

What shape? Plum shape or rounder? Could be cherry plum - myrobalan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_plum

Sure this is it. Nice one K. They are used as a hedging / tree locally and
no one eats them. So much fruit that branches droop and piles appear on
the
floor. We're doing our best but there is only so much you can eat, jam,
freeze etc.

I'd have thought cherry plums were smaller than damsons. But they are used
as hedging.
--
Kay

I'd have guessed at cherry plumbs with the fruit colour variation.

There are a lot around me, I always wondered why they were not sold in the
shops, to be told that they are to unreliable croppers, But have since seen
fruit nursery's selling named varieties