GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Allen shredder & similar users help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/162459-allen-shredder-similar-users-help.html)

Broadback 31-07-2007 10:17 AM

Allen shredder & similar users help

Following recommendations here I have purchased the above shredder. A
question or 2 please from users. It shreds easily and quickly, however
when shredding hedge cuttings through the large hopper I get quite a lot
of very fine shreddings (almost dust)blowing out of the chipper throat.
Is this normal, have I a problem, or is there a way to stop it? TIA

shazzbat 31-07-2007 12:13 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
Following recommendations here I have purchased the above shredder. A
question or 2 please from users. It shreds easily and quickly, however
when shredding hedge cuttings through the large hopper I get quite a lot
of very fine shreddings (almost dust)blowing out of the chipper throat. Is
this normal, have I a problem, or is there a way to stop it? TIA

Mine's an AL-Ko, and when it does that it's getting blocked up.

Steve

Hugh Jampton 31-07-2007 03:11 PM

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:17:56 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Following recommendations here I have purchased the above shredder. A
question or 2 please from users. It shreds easily and quickly, however
when shredding hedge cuttings through the large hopper I get quite a lot
of very fine shreddings (almost dust)blowing out of the chipper throat.
Is this normal, have I a problem, or is there a way to stop it? TIA

I've had an Allen for many years. It does sometimes do what you say but
only when the bag is getting too full or (as Shazzbat says) when it's
getting blocked. The Allen took a little getting used to but since I did,
it's been great :-)

HTH.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Broadback 31-07-2007 04:55 PM

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:17:56 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Following recommendations here I have purchased the above shredder. A
question or 2 please from users. It shreds easily and quickly, however
when shredding hedge cuttings through the large hopper I get quite a lot
of very fine shreddings (almost dust)blowing out of the chipper throat.
Is this normal, have I a problem, or is there a way to stop it? TIA

I've had an Allen for many years. It does sometimes do what you say but
only when the bag is getting too full or (as Shazzbat says) when it's
getting blocked. The Allen took a little getting used to but since I did,
it's been great :-)

HTH.

Thanks Folk, that was the problem. Now the problem is that it keeps
blocking, I even had to completely strip down to the blades at one
point. I am shredding hedge cuttings, feeding them into the hopper. It
eats them up no trouble, but starts to get blocked before the bag is 1/2
full, this at least necessitates taking off the discharge cover in order
to remove the screen and clean. Now as everyone says how good they are I
accept that I am doing something wrong, any ideas please? At the moment
it is taking me almost as long as with my electric shredder, as that
rarely blocks, if it does it take very little time to clear.

shazzbat 31-07-2007 05:02 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
Hugh Jampton wrote:
[...]

The blockage IME is due to the material being shredded being damp. Can you
dry it off a bit in the sun (now we've got some) for a couple of days before
shredding?

Steve

Hugh Jampton 31-07-2007 09:30 PM

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:55:36 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Thanks Folk, that was the problem. Now the problem is that it keeps
blocking, I even had to completely strip down to the blades at one
point. I am shredding hedge cuttings, feeding them into the hopper. It
eats them up no trouble, but starts to get blocked before the bag is 1/2
full, this at least necessitates taking off the discharge cover in order
to remove the screen and clean. Now as everyone says how good they are I
accept that I am doing something wrong, any ideas please? At the moment
it is taking me almost as long as with my electric shredder, as that
rarely blocks, if it does it take very little time to clear.

Shazzbat suggests it's wet stuff causing the problem. My Allen copes with
wet(ish) hawthorn/privet and similar *but* I well remember the day I tried
to shred new potato stalks and leaves just after digging - blocked the
shredder totally - had to take it to bits to clear it :-(

Is it getting blocked on the entrance or discharge ? If on discharge then I
think it's probably caused by wet - but if your electric shredder copes
with that kind of stuff then I find it odd. If on entrance then mine does
that occasionally - it's the way you feed it :-)

Sorry you're having problems - I really would be lost without my Allen and
hope you get sorted soon - please keep us informed.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

WaltA 01-08-2007 02:02 AM

wrote:
I accept that I am doing something wrong, any ideas please?

Perhaps you arnt doing anything wrong, it could be that we have not
encountered your type of hedge/conditions ! :-!))
Well, gotta blame it on something, it isnt computer driven, so blaming
that is out ;)
but I can imagine you are somewhat disheartened after spending all
that dosh :(

The only idea I have at the mo.
( in addition to what has been said by the others, like whom I am a
bit mystified cos I've had no troubles like this, else I wouldnt have
been one of the ones recommending it, as you can imagine !)
is to wonder if the hammers are all free to move on their pivots ?

The blades at the front, insideof the chute, are just the first
stage(PS*), then there is a set of pivoted hammers that should mangle
(masticate ! ) the bits before squidging them through the output gate.

Is is a new machine or s/hand ? If the former then the tolerances on
manufacture are (were) a bit tight, two of my (9?, its a long time
since I took it apart) hammers (flails) were not free to move
initially.
If s/h then perhaps they have rusted up ?

The rest is just witterings in the hope that something will emerge :--

What type of hedge ? I use mine on private ( large leaf stuff) and on
that horrid wee leaved thing that some call private but is something
else I think and laurel formal hedgings, but rather more copious
quantities of general shrubs, undergrowth, brambles, tree prunings
etc.
all go through without problems.

Are your hedge trimmings all really wet leafy green stuff or does it
include lots of the wee twiggy bits ?

If it is all wet leafy green stuff, have you got other twiggy/woody
stuff to include with it ?
Or even a few branches to shove down the chipper shut to clear the
clog ?

I agree that potato haulm could well clog it up, but I have copious
quantities of autumn fall wet beech leaves to sweep up onto it,
or vacuum up with the rotary mower and tip into it ( Im impatient and
want my leafmold heaps to break down quick !) No prob.

Im out of ideas, I'll have another ginger wine to see if that tells me
anything !

(*PS) else it would produce stuff just like a flymo

WaltA 01-08-2007 02:17 AM

Allen shredder & similar users help

PPS
This is what I do to check my hammers/flails
I am not suggesting that anyone else does this

remove spark plug cap, and if really really wimpish, back of the spark
plug to remove compression,,,,

reach down the chute and push/shove/rotate the blades incrementally
till, wth the other hand, feel, up through the outet shield, the
hammers enter the output grill, check that each is free to move.
some may be a bit stiff to your fingers, but centrifugals when under
power will be no bother to them !

WaltA 03-08-2007 01:40 AM

wrote:
Following recommendations here I have purchased the above shredder. A
question or 2 please from users. It shreds easily and quickly, however
when shredding hedge cuttings through the large hopper I get quite a lot
of very fine shreddings (almost dust)blowing out of the chipper throat.
Is this normal, have I a problem, or is there a way to stop it? TIA

Have you got it sorted ?

Broadback 03-08-2007 06:23 PM

wrote:
Following recommendations here I have purchased the above shredder. A
question or 2 please from users. It shreds easily and quickly, however
when shredding hedge cuttings through the large hopper I get quite a lot
of very fine shreddings (almost dust)blowing out of the chipper throat.
Is this normal, have I a problem, or is there a way to stop it? TIA

Have you got it sorted ?

Having been away for a couple of days I have not yet tried all the
recommendation's, for which I thank you. I am shredding cuttings from
holly, beech and mainly hawthorn. The problem was worse when I threw
some broad been stalks in, I learnt that lesson. As regards the hammers
mentioned I can see none of those in my shredder. There is a disk which
has cutters on, on the reverse side is a cutter to deal with bigger
sticks. Incidentally feeding sticks in is a bit of a problem, as they
are not drawn in but need feeding all the way, which of course is not
possible, without finger risk. Finally there is a metal bar, about 4cm
wide, 25cm long with a hole at one end and chamfered at the other, what
is that for please?

WaltA 03-08-2007 10:24 PM

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:23:33 +0100, Broadback wrote:
WaltA wrote:
Have you got it sorted ?

Having been away for a couple of days

Phew, that's a relief, I thought for a mo. you might have thrown it
off a high cliff in frustration !

I have not yet tried all the
recommendation's, for which I thank you. I am shredding cuttings from
holly, beech and mainly hawthorn.

It should cope with all that.

. As regards the hammers
mentioned I can see none of those in my shredder.

Oh gosh, what is going on ,,, ?

There is a disk which
has cutters on, on the reverse side is a cutter to deal with bigger
sticks.

Oh umm, I dunno what to say
a) have they changed the design ?
or
b) is there more than one Allen shredder
or c) were you not looking in the right place ( I think we can reject
that ! )

wrt (a) I said in my previous post in the original "Shredders" thread
that I could be many years out of date !
Anyhows :
my Allen has a 3 bladed cutter, like a rotary mower on its side but
with 3 instead if 2 blades mounted on the boss(protruding hub) at the
centre of the disk.
On the reverse of this disk it the chipper blade that is a bit like a
blade out of a woodworking plane.

BUT the disc also has a web, (cast in ?) of the same thickness
(approx, I think !) as the hub, which supports at the disk periphery
3 sets of 3 fingers/flails/hammers that do the shredding ( the cutter
blades just cut the stuff up into small bits that are then mashed up
and pulverised by the flails.

Hmmm, it is a bit difficult to describe in words ! The 3 mountings
each support 3 flails, and the axis of the pivot for each flail, one
in front of the other, is aligned with the axis of rotation of the
disk.

It is sort of like a disk with 3 bolts fixed to the edge, each bolt is
in line with the axis of the disk, each bolt carries 3 spaced out
flails, Thes flails are flung outwards and poke between the grating
that is the output grill.

So if you dont have them then it is just a glorified rotary mower,
and I am very puzzled ! :( (**)

Incidentally feeding sticks in is a bit of a problem, as they
are not drawn in but need feeding all the way,

with mine there is some drawing in of the stick, but depending upon
shape and nobbly bits I sometimes have to shove the last bit in by
hand, well NO! not by hand but with another stick as a 'dolly'.
it is as well to have such a sacrificial stick to hand, it can be kept
for reuse if you are carefull with its use, but better that than your
fingers !

which of course is not
possible, without finger risk.

perish the thought !

Finally there is a metal bar, about 4cm
wide, 25cm long with a hole at one end and chamfered at the other, what
is that for please?

I dont recognise that :( so either I have a brain failure or there is
summat different, back to (a) or (b) :-(

(**)
Does your machine look like this, which I linked in the original
thread :
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/...DERS_1100.html
(beware word wrap)

Anthony 04-08-2007 12:56 AM

WaltA wrote:
[...]

They do produce different models, leaf chipper/shredder and
chipper/shredder.
The former have serreted shredder blades, and the latter a blade and
hammers.

Have a look on the Mackissic website to see if they have parts diagrams to
help identify your machine.

Cheers
Anthony

WaltA 04-08-2007 02:07 AM

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 00:56:35 +0100, "Anthony" wrote:

Have a look on the Mackissic website to see if they have parts diagrams to
help identify your machine.

Thanks for the link

From the home page go to "consumer"
on the resulting "CONSUMER LINE-UP " page go to
"Leaf Shredder and Chipper"
click on LSC506IC

Externally mine is that shape but painted red, it has a 5hp B&S
engine, not 6.5 as shown.

Back up to "CONSUMER LINE-UP " page and then click on
"MIGHTY MAC PARTS BREAK DOWN "and download the pdf.

most parts look similar to my machine except for
9a "Shredder Plate Weldment", mine is quite different
and
11 "Shredder Rack Teeth" is absent in my machine.

Not shown in that pdf are 3 sets of 3 flails/hammers nor the 3 pivot
assemblies.

22 "Bar Screen" is similar to that on my machine and it is through the
three slots in that screen that the outer portions of each flail pass.

[In fact on the demo machine a bearing on the mainshaft developed some
'play' and the flails did no longer pass through the slots and the
whole enterpise came to a screeching halt ! ]

I presume that the 3 blades are now part of 9a on the side not shown ?
I presume that "weldment" means a welded/fabricated plate whereas,
from memory, mine is a "3D" casting,
I say 3D to imply considerable thickness in the axial direction with
all its webs and supports for the flail pivots.

So, to cut a long story short, it seems that they have changed the
design of the main functional item :(

WaltA 04-08-2007 02:19 AM

Allen shredder & similar users help

I presume that the 3 blades are now part of 9a on the side not shown ?

Oh, sillyme ! When Broadback said
"There is a disk which has cutters on"

I imagined cutting blades like on mine, but now I see that
11"Shredder Rack Teeth"
I suppose those are the new cutters ?

Broadback 04-08-2007 02:30 PM

WaltA wrote:
I presume that the 3 blades are now part of 9a on the side not shown ?

Oh, sillyme ! When Broadback said
"There is a disk which has cutters on"

I imagined cutting blades like on mine, but now I see that
11"Shredder Rack Teeth"
I suppose those are the new cutters ?

Many thanks everyone for your help, indeed Walt it is as you described,
very clear. I have just happily shred my hedge clippings in record time
with no jams. I "turned" the piles yesterday so that the moister on the
bottom dried off, also I kept and eye on the bag, when it stopped
jumping with excitement (about 1/2 full) I stopped and emptied it. Which
did the trick I do not know, will see how it deals with my fruit tree
prunings and leaves later in the year. I am disappointed with the branch
cutter, I would have expected it to pull them through once started. The
result is the last foot or so cannot be chopped.