Old 02-08-2007, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default giant pink meadowsweet

I came across a giant pink Filependula on my travels today, sans any
visible label. From Google Image Search it looks like Filependula rubra.
However, checking my files, I find I photographed 4 years ago what looks
like the same taxon, at another location, under the name Filependula
palmata rubra.

Anyone know about the taxonomy here?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I don't know if this helps, but F.palmata is a valid species with
several variants and quite a few cultivars have become available over
the years. It seems to be rather variable with relative dwarfs and
semi-giants cropping up from time to time. F. palmata 'rubra' is one
of the better known varieties with bronzed leaves, red tinted buds
that open reddish pink before fading eventually to white. Growth is
to about 5 feet when in full flower although plants grown in drier
soil will be somewhat shorter.

It should not be confused with the deep green-leaved, paler flowered
F. rubra, which is a very much larger plant growing to 8 feet or so on
a good, rich, very moist (or wet!) soil. Whereas F.palmata originates
from eastern Russia down through to China, F. rubra is a native of the
eastern states of the US.

HTH

Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, Dave
Poole writes
I don't know if this helps, but F.palmata is a valid species with
several variants and quite a few cultivars have become available over
the years. It seems to be rather variable with relative dwarfs and
semi-giants cropping up from time to time. F. palmata 'rubra' is one
of the better known varieties with bronzed leaves, red tinted buds
that open reddish pink before fading eventually to white. Growth is
to about 5 feet when in full flower although plants grown in drier
soil will be somewhat shorter.

It should not be confused with the deep green-leaved, paler flowered
F. rubra, which is a very much larger plant growing to 8 feet or so on
a good, rich, very moist (or wet!) soil. Whereas F.palmata originates
from eastern Russia down through to China, F. rubra is a native of the
eastern states of the US.

HTH

That lets me know what I should be looking for on the web. The plant I
saw was about 5 feet tall, but without bronzed leaves, so tentatively it
would be Filependula palmata.

Thanks.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley